Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is political. I don't care. Doc Rivers preaching truth.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 713

This is political. I don't care. Doc Rivers preaching truth.

Aug 26, 2020, 12:01 PM

When I recoil at the communistic tendencies of the Democrats and think I could never pull the lever for their ticket, Doc Rivers comes along and speaks the truth about what's going on.

I know P&R is >>>>>>

https://twitter.com/markyarhouse/status/1298643710809341952?s=20

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is political. I don't care. Doc Rivers preaching truth.

Aug 26, 2020, 12:08 PM

You're a complex dude. Hard to figure out. Anyway, he is great, but why does he assume the killing wasn't justified?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which incident inspired this? Maybe he is saying

Aug 26, 2020, 12:14 PM

that we need to take a nice, hard look at what constitutes a shooting being justified.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Which incident inspired this? Maybe he is saying

Aug 26, 2020, 12:21 PM

He is saying what you stated. I love Doc Rivers. I always have. I have watched other interviews or maybe it was more of this one, but he concluded this was a murder by the cop etc etc. He said basically that the entire country should be mad or disgusted or something of that sort by the cops actions. Doc is right on everything we just watched in this press conference that APM gave us. I just wish there could be talks of accountability possibly by the guy who got shot. Maybe the cop thought he was reaching to get something when he reached down after opening the door? By the way, I have sided with the dead person in almost every one of these cases, even Michael Brown, but this case is not cut and dry imo.

These shooting incidents rarely are cut and dry.

Aug 26, 2020, 12:28 PM

We also rarely know what got us to the point of the cell phone video until these cases. The whole thing needs changed from the moment the blue lights come on until it is resolved. Cops are afraid a gun is coming out, the citizen is afraid of what the cop is going to do, it is just a whole big mess that needs changed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now, more than ever, we need

Aug 26, 2020, 12:32 PM

Re: These shooting incidents rarely are cut and dry.

Aug 26, 2020, 12:36 PM [ in reply to These shooting incidents rarely are cut and dry. ]

We need some serious changes.

My main ideas are:

Aug 26, 2020, 12:41 PM

Make it harder to become a police officer. This means more education, more training.
Make it harder to remain an officer. It simply needs to be easier to fire someone if need be.
Make a standing rule where if an officer fires a gun, that is the end of their duties on patrol. They can stay employed, stay in line for promotions and all that, but they get to be the station help for the rest of their days.

Good ideas.

Aug 26, 2020, 1:20 PM

Busting up the Police Union(s) would help with #2, and maybe #1.

Haven't considered #3 yet, but that's not a terrible idea, at least not at first glance.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I figure if we can get 1 and 2 nailed down

Aug 26, 2020, 2:55 PM

then maybe, probably not, but maybe folks would argue less about a tax increase to help pay the officers better.

The DA and LE need to have a news conference to share ...

Aug 26, 2020, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Re: This is political. I don't care. Doc Rivers preaching truth. ]

“initial” findings even if preliminary. It has been almost 72 hours. The delay allows an informal narrative to be established which can contribute to community unrest. It also jeopardizes credibility.

Did Jacob Blake have a gun in the car? Was he reaching for it? Did the cops see it?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The DA and LE need to have a news conference to share ...

Aug 26, 2020, 12:40 PM

Does it matter if they saw it? It could have looked that way. You can't reach for something in that scenario. There is nothing surprising about the shooting in this scenario once he opened his door and looked like he could be grabbing something. That was reckless by the victim. That cop was in a tough situation. That said, did they ever try a stun gun at any point?

heard he was tased and it didn't do the job***

Aug 26, 2020, 12:45 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When talking this over with a co-worker,

Aug 26, 2020, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: The DA and LE need to have a news conference to share ... ]

he said the stun gun had been used.

It also didn't look like he was trying to get in the vehicle to run. I think the protocol for folks running maybe needs to change too. People are mighty easy to find later these days.

Re: When talking this over with a co-worker,

Aug 26, 2020, 12:58 PM

If he were getting in his vehicle to leave the scene it's not something you shoot someone for. You just follow him and get him in a bit. If he were reaching in his car grabbing something or looking like he was grabbing something, no wonder he got shot. I wish the cops had bodycams. Hard to believe they didn't. That's crazy for 2020.

maybe we should give cops those big guns

Aug 27, 2020, 10:00 AM

That shoot nets over the target. They work every time and the criminal gets confused and can’t figure out how to lift the net up and gets tangled worse.

Second choice would be to give cops bolos to wrap around the perp‘s ankles as they’re running away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Makes one think. The same old political responses don’t work

Aug 26, 2020, 12:15 PM

- both parties.

Something is wrong and our social justice values and system are broken.

Re: Makes one think. The same old political responses don’t work

Aug 26, 2020, 12:18 PM

No they aren’t. Families are broken and God is being left behind. That is the problem. All goes directly back to those two things at some point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which God? Jesus's dad? Allah? Buddha? FSM?

Aug 26, 2020, 12:27 PM

God isn't what's missing. There's some validity to the family structure, but it's very much a cart/horse discussion. It's easy to dismiss it as "it's a cultural thing, black men just don't have the same responsibility to family as other races", but that's both untrue, and, well, pretty racist.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

racist?

Aug 26, 2020, 12:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so this is racist?

Aug 26, 2020, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Which God? Jesus's dad? Allah? Buddha? FSM? ]

It depends. Are you assuming that the reason there are

Aug 26, 2020, 12:41 PM

a higher percentage of minority single mothers is because minority fathers simply leave? What about ones that are incarcerated at an astonishingly higher clip than their white counterparts? Again, what's the presumption--that they're more likely to be criminals because of their skin color? Or because of a criminal justice system that is designed to keep them in poverty, which is directly correlated to criminal behavior?

I'll say this again: it's a cart/horse conversation, and you need to be willing to have it, rather than simply looking at a graph and saying "SEE?! Black fathers are irresponsible and it's because they're black!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It depends. Are you assuming that the reason there are

Aug 26, 2020, 12:48 PM

"higher percentage of minority single mothers is because minority fathers simply leave?"

Statistically yes.

"What about ones that are incarcerated at an astonishingly higher clip than their white counterparts?"

more than likely because they themselves didn't have a father.

Fatherless children are 47% more likely to be poverty stricken as adults. More likely to be abused. More likely to commit violent crime. More likely to have behavioral disorders.

This is a topic of conversation at every single event we do in Downtown Detroit. When we go and speak to adults in halfway houses, reentry programs, drug counseling, nearly all of the men in those groups are fathers that do not have relationship with their children and didnt with their father either.

Its a simple fact. Its not racist. The black community needs help with keeping the family structure together and putting education first. Thats not racist, its reality and I have seen it and work with it first hand.

I think one could take all the incarcerated fathers,

Aug 26, 2020, 1:47 PM [ in reply to It depends. Are you assuming that the reason there are ]

put them with their families, and not dent the fatherless children phenomenon. Taking a well known cultural issue and turning it into the "mass incarceration" trope is lazy, racist thinking.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Makes one think. The same old political responses don’t work

Aug 26, 2020, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Makes one think. The same old political responses don’t work ]

God is irrelevant. Most of these people believe in God anyway. It's the single parent homes and low incomes as the main contributing factors. Kids are basically raising themselves in much of America.

Am I the only white son who was told to obey the officer

Aug 26, 2020, 12:22 PM

right before I got my drivers licence? Like went over the whole thing of why it's a good idea to listen and obey?

Is what the cops doing to black people wrong? Yeah. But could it have been avoided in some cases by not resisting arrest. Also yeah. Breonna Taylor is a whole nother outlier.

And as a swing voter, both parties have put forward their absolute worst candidate (well Bernie Sanders was probably worse than Biden). I have never before considered so hard as this year to waste my vote on a third party. At the end of it all I'll probably vote for the presidential candidate with the greatest thought capacity.

/P&R rant

I was never told that

Aug 26, 2020, 1:12 PM

I guess because the concept of not being in compliance with police was never even a thought within my household. You know, kinda like I wasn't told that I should graduate from high school.

I've told every one of my children though. You go ####### with people, especially armed ones with authority, and you'll deal with the consequences of that including potential death.

Would be hard for me to imagine ANY human not delivering that message to their children. Regardless of race and creed and all that good stuff.

Yet many people are being given the exact opposite

Aug 26, 2020, 3:11 PM

message. "You're being targeted - don't take it. Fight back. They're probably going to kill you anyway. If they get you to court, you won't have a prayer because the system is against you."

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Helllll no. I was told the same thing, although

Aug 26, 2020, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Am I the only white son who was told to obey the officer ]

it would never cross my mind to not follow a cops orders to the "T".

My dad had been incarcirated enough times to know what to

Aug 26, 2020, 2:10 PM

say and do but not saying and doing the right things.

Nothing like robbery or murder, just some open container type stuff in the 70's I believe. Not entirely sure since he's never directly told me.

I don't think either of my parents have had any run-in

Aug 26, 2020, 2:23 PM

with police other than a speeding ticket once or twice.

I got an open container ticket in the UV parkinglot and kicked off of a few Cat Buses, oh and I started to throw hands with an off duty state trooper at a Clemson game once, but other than that, speeding tickets only.

My dad wasn't allowed to own a weapon in his name

Aug 26, 2020, 2:29 PM [ in reply to My dad had been incarcirated enough times to know what to ]

until about 10 years ago.

Still won't tell me why.

But apparently it occurred simultaneously with a brief jail stint and him dropping out of high school in the 11th grade.

edit: I mean he's owned guns his entire life but he wasn't suppose to.

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

how is anything he saying new?***

Aug 26, 2020, 12:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: how is anything he saying new?***

It's not new to him. He is saying it seems new to the fearful GOP and the Trump supporters who are fearful and don't understand the world black people live in. His words..not mine.

I agree with much of what Doc is saying...

Aug 26, 2020, 12:58 PM

but there are still a lot of generalizations.

I'm not insensitive to it. I don't think either party is doing well on this.

The problem is one side has been speaking for a few months now (rightfully so), but a time has to come where we can open up a discussion that is not completely one-sided.

Unfortunately, the cancel culture has made a balanced conversation almost impossible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Much of what he's saying is false.

Aug 26, 2020, 2:37 PM

Or based on false assumptions. "We're the ones getting killed. We're the ones getting shot". The truth is "they're" the ones being shot and killed in the clips that make the news. And "why we keep loving this country, and this country does not love us back" ... come on, man. However, there was slavery, lynchings, Jim Crowe, the KKK, segregation, and all kinds of discrimination, so in no way am I implying that none of that happened, or that it doesnt contribute to the very real racism that still exists today. But, in spite of that reality, it doesn't mean that we should ignore other realities and factors and just go along with a false narrative.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I'm careful not to say "false"

Aug 26, 2020, 2:51 PM

as in a deliberate lie. It may is be his perception, and that perception may be based on some very true circumstances.

I just think what he is saying is not groundbreaking and not really adding any more light to the issues.

I feel like what we are doing now is we're all standing around a huge problem. Some people are talking at the problem. Some people are looking at the problem. But nobody is taking a,(or being allowed to take) any steps toward fixing it.

We just going to keep talking at and looking at the problem.

Oh, I'm sure it's based on his perception.

Aug 26, 2020, 3:03 PM

Which is incorrect, at least in part.

- H. L. Mencken

^^^^was black in his first life^^^^***

Aug 26, 2020, 4:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He should boycott the remaining of the season***

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

And Goodyear.

Aug 26, 2020, 1:15 PM

And HBO.
And Macys.
And AT&T.
And Univision.

And other US corporations.

I think you meant to say "APM don't care"***

Aug 26, 2020, 1:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

An oldie - Humorous but some truth to it - Chris Rock

Aug 26, 2020, 1:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That works 99+% of the time.***

Aug 26, 2020, 2:14 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Just looked up the quote. What is he talking about?

Aug 26, 2020, 1:45 PM

“What stands out to me is just watching the Republican convention, viewing this fear. All you hear is Donald Trump and all of them talking about fear,” Doc Rivers said. “We’re the ones getting killed. We’re the ones getting shot. We’re the ones that we’re denied to live in certain communities. We’ve been hung. We’ve been shot. All you do is keep hearing about fear.

“It’s amazing why we keep loving this country, and this country does not love us back. It’s really so sad.

“Like, I should just be a coach. I’m so often reminded of my color. It’s just really sad. We got to do better. But we got to demand better. It’s funny, we protest. They send riot guards. They send people in riot outfits. They go up to Michigan with guns. They’re spitting on cops. Nothing happens. The training has to change in the police force. The unions have to be taken down in the police force. My dad was a cop. I believe in good cops. We’re not trying to defund the police and take all their money away. We’re trying to get them to protect us, just like they protect everybody else.

“I didn’t want to talk about it before the game because it’s so hard, like, to just keep watching it. That video, if you watch that video, you don’t need to be black to be outraged. You need to be American and outraged. How dare the Republicans talk about fear. We’re the ones that need to be scared. We’re the ones having to talk to every black child. What white father has to give his son a talk about being careful if you get pulled over? It’s just ridiculous. It just keeps going. There’s no charges. Breonna Taylor, no charges, nothing. All we’re asking is you live up to the Constitution. That’s all we’re asking for everybody, for everyone.”

-- I'm confused because all I heard from the Democrats was preaching fear. The RNC seemed much more positive. At the end of the day, it's a family issue for everyone, but especially the black community. Black fathers need to step up and stop being selfish. And I could say that about every race, but I think it's a bigger issue for the black community. If we could get families in order, that would be a great first step. Maybe we should stop blaming politicians, stop pointing fingers, and start talking about real change.

He's mostly full of ####.***

Aug 26, 2020, 1:55 PM

- H. L. Mencken

As an aside - I'm a white father who told my sons to be

Aug 27, 2020, 9:00 AM

careful when they get pulled over.

Of course, by "careful", I mean respectful and don't add to the trouble.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad did the same.

Aug 27, 2020, 10:05 AM

Then I got pulled over. And pulled over again, and again, and again, and given tickets, and assigned fines and yelled at by cops half my age for nothing, and treated like a criminal by DNR agents, and had money stolen from me from crooked police districts, and ticketed and harassed for the pettiest of offenses, and threatened with jail time by a judge because I paid a fine with $1 bills.

And now, I wouldn't p!ss on a cop were one on fire. I'm old, and have zero respect for the uniform. I've never had one help me when I actually needed one (the exact opposite actually), but seemingly they are always available when they need to meet their ticket quota.

I looked up my background check last week and the DNR ticket for the expired fire extinguisher from 2001 that makes me a "criminal" (that's how its listed--as a crime, and comes up that way on every SLED check) is still there, as is an improper lane change ticket from 1995 (which is a new addition--seems odd).

I gotta move to a country where I'm not such a criminal. I'm tired of being over-policed.

My trial for dropping two people off my boat in a non swimming beach area has now been moved twice to October 7. The fine is $1,040.

Same here - it's not unique to race to be respectful of the

Aug 27, 2020, 7:58 PM [ in reply to As an aside - I'm a white father who told my sons to be ]

law.

It’s apparent he didn’t watch a minute of the RNC convention

Aug 27, 2020, 9:58 AM

If there was “fear” mentioned, I missed it, and it sure wasn’t an overarching theme.

It’s getting old seeing occasional and unfortunate exceptions keep getting treated like they’re the rule.

Black man getting shot by white cop has become the pretty blonde girl getting abducted of the modern era. If you base your perception of reality on media coverage allocation, you’d absolutely think it was an epidemic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Much respect for Doc - but he's getting his information

Aug 27, 2020, 4:30 PM

from Memes on Facebook.

Police didn't show up in riot gear because of peaceful protesters
The folks in Michigan didn't damage any property (or spit on cops that I ever saw - I could be wrong).
Yes - lynching was an issue - 70 years ago
Yes - redlining was an issue - 60 years ago
Yes - white fathers tell their sons not to disrespect cops because we know that will just escalate an issue

He's shedding tears over cops shooting a punk who abuses women

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 50
| visibility 713
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic