Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scott Frost might have made the wrong move
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 3,647

Scott Frost might have made the wrong move

Nov 13, 2019, 2:52 PM

that could last a career. I think he is an elite type of guy, but he is just getting drug down by a program that is in the dumpster.

Hope he gets out alive and onto a better gig. Article below.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28021916/is-nebraska-football-too-far-gone-even-scott-frost

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Scott Frost might have made the wrong move

Nov 13, 2019, 3:02 PM

I believe Nebraska is in better shape and in a better recruiting area than Minnesota was when Fleck took over there.

It's in a much better situation than what Baylor had when they hired their new coach most recently.

I realize those two teams are not on par with the truly elite teams, but to say Nebraska is too far gone for Frost is either not true or is an indictment on Frost.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 3:11 PM

"Don't know what you got til it's gone." (Cinderella, 80's hair band)
He was loved and was THE MAN at UCF. I bet down on in there somewhere he wishes he could go back and do that deal over and stay a Knight.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 3:13 PM

Fleck's advantage was that he was already a known and well liked coach in the northern, deep-fried cheese states that like ice fishing. He was already entrenched in the recruiting circles so a faster turn-around is a bit easier. Rhule & Baylor are in a hotbed of recruits with recent memories of Baylor "greatness". Again, likely had a decent stock combined with local easier offers.

Frost just has a higher mountain to climb, particularly with expectations. No recruit has a living memory of Nebraska being a football power, yet that is likely what the booster think of Nebraska.

For Frost, if he is successful, it will be playing the long "grind" rebuilding. If not, well Nebraska will spend another 30+ years in the woods or become the next Pitt.

Frost must extend recruiting territory but not easily done.

Nov 13, 2019, 3:23 PM

Midwest and Texas are opportunities but competition tough. Need players plus total program plus FB coaching ... missing any aspect and not likely Top 25. Frost does not have the athletes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just don’t think Scott Frost is that good.

Nov 13, 2019, 4:07 PM

I think his reputation (and ego) got inflated by the UCF wins.
But we have seen that just about any decent coach can win a lot of games there. He just happened to catch some magic one year and win them all.
Heupel almost did it there last year.

Not sold at all on Frost. I think Nebraska is the one who may have made the wrong move, but I don’t really blame them for taking the chance.

Nov 13, 2019, 4:55 PM

Nebraska does not have a lot of "home grown" talent, hence, they have to recruit far and wide. Maybe Frost has not learned he must recruit outside the home territory. Since Nebraska's program has been down, it does not have the appeal it once had as a power house. I thought Frost would get things turned around but it appears it's a tougher task than most of us realized.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 7:49 AM

Nebraska’s formula for success in the 70’s and 80’s was redshirt midwestern lineman, a weight and strength training program that was unequalled (steroids?), juco RBs that might have trouble getting in elsewhere, and the occasional blue chip in recruiting. This was combined with a powderpuff conference where the only other team with a pulse was Oklahoma. So win ONE big game a year and you are in the National discussion.

That formula no longer exists.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 5:23 PM

Well, I like Frost and think he's going to be a great coach at NE. But he did skip on Joe Burrow when Joe was in the transfer portal, and he took the other QB. That has to haunt him a little.

Nov 13, 2019, 5:36 PM

Agreed, I think Frost is a class act. I think Neb. has an administration problem like a lot of schools have. I hope it loosens up or at a minimum, doesn't follow Frost for life.

I don't see how Nebraska can ever recruit at the level they

Nov 13, 2019, 5:55 PM

need, and win like they used to, playing in the Big Ten, especially in a Western division that offers little to no sizzle for recruits per their schedule.

IMO they will continue to wallow, with occasional okay seasons, until they reconnect with their more natural Big 12 rivals and recruiting footprint.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 5:58 PM

Disagree wholeheartedly. I’ve seen that fan base. They’re engaged and love that program. To say he made a mistake is purely an opinion. He’s home, happy, making millions, coaching HIS team, and has the full support of the school and fan base. That’s more than a LOT of coaches can say.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And who knows, he may make something of it. Give him more time. He’s certainly trending in the right direction.

I couldn't care less about Scott Frost

Nov 14, 2019, 7:30 AM

I am just glad he does not coach at clemson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 3,647
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic