Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bad feeling about NSD
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Bad feeling about NSD

Feb 6, 2018, 4:32 AM

Can’t see any positives. It seems that guys would be knocking down the door to get into Clemson, but it’s not happening at certain positions. We are loaded at DL, LBs, but can’t seem to get enough 4 and 5* guys in the defensive backfield. I have this bad feeling that Wednesday is going to be a slow day for Clemson and we will ultimately strikeout on all the eggs we put in one basket.

I trust Dabo and crew and their honesty, but their honesty could still be honesty by telling recruits what they want to hear. Bryan Edwards, OrTre Smith, and Joyner are going to SC because we told them point blank “you can’t make it here at this spot and we see you as a ______.” That honesty, while commendable, has given SC some talent they should have never gotten. And the only thing SC can sell to the recruits is early playing time,play the position you want, and get tons of exposure in the SEC.

As it stands we could definitely use another receiver or two, as much secondary as we can get, and another offensive lineman. Oh yeah, another recruit we could definitely use in Wynn. We told him that we saw him as an interior lineman. He wanted to play DE. Bama tells him what he wanted to hear. We could have told him that he could come in, work hard, and then once he gets in and we see he is better inside then we start talking to him about the opportunities.

I love Dabo and the staff, but something is missing to not be able to fill up on 4 and 5* guys at CB and safety.

Here’s to hoping that Dabo has some surprises in store and we don’t strikeout on Wednesday

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clueless****

Feb 6, 2018, 4:41 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clueless****

Feb 6, 2018, 4:44 AM

Care to elaborate? I don’t mean to sound clueless. I just worry that we are going to be thin in our secondary. And as luck would have it, we have what seems to be a good bit of scholarships available and everyone we were hoping for we seem to be coming up short with.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you seriously "worry"...

Feb 6, 2018, 9:40 AM

about the decisions of a group of 18 year old kids, you may need to be more concerned about your priorities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 6, 2018, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Clueless**** ]

There's nothing thin about Mullens, Terrell, Fields, Wallace, LeAnthony Williams....plenty of guys in the secondary right now. We'll get more whether its this year or next. Just chill

Feb 6, 2018, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Clueless**** ]

Mullen, Terrell, Williams, Fields at CB.
Wallace, Muse, Simmons, Johnson at S.

We are just fine.

Throw in McMichael and possible Goodrich, Campbell, or Surtain and we are solid.

Feb 6, 2018, 4:57 AM [ in reply to Clueless**** ]

I agree Carlsbad clueless, for God's sake Bravetiger only Georgia will sign more 5 star recruits than Clemson this year.

Feb 6, 2018, 5:03 AM

Guys, I’m totally pleased with who we already have. I was looking in Rivals earlier and we have 5 each of 5*, 4*, and 3* recruits giving us an average recruit ranking of 4*. That is unbelievable. I’m simply talking about all of the DBs we are going after late like Goodrich, Flowers, Surtain, and O’Neal (TAMU). We really need to have some depth there. I’m not downing recruiting as a whole. It is the best it has ever been. I didn’t mean to sound negative. I just have a feeling we will come up empty tomorrow.

We can't get them all. We have a great class as is.******

Feb 6, 2018, 5:17 AM

Re: We can't get them all. We have a great class as is.******

Feb 6, 2018, 8:40 AM

We also have so much talent coming back that could have gone pro that it's scary. I am not worried in the least about our future. While it would be nice to add to our quality resources, most teams lust after what we have. Our future is very bright!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well then which are you

Feb 6, 2018, 6:26 AM [ in reply to Clueless**** ]

loving and trusting or queasy and can see no positives

See, this is what happens ...

Feb 6, 2018, 5:33 AM

... to kids who get to see all their Christmas presents early.

Then they feel disappointed on Christmas Day.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: See, this is what happens ...

Feb 6, 2018, 8:05 AM

I like it apextiger! You are 100% correct.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bad feeling about NSD

Feb 6, 2018, 6:08 AM

Here’s something. Don’t let an 18 year old kids decision determine your happiness

In other news we’ve signed the best class in terms of average star rating ever. So there’s that

Terrell was the top CB in last years class...***

Feb 6, 2018, 6:14 AM

You sound more like cowardtiger than a bravetiger

Feb 6, 2018, 6:29 AM

Put on your big boy pants and let it unfold.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You sound more like cowardtiger than a bravetiger

Feb 6, 2018, 7:05 AM

You guys are taking this the wrong way. I am happy with who we got. I may have gotten my hopes up at getting a 5* DB and another top OL in this class, but happy nonetheless.

And my name is brave tiger because I’m also an Atlanta Braves fan. Don’t worry guys. I’m not on the ledge about to jump. Maybe just a little greedy for Clemson. Lol

Re: You sound more like cowardtiger than a bravetiger

Feb 6, 2018, 8:44 AM

I like the greed for more quality, but our cupboard is hardly bare. We are going to be just fine, and we have, in house, so much more than so many wannabe programs out there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i fully expect to sign maybe one target tomorrow..goodrich

Feb 6, 2018, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: You sound more like cowardtiger than a bravetiger ]

I think all the rest are going elsewhere. Heard that we are only showing 1 spot left for DB which means we aren't taking 2 or more than likely we only have 1 CB still on the board showing interest (my guess is Goodrich.) I think DAx goes to vT b/c of parents direction, Ross stays home and goes to Bama (too much opportunity and convenience to pass up), Gouraige stays with Uf. You might possibly see a take at another OL on the backup list. But tomorrow will probably be ho hum. Just my guess of course.

Next year we're going to have a ton of scholarships and the class will be alot bigger than this one. We got our fill in the early signing. Top QB and Top DE and Top OL and a host of others that may prove they were the best in the class. So we good.

Feb 6, 2018, 7:02 AM

I don’t get the thin secondary. Mullen, Terrell, Williams, Fields, and McMichael were all 4* or higher. Add in Wallace, Simmons, Muse although underwhelmed last year, and a few depth guys and our secondary is ok. Not saying it’s DL depth good but no position unit is.

Feb 6, 2018, 12:54 PM

I think that you make a good point, but I'll put it a little different way. Just because many may see the defensive backfield as the weakest link, it is by no means weak. The DB recruiting might look better if you compare it to other teams instead of other positions.

What the hel-l is this?

Feb 6, 2018, 7:07 AM

You sound defeatist. The best is yet to come! Whatever happens tomorrow Clemson is going to have an elite class. Go Tigers!!!!!!

Feb 6, 2018, 7:22 AM

The " tons of exposure playing in the SEC " for Sackerlina ends with November , and if a kid can't deal with the truth about their wants versus our needs then there is no hope for resolution ... lying to a kid should never happen .
I think our NSD is going to be fantastic . Have you seen who we'll get signatures from ? Amazing job our staff has done for this class , yet again .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 6, 2018, 7:22 AM

I agree. With 17 to 20 scholarships available we should have signed at least 15 five star recruits already with an additional 4 or 5 five star recruits to come today. After all there are about 30 or so five stars aren’t there? We would still be leaving about 10 for other schools right? ??

Feb 6, 2018, 8:47 AM

Nice sarcasm! It is fitting. The sky is not falling at Clemson by any stretch of the imagination.

DB's are just WR's that can't catch...we're loaded at WR so

Feb 6, 2018, 8:04 AM

there's that. ;)

That's not the worst that can happen.

Feb 6, 2018, 8:36 AM

What if all the knives and forks in the world fall on our head?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The DB group is 1 Sr, 4 Jrs, 5 So, 2 Fr

Feb 6, 2018, 8:46 AM

They'll be casting a big net for DB's next year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Signing Day is now in December. Go check that list.***

Feb 6, 2018, 8:57 AM

Jaron Brown

Feb 6, 2018, 9:02 AM

Steve Superior did the same as Boom, while we were honest with players. I remember the coots sqwaking that we told Brown he was a WR offer only to get him to sign. Both parties held up to their end of the bargain. Brown put the necessary work in and the coaches coached him up all the way into an NFL WR. Brown didn't have to transfer to play WR and he didn't have to play DB. No school can use the Clemson just told him what he wanted to hear to get him to sign card, like they thought they would. Because we know they were ready to throw that stone from their glass house. Ha

Our coaches honesty is there to give the players the best chance at being successful and not waste time, effort, or a scholarship. Now, some players do grow into other positions and there are tweeners, but for the most part our coaches do an outstanding job.

How could we hang our hat on family and morals if we are running around lying to recruits just to get them to Clemson? Withholding (not telling the fullness of the matter) is in essence lying. We would be compromising our entire foundation for a recruit here or there - when we have the full capability to get guys maybe less ready out of high school and coach that gap away. We can't get them all but we will get what we need to remain competitive. There may be a year here or there that we was that one player away. However, that is few and far between to compromise the cornerstone that our program is built on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol***

Feb 6, 2018, 9:04 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sold all of your stock late yesterday didn't you?

Feb 6, 2018, 9:51 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2018, 9:55 AM

MSN has a list of top 100 HS players and where they are going. We've got 7 of them. 7% of the top 100 in this big nation of ours are coming to our relatively small school in our rather small state. I'd say that is a pretty big deal. Especially given the talent we already have and the fact that this looks to be a smallish class for us. So, when NSD is over, what percentage of our new signees are top 100? Im thinking it will be a fairly nice number. Therefore, aint skeered.

Feb 6, 2018, 11:44 AM

So tell them what they want to hear.
Change their positions when they get here.
Create a culture of mistrust and attitudes.
Ultimately kids on the recruiting trail hear about it.
In the end, dishonesty negatively affects us.

That’s what you want?
Dumb.

Feb 6, 2018, 12:37 PM

I think that something to keep in mind is that Dabo does not do some of the shifting around to allow him 25 scholarships every year. If numbers were not a question, then maybe Goodrich would have been a priority sooner and been a lock. I don't know if Flowers would have hit the radar sooner since he had been viewed as a baseball prospect but I think we would have had him sewn up by now if we made the effort. I know that Dax is not a defensive back, but he illustrates my point. He is a 4* that almost certainly would be a Clemson commit now if we would not have had to pull back because of numbers. Anyhow my point is that the way Dabo does things makes recruiting a juggling act where he has to keep more balls in the air than most. There are just too many for some not to fall and I think the coaching staff is strategic about the ones it puts in jeopardy.

As a sidenote, I am thrilled with McMichael after watching the Army All American game. He is a 4*, and from the limited amount that I have seen I have hopes that he is underrated at that.

Feb 6, 2018, 3:29 PM

Let me clear something up. I’m not saying to outright lie to recruits. I don’t want that to be Clemson’s reputation. I’m saying be up front with the recruit of where you think they would best fit, but tell them that you will let them come in and fight for a position where they want. That could end up in a guaranteed redshirt, but at least you were honest. Could you imagine having Bryan Edwards and Joyner in our secondary. I know we are loaded. Just want it to continue. I’m not a Debbie downer. I was just worried we may end up with no recruits signing tomorrow, plus it was late.

Feb 6, 2018, 3:37 PM

Luckily, tricking these kids into altering what they've worked their entire life for isn't the Clemson way regardless of what a few fans want. We do it right, have players that love to be in the system and have fun at the position they've always wanted to play and that is what wins us games. The Clemson way.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic