Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Say What You Want About Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,752

Say What You Want About Brownell

Jan 27, 2019, 7:49 AM

But you have to remember that there are 3 starters (Reed, Mitchell and Skara) that are playing for the Tigers as their 2nd choice. All 3 tried to test the waters for professional basketball and ended up coming back because they had no where else to go. Reed has had a nice season for the most part but I haven't seen much help from the other 2.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Say What You Want About Brownell

Jan 27, 2019, 7:58 AM

Say what you want about Brownell!
One word; Recruiting!
Forget Duke, UNC, Virginia.
There is no reason I can think of that he can't recruit the type of players some of the other ACC schools get.
And that IMO has nothing to do with whether or not Reed, Mitchell, and Skara came back or went pro.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Say What You Want About Brownell

Jan 27, 2019, 11:40 AM

If VT can win in the ACC , Clemson can to.
It’s all Coaching

Thank you for permission to speak.

Jan 27, 2019, 8:04 AM

I take my newfound liberty to express my opinion without prejudice. Brownell is about to be relieved of his contract for failure to recruit and develop players who can compete at the highest level. Don't shoot the messenger and please remember, you gave me your permission.

I like Brad Brownell and I believe he is a first class guy but he just can't do the job. He's had plenty of time just as did Tommy and similarly he's been instrmental in new facilities. Imo, he's like the next rung on a ladder just below the one that gets you to the rooftop.

Goodbye, Brad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank you for permission to speak.

Jan 27, 2019, 8:29 AM

It’s funny when we laugh at the coot football fans when they say “why not us” and believe they can attract top shelf coaching talent like Tom Herman. I hate to tell you but our basketball program is very similar in terms of results to their football program. We are not a destination program which is why guys like Barnes and OP hit the trail when given the first decent offer. We can fire our coach and hope the next person has better results bit the likelihood is 50/50 between better results and worse results. You can bet the better results coach won’t be here very long so we would be starting over again.

That is a silly reason to not sign a good coach. I would

Jan 27, 2019, 9:33 AM

much rather become good enough that the coach is in demand versus never becoming good enough and nobody wants your coach.

That is one of the more ridiculous arguments/excuses for not being a good basketball program that we hear on Tigernet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Newflash bud, we weren't a destination in football either.

Jan 27, 2019, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Thank you for permission to speak. ]

Outside of the 80's, Clemson's football history is was just above average until recently. The idea we can't compete in basketball is what holds us back.

Re: Newflash bud, we weren't a destination in football either.

Jan 27, 2019, 11:35 AM

Not true

Skara is not the problem....

Jan 27, 2019, 8:12 AM

He plays lockdown D and has tripled his offensive production from last year.
On one play yesterday, he had to guard 3 different guys and still came away with a block.
When he had foul trouble against FSU, we got roasted.
The PG position is a struggle for this team right now...that and the lack of bench production and overall team chemistry.

Re: Skara is not the problem....

Jan 27, 2019, 10:21 AM

IMO, Skara's late decision in June wanting to come back and his final approval in late August did have a negative mental impact on some players. They were expecting the increased playing time since they had been working all summer for the opportunity. He may be good defensively but he brings very little to scoring and if he's that good on defense why not put him on 3 point shooters when it's crunch time.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TU for PG comment- 10 yrs in and no true 1.***

Jan 27, 2019, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Skara is not the problem.... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TU for PG comment- 10 yrs in and no true 1.***

Jan 27, 2019, 11:54 AM

Brownell’s probably here through next season, but I don’t see much on the returning roster to think next year will be any better record.

Why not try another promising up and coming coach after next year? Sure he’ll move on after some success but like OP’s tenure at least we’d see some good basketball during that time. If Brownell’s record can get you 10+ yrs then why wouldn’t coaches be interested in the job? Improved facilities and the challenges of an ACC schedule should attract a good coach who has the confidence to overcome the history that is Clemson basketball.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,752
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic