Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Say it again...I like the guys we have
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,739

Say it again...I like the guys we have

Jul 28, 2018, 2:14 PM

I keep going over Clemson's recruiting class...and I keep thinking they look exactly like what Dabo has always gotten.

We're thin on numbers at OL, and we could use another - preferably two - DT's since Belk defected. Be nice to land another big CB like Booth. Other than that...sorry, it's just really, really hard to freak on any of these guys.

We got the #1 duel-threat in the country in Taison Phommachanh. Again. He's pretty much the perfect signing - top-drawer physical tools, probably needs a year to redshirt and develop because of his competition level. A+ commit, hard to do any better (there isn't anybody better this year!) especially the year after signing Lawrence.

We have the kind of WR's we always get - an elite 9-man (or even 2-man!) in Frank Ladson, a Renfrow 5-slot clone in Brannon Spector. Ngata would likely project as a 2 or 9 as well and give us yet another full set of elite dudes. We have two really nice-looking TE prospects in Lay and Allen. If Ngata commits, it's another A+ year for us at WR/TE.

RB, I really like Chez Mellusi. Another north-south slasher who reminds me more than a little of Wayne Gallman, an upright dude who reads his hole, runs angry, and is through the tackles in about two steps. Would like another guy if possible but this guy can play. Grade: at least a solid "B".

OL, as everyone has mentioned, is a concern. Rayburn looks solid if not spectacular. Could REALLY use Webb, definitely need some quality numbers here. We still have 5 months to find them, though.

DL, we have three great takes. Tayquon Johnson was a steal, looks like a typical Clemson DT. Ruke Orhorhoro is a 3-star raw project DT/DE tweener with 6-star upside; he could be nothing, he could be a #1 overall pick one day. Good roll of the dice there; Michigan really wanted him. Logan Cash reminds me strongly of Shaq Lawson...a bit shorter than you'd like, but absolutely relentless. Like the dude a lot. We definitely need to find at least one more DT but we've definitely got three guys who were clear-and-obvious offer-worthy takes.

LB, we have four commits. I'm just so-so on Keith Maguire but he does look like at least a poor man's Dorian O'Daniel so we've got a clear idea of how exactly we're going to use him. He does appear to have the skillset to fit well in our D. Greg Williams is a camp kid we laid eyes on for an extended period of time; if Venables had to have him, Venables clearly saw something. Constantin is an elite prospect we noticed first (that happens a lot) and LaVonta Bentley is a guy who could have written his ticket to just about anywhere, up to and including Alabama. All things being equal, looks great to me.

DB, we have three guys who look like safeties (Charleston, Thornton, Zannders) and they look like what we've been recruiting ever since Venables has been here: long, rangy, obvious centerfielder cover skills. Sheridan Jones looks like yet another of those big-tall-long press CB's we've been doing so well with; he's another guy everybody would have taken. We need another CB - preferably Booth - but so far, so good. At least a B+ thus far, will jump to a solid "A" if we land Booth.

Aidan Swanson is the top-rated K in the country. Hard to do better than that.

So: we need OL. We need another DT. Would really be great to land Booth at CB. Another RB would be a plus, but only if he's a truly elite take.

After that...hard to see us doing much better, you know? The talent's plainly there...after that, it's how they develop and progress and gel as a team...and we do that better than anybody, yeah?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And it ain't over yet.***

Jul 28, 2018, 2:16 PM

Nice, even-keeled take... OLs, DT, CB, maybe RB... I agree.***

Jul 28, 2018, 2:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More quozzel - less RAG - looking at you FM and gwpcoot***

Jul 28, 2018, 2:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Say it again...I like the guys we have

Jul 28, 2018, 2:59 PM

I agree but would really like to see another quality DT signed. Need the depth next year but right now not looking like any top tackles looking at us. Hope that changes in coming months.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2018, 4:01 PM

There are always that group of top players that want to wait till Dec.or Feb. and Dabo has been good getting some of those guys. Trust the process.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2018, 4:05 PM

I agree with you quoz. We have the foundation for another great class.

We all know we will add some more blue chips closer to signing day, we always do. Fingers crossed for OL (specifically Webb)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. It would be preposterous to complain or worry about

Jul 28, 2018, 5:30 PM

our current group of commits. Still needs to fill, but 6+ months to go.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jul 28, 2018, 5:40 PM

Agree wholeheartedly Q , these are some good looking football players . Need a few good OL/DTs for depth ... but good looking class so far.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

My only complaint

Jul 28, 2018, 6:01 PM

And like you, I think I see a ton of upside in most of our commitments.
But...still feel the staff has under-avaluated OL.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,739
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic