Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As we approach 75th anniversary of D-Day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,219

As we approach 75th anniversary of D-Day

Jun 1, 2019, 12:03 PM

Wanted to salute all Clemson WWII vets & the ever-shrinking WWII generation as a whole.

I knew a good number of WWII vets. My dad, who fought in the Battle of the Bulge in '44 & '45, my uncle Lawrence (a paratrooper w/the 82nd Airborne dropped behind enemy lines just before D-Day) & former Clemson player & iconic Clemson physician, William H. "Bill" Hunter, M.D.

My dad & Bill Hunter were the same age & both entered Clemson in '41. They had a number of classes together & became good friends before interrupting college for war. My dad was called "Bill" too.

Bill Hunter was a large man & started on the O-line for Coach Howard. He was also playing the day Memorial Stadium opened, & was among the 1st players ever to run down the Hill that day. Dr. Hunter was not a cursing man. One of my dad's favorite stories was how Hunter, when frustrated by a test question or such would say, "Ahh - CHICKEN!!"

Hunter went on to become a Marine Corp Officer & fighter pilot in the famed "Black Sheep Squadron." He doctored Clemson folks for 55 years until his death, just over 11 years ago. Sewed up my cracked head twice & made a house call when I fell from a tree & had a bad concussion (which I still don't remember). He made another house call the night my mom's stomach ulcer ruptured & rode with her in the ambulance to surgery. 15 years later, he diagnosed her cancer & later made one more house call the morning she suffered a fatal heart attack. Physically, he was an imposing man, but his demeanor was friendly, gentle & caring. Just a year before he died I took my dad to see him over memory loss issues. Dr. Hunter tested my dad - pulled me aside after & said, "You were correct to bring your father in." A year later, Dr. Hunter passed away, & 2 years after that, my dad died from Alzheimer's complications. Bill Hunter was not only a M.D., he was a popular speaker, teacher of young medical students, columnist, Sunday School teacher & as rabid a Clemson fan as my dad.

I remember one June morning in 1964, my parents reading the paper's headlines & stories & saying, "It's hard to believe D-Day was 20 years ago!" Now, most of that generation is gone; my dad & mom, my uncle, Bill Hunter & so many more.

Nevertheless, to those who remain & those who have departed, I'm so grateful for their sacrifices & for keeping us free - wherever they served.

D-Day + 75 is a good time to reflect.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Salute all Clemson veterans

Jun 1, 2019, 12:27 PM

Thank you!

My Dad was on an aircraft carrier during WW II. He fought

Jun 1, 2019, 6:56 PM

in Task Force 38, led by Admiral "Bull" Halsey.

He fought at Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and the liberation of the Philippines.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Dad was on an aircraft carrier during WW II. He fought

Jun 1, 2019, 9:26 PM

He fought in some extra tough ones for sure! I salute your dad!

I guess Admiral Halsey was about the only person then who could give it right back to Doug MacArthur. MacArthur's dad, Arthur, had young Doug serve under him as adjutant in the Philippines & Japan way before WWII. A friend of the MacArthur's once said, "I thought I'd met the most arrogant man alive when I met Arthur - - until I met his son."

The saddest of all is that 95% of Americans under 40

Jun 1, 2019, 9:59 PM

not only know almost nothing about D-Day, they don't appreciate what these men and women did for them that day, and they actually want to undo what many of them died for.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,219
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic