Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Saw this NFL Draft RB Ranking from Fox Sports & was shocked
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Saw this NFL Draft RB Ranking from Fox Sports & was shocked

Feb 14, 2017, 11:39 AM

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2017-nfl-draft-running-back-ranking-021317

12. Wayne Gallman, Clemson- 4th Round

"Gallman has the talent to be an every-down back in the NFL. He has good overall quickness which helps him shoot through tight running lanes. His experience as a pass catcher out of the backfield means he can remain on the field on 3rd down.

However, he’s such a poor pass protector that it could keep him from finding consistent playing time. NFL teams will not put a running back on the field that could get their quarterback injured due to poor blocking."

WHAT?!?!? He's literally one of the best pass protectors in the recent history of college football.

It's absolutely amazing how clueless some of these "national" writers are. I see that it is a "FanSided" writer, and I'm not entirely sure what that means, but it is on FoxSports's main website.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I thought Gallman did a really good job

Feb 14, 2017, 11:51 AM

in pass protection. The NCSU game was a great example of how the offense changed when he got injured...we really missed his blocking abilities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

He's more unproven as a pass receiver than a blocker.

Feb 14, 2017, 11:55 AM

He only caught about 1 pass per game and never really proved himself as a pass receiver. He did, however, show he was excellent at picking up blitzes and pass blocking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's unproven as a pass receiver and proven as a blocker.

Feb 14, 2017, 11:56 AM

Oops. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's unproven as a pass receiver and proven as a blocker.

Feb 14, 2017, 11:56 AM [ in reply to He's more unproven as a pass receiver than a blocker. ]

Oops. :)

The writer probably only watched him in the playoffs

Feb 14, 2017, 12:09 PM [ in reply to He's more unproven as a pass receiver than a blocker. ]

It seemed like Elliott made much more of an effort to involve him in the passing game in the playoff the last two years, especially against Bama. This is probably because he wasn't as effective as a runner against their DL, and they wanted to still be able to find an effective way to pick up short yardage other than the usual slants to Renfrow and the Artavis Scott screens.

There's clearly no possible way that the writer watched much more b/c as you said, he rarely caught more than maybe one pass per game for the rest of his career, and as previously mentioned, he is as good in pass pro as just about any college RB you will ever see.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh yes he did prove himself as a receiver...

Feb 14, 2017, 12:11 PM [ in reply to He's more unproven as a pass receiver than a blocker. ]

May not have had a whole lot of catches (that will happen when you have the deepest WR corp and the best TE), but he showed he could line up at WR and made plays when he caught the ball out of the backfield

Yeah that one is definitely off the mark.***

Feb 14, 2017, 12:01 PM

PFF had a story out about how good he was last year

Feb 14, 2017, 12:02 PM

They said that based off of the tape from his sophomore year, he was one of the most polished pass protecting sophomore RB's that they had ever evaluated. For the entire year, they only had him down as missing like 5 blocks as a pass protector. That's a really amazing stat for a RS college RB.

He was just as consistent this year as well.

I've noticed over the years that several of the so-called "talent evaluators" for the NFL draft say the same things about almost all RB and WR. They virtually always claim that the RB is poor in pass pro or that the WR is a mediocre route runner.

There are very few that seem to be reliable across the board. I understand that it's not possible for one "expert" to do an in-depth analysis of the film of the several hundred players that are likely to be drafted. But if they don't do the research on a player, then they should let someone else evaluate the player and not write anything.

Here's a link to the PFF article

Feb 14, 2017, 12:37 PM

Turns out that his pass pro numbers were even better than what I remembered.

"One area he clearly excelled at in comparison to the likes of Cook, Fournette and even Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey is pass blocking. He took 181 reps in pass protection (third-most in FBS) and yielded just 6 hurries (with no sacks or hits given up), ranking him fourth among returning backs in pass blocking efficiency. This is an impressive feat considering he was just a sophomore, and a marked improvement over his three sacks, two hits and three hurries yielded on just 87 reps as a freshman.

His film in pass protection is even more impressive than the analytics show, as he clearly has a strong understanding of his assignments, and utilizes a variety of techniques to win at the point of attack and keep Watson clean."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/wayne-gallman-is-unsung-hero-of-clemsons-offense/

Always two sides

Feb 14, 2017, 12:05 PM

they got him #6 here with a film grade of #3. 4/5 on pass protection????

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2017-nfl-draft-top-10-college-running-backs-011317

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: Saw this NFL Draft RB Ranking from Fox Sports & was shocked

Feb 14, 2017, 12:08 PM

This guy needs to watch the coaches film room version of the national championship. All the coaches were very impressed with the way Gallman blocked.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Feb 14, 2017, 12:12 PM

Well, Gallman dosn't play in the Big 12. FOx Sports loves them some Oklahoma and company. If anything they have it backwards. While he does a pretty good job catching passes, hes not overly smooth like Spiller and others have been. His pass pro however is among the better we have had in years.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not even a Fox article. They linked it from Fansided***

Feb 14, 2017, 12:23 PM

Feb 14, 2017, 12:33 PM
IMG_1003.PNG(41.4 K)

:)

I was hoping the writer has Twitter

Feb 14, 2017, 12:42 PM

I'm almost tempted to sign up myself just to call him out on how incredibly off the mark his critiques are....Almost.

Gallman's PB numbers - yeah he sucks

Feb 14, 2017, 12:49 PM

2016-17 - 4 hurries, 5 hits and ZERO SACKS in 183 pass blocking opportunities for a 95.1% rating
2015-16 - 4 hurries, 2 hits, ZERO SACKS in 158 PBO's, 96.2%

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gallman's PB numbers - yeah he sucks

Feb 14, 2017, 12:52 PM

Nice Stats - Thanks for posting them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gallman's PB numbers - yeah he sucks

Feb 14, 2017, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Gallman's PB numbers - yeah he sucks ]

Send him that! These ######## never do their research

Feb 14, 2017, 12:51 PM

Clearly must have been talking about someone else. This kind of crap is the reason lj won the Heisman. Too many people that have a voice or media outlet anymore that have no clue what they're talking about... Hogwash.

I actually think he'll go in the second round ahead of several of the other named backs because their pass coverage AND ball security was well below Wayne.

Strengths that unfortunately we'll miss this year. I really hope Feaster is able to learn that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does this journalist even cover college football?***

Feb 14, 2017, 12:53 PM

running backs aren't as valued in the pass happy nfl

Feb 14, 2017, 12:57 PM

as they used to be

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic