Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is this bad parenting?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 413

Is this bad parenting?

Apr 23, 2020, 12:49 PM

My kids ask me to watch them do something at a minimum of 100 times a day.

Is it bad parenting if, while I'm working, I say not now?

Or are you one of those beta karen parents who give their kids everything they want including all the attention their little hearts desire?

I tell you Dad of FBC was all "get the #### out of here I'm working on something"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I snap my fingers and point out of the office. I aint got

Apr 23, 2020, 12:50 PM

time for that crap. Also, it doesn't work.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These kids don't ####### listen

Apr 23, 2020, 12:51 PM

Wife of threw shade at me the other day with "My dad only told us twice then he fried our ###"

If I did that I'd be reported to DSS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wife gets so ticked at me when she screams and yells at the

Apr 23, 2020, 1:02 PM

kids and they don't listen. I ever-so-slightly speak in a harsh tone, and they jump. I'll give you two guesses why. My mom never screamed and yelled at me. She didn't need to. For the same reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same x 10000000000000

Apr 23, 2020, 1:13 PM

but when they're being real betches, SheGUAR will threaten to have me 'take care of it', so she knows what's up

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Same x 10000000000000

Apr 23, 2020, 1:16 PM

She does the same to me before you get home

Apr 23, 2020, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Same x 10000000000000 ]

but you know my reaction.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Schedule time with them so they know when they can

Apr 23, 2020, 12:51 PM

have your attention.

And keep to the schedule or you are ######.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is this deal with scheduling stuff with kids?

Apr 23, 2020, 12:54 PM

My parents didn't schedule time with me. I did my own thing 90% of the time while home. The only time they took time out of their day was when they were whipping my ###.

And I turned out fine.

But I also want my kids to understand that you don't talk to somebody while they are on the phone. They haven't gotten to that point yet.

I only said that since you are now home all of the time.

Apr 23, 2020, 12:56 PM

Work hours vs. play hours.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tell the kids to go out and play, literally beg them to.

Apr 23, 2020, 1:07 PM

Wife thinks it's her (and by extension MY) responsibility to entertain them.

No. That's not how it works. THEY are responsible for entertaining themselves. Go out and play.

Problem with that....every other set of parents in the neighborhood is the same way, so no kids to play with. They're all busy being entertained by their parents or computer games.

When I was a kid, I'd leave at 8-9am and go out and play. I'd pop back in for lunch, then leave again. Came back for supper. Parents didn't have to do a ###### thing other than let me socialize, play with friends, and have fun.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My last neighborhood was like that

Apr 23, 2020, 1:13 PM

My neighbor would yell at her son for laying in the grass, like w tf is the problem lady? That kid unsurprisingly turned out to be a psychopath, but that's another story.

Anyway, that neighborhood was slap full of kids. Never saw any of them out. Their parents would drive them the 1/3 of a mile from the back of the neighborhood to the bus stop. Bizarre.

In our new hood the kids that live there are out constantly. Riding bikes, go carts, playing in the woods. You see them cruising around on their little jon boats. Night and day difference. Much more like how I grew up.

My theory is that these landlocked high density communities are just toxic for everyone. Sacrificing happiness for the sake of convenience.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

6 kids around my age. That's how many friends I played with

Apr 23, 2020, 1:20 PM

basically growing up. On any given weekend, at least 2-3 or more of them would be available to play.

26 kids.....26 kids in our neighborhood are within a year of my oldest son's age. NONE are out playing. Son tries to go over and play and they're not home (soccer game, baseball practice, church event, or whatever their parents have planned to do to entertain them). I feel bad for my kids, but what can I do? It's the parents who are screwing up their kids. I would have been ECSTATIC to have 26 kids my age in my neighborhood growing up.

Don't you have access to a lake house?

Apr 23, 2020, 1:26 PM

Buy them a $300 canoe, a couple of rods, some bait and set them free.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Tale of Two 'Hoods, by Chaz Dickens

Apr 23, 2020, 1:57 PM [ in reply to My last neighborhood was like that ]

2.5 years ago, we moved less than a 1/2 mile crow flight away, but the 'atmosphere' in the new 'hood couldn't be more different...it's pretty much like you said: old 'hood had plenty of kids, but it seemed like mine were the only ones getting out (and even that was a struggle, still kinda is). When you'd randomly see someone, you'd be all "who teh eff are you and what kind of shenanigans are you up to?". After almost 10 years, we hardly knew anyone other than our immediate neighbors

new neighborhood (even before the 'Rona) has got people and kids all over the place, non-stop...always having social things going on (not lately, obvi), wife-swapping, evening jaunts with cocktail in hand....

fish bowl getting ALOT of use these days?***

Apr 23, 2020, 1:59 PM

Well, pre-Rona I mean***

Apr 23, 2020, 1:59 PM

nah dawg

Apr 23, 2020, 2:01 PM [ in reply to fish bowl getting ALOT of use these days?*** ]

it's all bikes and golf carts

I'm not sure if we have any swingers or not

Apr 23, 2020, 2:11 PM [ in reply to A Tale of Two 'Hoods, by Chaz Dickens ]

There are a couple of mailboxes with decorative pineapples, so maybe?

Have you joined a golf cart gang yet?

not yet...don't have any realistic plans to

Apr 23, 2020, 2:15 PM

pool/clubhouse are 6 lots away, neighborhood frands aren't too far of a walk/bike ride, and I don't really want to foresake any garage space to store it.

SheGUAR, however, wants one...but I think that's a keepin' up w/ the Joneses thing

She did send me a decked out Clemson golf cart on Facebook Market that redirected a LOT of blood to my #####....so there's a chance I could be convinced

Anything close to your hood worth going to?

Apr 23, 2020, 2:26 PM

For $5 registration I made mine street legal. Had the turning signals installed and everything. As long as I stay on 35mph roads and within 4 miles of my house I'm good to go. I haven't GPS'ed it, but I think mine will run about 25mph.

not really...and main road to get anywhere is 40mph***

Apr 23, 2020, 2:30 PM

Are they upside down pineapples?***

Apr 23, 2020, 2:39 PM [ in reply to I'm not sure if we have any swingers or not ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, they're right side up. And one of them belongs to a

Apr 23, 2020, 2:51 PM

woman who I'm pretty sure wants to watch the entire world burn. So they probably aren't swingers.

Re: What is this deal with scheduling stuff with kids?

Apr 23, 2020, 12:57 PM [ in reply to What is this deal with scheduling stuff with kids? ]

And I turned out fine

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just this am my 2yo came into my office.

Apr 23, 2020, 12:53 PM

I was literally placing a call to someone when he came in. Said he wanted "to watch Blippy in daddy's office". At that point, I turned on Blippy, and switched from that phone call over to proofing a report to go out. When I finished, I kicked him out and made the call.

1 hour ago wife of was on a phone call. 6yo starts crying. After about 30 seconds I finally took note, noticed it was a "hurt cry" and not his whine cry. Went down. His 11yo brother had busted his lip with a plastic toy. Got him some ice. Told wife. Wife, when call was over, came in and told 6yo that she didn't know he was hurt because he whines all the time and she couldn't tell the difference.

I just rolled my eyes.

Now he has a loose tooth, which is about to come out thanks to his brother.

Sounds like they need a couple of friends

Apr 23, 2020, 12:55 PM

to come over and distract them.

I have a 3 year old and 6 year old I can loan you for 1 week.

He'll grow a new tooth

Apr 23, 2020, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Just this am my 2yo came into my office. ]

eventually.

Oh I know. No big deal.

Apr 23, 2020, 1:21 PM

He had a lose tooth anyway. Now he has two. Told him to keep wiggling them ;)

i just put mine in the closet***

Apr 23, 2020, 1:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you'll have no one other than yourself to

Apr 23, 2020, 2:19 PM

blame when they finally come out

The older kids are easy here

Apr 23, 2020, 1:16 PM

and frequently take the 18 month old off our hands. So we got that going. THe 18 month old has taken to sprinting when she hears the word, bed, nap, sleep or downtime. Literally she runs away from whoever says the word and tries to hide or pretend she's busy with something.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I quickly searched through the responses so I may have missed the right answer.

Apr 23, 2020, 1:17 PM

Sorry if germans. It’s not bad parenting at all but there is a much better method.

Tell them you’re watching and then put on your noise canceling wireless headphones and soldier on while you are not actually watching. You’ll catch enough in your peripheral to summarize the details if they ask. Then when they are done doing what they did. Be sure to tell them, “That was super awesome. You’re the coolest bro (or “girl” if you were blessed with that situation). How about grabbing dad a beer out the fridge. And remember, you’re a beer spy. Don’t let momma catch you. It’s going to take some real skill. But I believe in you. Now go!”

The smile on their face when they complete the mission is all the evidence you need to know that you are the best parent ever... plus you watched them do their thing.

Sad and heartwarming at the same time

Apr 23, 2020, 1:57 PM

just like parenting

Every once in a while, I have to lean over and

Apr 23, 2020, 1:21 PM

wake up my golden retriever because his snoring gets too loud.

I keep two of ours at my feet. They hide under my

Apr 23, 2020, 1:57 PM

desk from the kids. I wish I could join them.

Re: Is this bad parenting?

Apr 23, 2020, 1:28 PM

7spots kids still thinks he should put deodorant on before their shower. It's all relative.

You people have laughable parenting skills, at best.

Apr 23, 2020, 1:34 PM

First and foremost, the kids are charged with recording all 'watch me Daddy' moments and posting these to YouTube. If one of the kids interrupts my busy day with one of these moments, then they get a face full of bear repellent. It's simple, effective, and allows me to watch their stupid antics on a schedule that I choose. Or, not at all.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just had to mute a conversation with an attorney billing

Apr 23, 2020, 2:30 PM

$700/hr to yell at my kid and threaten to beat him.

"while Im working"

Apr 23, 2020, 2:39 PM

You're an overweight gym teacher that isnt at work now.

Pay attention to your kids, bum.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Replies: 39
| visibility 413
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic