Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sapakoff's column on Hatfield
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,650

Sapakoff's column on Hatfield

Jul 29, 2018, 12:27 PM

(for those who may not have seen it yet. sorry if old news)

https://www.postandcourier.com/columnists/sapakoff-hatfield-s-college-football-playoff-vote-and-his-clemson/article_1ade75aa-8e8c-11e8-8287-af3ad9cc1a06.html

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He’s a good man

Jul 29, 2018, 12:36 PM

And if anyone on that committee can be fair, it’s him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Nice guy, good coach, bad timing

Jul 29, 2018, 12:39 PM

Following Danny would have been difficult for anyone Hatfield just happened to be that guy. He was different, he just never connected with the Clemson family. I appreciate what he accomplished and glad he remembers his time at Clemson fondly.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sapakoff's column on Hatfield

Jul 29, 2018, 1:01 PM

I have such mixed feelings about Hatfield...

There is no doubt in my mind that there were boosters who sought to sabotage his recruiting, and were effective in doing so. Though he did bring in some great players who made it to the league.

But there is also no doubt that he didn't manage his abrasive personality well. He created some of his own problems.

The bottom line is that Dabo is here now and he's the only coach we've had that hasn't made me want Danny to get back into coaching.

It was the combo of

Jul 29, 2018, 1:04 PM

Lennon, Robinson, and Hatfield that lost me for years. I simply didn't care anymore. It wasn't a Clemson I recognized.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Losing to Virginia was hard to take.***

Jul 29, 2018, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Sapakoff's column on Hatfield ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Not an effective recruiter for Clemson.

Jul 29, 2018, 1:28 PM

Of course, it didn't help that some Clemson boosters actually worked against him on the recruiting trail.

Fact is, he was in a very tough situation, but nobody forced him to take the job.

It's hard to imagine that anyone was going to be able to win over the Clemson fan base following the ouster of Danny Ford.

My feeling about Hatfield at this point are rather ambivalent ... he wasn't the worst coach we ever had, but he was far from the best.

Ancient history that fortunately our current situation allows us to move to the farthest recesses of our minds if we choose to.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Firing Danny split the fan base. It took almost

Jul 29, 2018, 1:56 PM

20 years for the wounds to mend. Hatfield was caught in the middle of all that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That column was at least worth a

Jul 29, 2018, 1:51 PM

Hatfieldgoal. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sapakoff's column on Hatfield

Jul 29, 2018, 2:27 PM

I knew Ken and Sandy personally from going to church with them for over three years. He was a tough coach who had to straighten out the mess Danny Ford had created with allowing the players to run wild without consequences.
Ken never complained about the boosters who were sabotaging him at every turn in hopes of bringing Danny back, even though he knew what was happening.
If given the chance to coach and recruit with the support of the school we may have seen a different side of Ken along with even better results.
We have been blessed with the best coach in college football, in Dabo Swinney. But some day his time here will end and I hope the Money Boosters have learned from this experience that whoever is hired should have our full support or we might wander in the wilderness again for 40 years.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,650
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic