Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Saying>>What would you do to make Special Teams better?!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Saying>>What would you do to make Special Teams better?!

Feb 6, 2016, 12:08 PM

I'm not a coach but am sick & tired of this trash!! Being ranked 125 or so out of 128 Div 1 Teams in 2015 AND costing CLEMSON a deserved Natty Trophy is just too much!! SHAMEFUL.

What thinks you?

Gut eR Done!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saying>>What would you do to make Special Teams better?!

Feb 6, 2016, 12:24 PM

Someone, anyone, male or female, human or beast who can kick the ball out of the end zone!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Open practices to ANYONE, anywhere to PUNT!!***

Feb 6, 2016, 1:07 PM

Feb 6, 2016, 12:29 PM

I dont like that when we line up, we leave one hash mark to sideline completely open. I think the objective is to shorten the field, but if they get outside the gunners, he's gone. Which is what happened vs Alabama. Definitely must be a reason the coaches like that setup, but I dont like leaving one side of field open. But ill stick to watching them from my couch!

Go Tigers!

EXACTLY!***

Feb 6, 2016, 4:09 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2016, 12:30 PM

stop scoring so much, then we would not have to kick off so much.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2016, 12:34 PM

The main part is our execution. It's...past the point of abysmal, it's embarrassing. It definitely cost us the national title.

On coverage we have no lane integrity. Guys get out of their lanes, get crossed up, freelance, chase, get blocked when somebody sneezes on them hard. Our gunners are useless; you rarely see them get off their blocks, much less get downfield and put some pain into people.

Our blocking on returns is even worse. We never seem to put pressure on a punter, so we never block a kick, but we don't block for returns either...we've just sorta got 11 random guys out there, milling around and doing nothing in particular. Their gunners get off blocks and are usually on top of our punt returner before the ball arrives, so we essentially have a "fielder" - whose job it is is to fair-catch and then NOT muff the ball with a crowd of as many as a half-dozen guys all standing in a circle around him, and God help our returner if he tries to actually run with it; he'll be decapitated the moment he touches the ball. Not only does it often seem like Dabo is using the returner spots - especially the kickoff return spots - to involve guys who aren't seeing time somewhere else, but there is zero scheme, intensity, or method to the way we block ahead of the guy, so when our returner takes it out of the end zone, if he gets past the 15 it's unusual.

In contrast, we're giving the ball to the other team, usually, on their 30-yard line...minimum, and I've lost track of how many times it's much worse than that.

We're losing 150-200 "hidden" yards a game that way, and it's keeping games much, much closer than they should be despite the fact that we've had both a dominant O and a dominant D.

The solution? It's really simple. Get somebody in there who actually knows what they're doing, and make it a point of emphasis. Obviously that is not the case now...it's actually a little jarring, how bad we are at special teams, especially considering how good we are at so many other things.

Kick it out of bounds, until finding someone to kick thru EZ

Feb 6, 2016, 12:38 PM

Nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I logged in

Feb 6, 2016, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Saying>>What would you do to make Special Teams better?! ]

To thumbs up this post

Re: I logged in

Feb 6, 2016, 2:37 PM

So did I

With all the speed guys we have it surprises me

Feb 6, 2016, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Saying>>What would you do to make Special Teams better?! ]

It surprises me that we don't try and do more on the return game. With the playmakers we have this could be a huge weapon for us. I think we really have to either pick one or the other, go after the punter or block for the return man. The way it seems now is that we try and split the difference which just doesn't work, you can do both at the same time and be good at either. It also appears that we play punt safe a lot and are always expecting a fake punt and trying to either stop it or force them to actually kick it away, but when they do kick it this means no return and usually a long punt for them.

yes, safe protects the possession - the ball is the most

Feb 6, 2016, 1:32 PM

important thing in the game so personally, i'm all for it and get it.

there are sincere benes to doing it that way and they should not be overlooked or undervalued. first and foremost, it takes unnecessary penalties - first downs[=TO] out of play along with fakes plus rewards the defense for 3-n-outs and stops.

clemson gave up a grand total of 16 punt returns in 2015 for 97 yards and returned 27 for a total of 63 yards with the BALL being the benefit. who doesn't want to ensure the ball in #4's hands? who wants to see ray-ray[or other] put it on the ground in punt return thus flipping the field and taking a possession away?

would it be nice to improve, absolutely - no arguing there, but let's not lose perspective, overvalue one aspect while undervaluing another. it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things as we're not talking about a lot here.

KORs has a similar story save the 3 TDs, because my goodness, that's horrendous. Since 2008 clemson KORD has finished top 50 6 times & top 25ish 4 of those. in 2012 dabo and staff played with kicking it high & short[of TB] and hoping to pin the opponents inside their 20, which had varying degrees of success. i'm glad they moved on, but had kickers to do so.

in 2015, clemson gave up 117 yards/game in kor, which is partly a numbers game because of attempts.

71 opponent returns to 40 for clemson, the average difference per return is only 3 yards - it ain't all that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2016, 12:39 PM

take a page out beamers handbook and put the best players on the field on special teams instead of kids who see the field otherwise. Bruce smith was a first team all American and he was on every special team. That's why he was so good and his best teams had the best special teams. We have a habit of taking a kid and basically saying he can't play offense or defense but he can contribute on special teams. I think we need to rethink that approach. If someone's your best tackler he should be on kickoff coverage. If someone has the best hands he should be on return team. Your best pass rushers should be on punt block.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

skalski kick, lamar and shaq smith on either side of him***

Feb 6, 2016, 12:47 PM

Tackle.

Feb 6, 2016, 12:48 PM

We slightly get out of position and lose lanes and levels .... also take bad angles.

If Lakip didn't make a few tackles this year we would be

Feb 6, 2016, 1:01 PM

dead last.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

BTW improvements need to be made before Auburn.***

Feb 6, 2016, 1:01 PM

Feb 6, 2016, 1:08 PM

I'm not sure. My one complaint about Dabo is that he said all year long that this was a fixable issue. No excuse to basically be the worst ST program in the nation. It almost cost us the ACCCG and it did cost us the NC. Watch bammer ST over and over and over again and do everything that they do. If I'm not mistaken, they were the #1 ST program in the country.

positive reinforcement and encouragement!***

Feb 6, 2016, 1:28 PM

Feb 6, 2016, 1:32 PM

Find a kicker, then find a ST COACH.
If we don't, we lose more games because of it,simply as that.

Let big Wilkins kick it then bust up the wedge***

Feb 6, 2016, 1:46 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Find the best ST coordinator in CFB, then double his salary to come to Clemson.***

Feb 6, 2016, 1:48 PM

Feb 6, 2016, 4:01 PM

How about tackling the guy with the ball before he runs past the 25 (on their side).

Feb 6, 2016, 5:48 PM

Take a lesson from Urban. He's consistently had a top 10 special teams unit across multiple teams. The fix isn't "kick it out of the end zone every time", that rarely happens. The fix is in teaching proper coverage & assignments!

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2015/03/51639/film-study-breaking-down-osus-top-ten-kickoff-unit

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic