Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sammy Watkins
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 3,056

Sammy Watkins

Feb 4, 2020, 11:27 PM

An all-time Clemson great. Super Bowl winner. But IMHO looks like a short-timer at KC. The attached interview and article just seem off. Maybe he's hurt, but his heart does not seem to be in the pro game.

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001101219/article/sammy-watkins-needs-downtime-after-playoff-run

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

in an interview after Super Bowl...

Feb 4, 2020, 11:40 PM

he seemed to debunk this article. In the post-game interview with his childhood idol, Deon Sanders, he seemed to indicate in a very relaxed way that he was not done with football and he implied that his responses in the interview you cited were the result of "dumb" questions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sammy Watkins

Feb 5, 2020, 12:22 AM

SW was the catalyst that enabled KC to light the fuse and keep it going in Super Bowl LIV. He and Kelce were the steadiest offensive guys that played Sunday PM for the Chiefs. Probably was not targeted nor used enough.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2020, 7:08 AM

That's what it sounds like to me is he wants more targets.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2020, 11:39 AM

Receivers always want more targets without a doubt, but he had 90 targets in the regular season in 13 games which comes out to an average of 7 per game. More targets is always better, but if we're being honest, he hasn't been consistent in the NFL. The way he played in the Super Bowl and AFC Championship game shows the potential he had when he was drafted in the top 10. He showed similar in the opening game of the season when he had 9 catches for 198 yards and 3 touchdowns. He followed that up by not having another 100 yard game or touchdown for the rest of the regular season.

I'm not sure what the cause is, if it's the injuries he's played through at times or what.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That Tyreek Hill guy is OK

Feb 5, 2020, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Sammy Watkins ]

lol

Feb 5, 2020, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Sammy Watkins ]

Sammy played a great game, but I wouldn't go that far. Hill and Williams both had more yards than Sammy or Kelce. That offense is loaded with talent.

Feb 5, 2020, 9:29 AM

Sammy isn't done with football.

The NFL has a weird way of dealing with veterans with big contracts.

The Chiefs will likely cut him before next season to avoid paying his $14 million next season.

Sammy understands how things work and his saying that he will sit out if needed lets people know that he isn't going to take a contract that is beneath him just to say he is on a team next season.

He definitely wants to play, but he is creating leverage with future suitors.

Sounds too much like Andruw Jones twisted logic to me.

Feb 5, 2020, 11:24 AM

"Man, I can't feed my family on $13 million a year."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sounds too much like Andruw Jones twisted logic to me.

Feb 5, 2020, 11:38 AM

I'm guessing you wouldn't cut your current salary by 60-70% if you thought you could leverage your work performance into a similar or better deal than what you are currently getting.

Also the Chiefs are going to cut Sammy, not the other way around.

Once he is cut it's his, and his agent's, job to get the best deal possible to sign another contract with a team.

Don't let your jealousy over him making millions of dollars to play football cloud your judgement about him doing good business.

If he is worth $10 million a year to a team, why in the world would he choose to play for $4 million a year?

Because if he sits out a year, he gets Zero million? I have

Feb 5, 2020, 11:46 AM

no jealously towards him, or any other player angling for a better deal. But, the idea of completely sitting out a year, getting NO earnings, when careers in the NFL are short anyway, seems totally counterproductive. If KC makes the business decision to cut him, then the "leverage" of threatening to sit out a year is Nil. Sit back, listen to all offers, and take the one that is the best combo of money and playing environment.

He, and all other free agents should remember, they are not worth what THEY think they are worth, only what a TEAM or TEAMS think they are worth.

Message was edited by: 76er®

Re: Because if he sits out a year, he gets Zero million? I have

Feb 5, 2020, 12:45 PM

You jumping the gun here. In terms of sitting out he said football takes a toll on your body and the mental.He may sit out OTAs but not whole season.

Good for him and we're seeing a lot more of this.

Feb 5, 2020, 10:24 AM

Andrew Luck said, "I'm done."

Even guys at the college level, like our own Logan Rudolph are saying there's more out there for them beyond football and wanting to stay healthy to enjoy life.

Sammy don't owe us a thing. Great player at two levels. His family is taken care of for life.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I read that KC has no plans to resign him, may have changed

Feb 5, 2020, 10:58 AM

after the playoffs. Sammy has said that he is happy @ KC and would consider a pay-cut (before playoffs) but he also said he might sit out a year. They asked him about retiring in the interview after the SB. He said that sometimes he'll answer stupid questions with "nutty" answers (paraphrased). He also said that he is young and has no desire to get out of the game.

IMHO, if KC doesn't sign him he'll be picked up quickly by someone. He helped his stock with his playoff & SB performance. His issue has always been staying healthy.

Feb 5, 2020, 11:37 AM

Get that man to Houston Stat.

Replies: 14
| visibility 3,056
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic