Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Saban announces 2019 coaching staff, led by 7 new coaches
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,648

Saban announces 2019 coaching staff, led by 7 new coaches

Feb 15, 2019, 5:29 PM

In what has become essentially an annual event, Nick Saban essentially has to rebuild his staff from scratch each winter. (More on this next week.)

Alabama announced seven — SEVEN! — new assistants included in its 2019 staff. The new staff breaks down as follows:

Steve Sarkisian — Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks
Charles Huff — Associate head coach/running backs
Holmon Wiggins — Wide receivers
Kyle Flood — Offensive line
Jeff Banks — Tight ends/special teams coordinator*

Pete Golding — Defensive coordinator/inside linebackers*
Brian Baker — Associate head coach/defensive line
Charles Kelly — Associate defensive coordinator/safeties
Sal Sunseri — Outside linebackers
Karl Scott — Cornerbacks*

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saban announces 2019 coaching staff, led by 7 new coaches

Feb 15, 2019, 5:46 PM

I assume that Saban can bring in the best. Apparently what he is doing is working quite well. Alabama finished? Dream on! Alabama and Saban aren't going anywhere, and we are dreadfully foolish to think so. Once again they reeled in the number one recruiting class in the nation. And yeah, that stuff counts. We still aren't recruiting on their level, although we are coming closer. I can guarantee you that since their loss to us in the NC, Saban has been kicking a$$ and taking names. We'd better have on our "big boy" hats this coming season---and not only with Alabama. S. Carolina 20th in the nation in recruiting? Huh? Say what? And we were only 10th?? ###?

Feb 15, 2019, 6:01 PM

I assume that’s a joke about u of S.C. Our depth class without the stars we are used to is roughly 10 spots higher than theirs.

As for Bama... they are Bama and we will see them again next year. With our talent, staff, and elite players at the most important positions... I like our chances to repeat.

I do not believe Bama will make the playoff next year.

Feb 15, 2019, 6:07 PM

I think Saban is done and Tua is the millstone around his neck which breaks Saban's 70 yr old back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2019, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Saban announces 2019 coaching staff, led by 7 new coaches ]

How sad that you spend so much time on your rivals board.
Although you do offer a lot of football insight.... Said no one ever.! ??????

Feb 16, 2019, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Saban announces 2019 coaching staff, led by 7 new coaches ]

I don't think anyone is saying Alabama is "finished" - they're far too talented for that - but that the lack of coaching continuity is having a significant and profound effect...and I don't think anyone would argue.

Two things generally kill dynasties: talent drain, or brain drain. After getting taken to the cleaners by Kirby over several recruits in 2017-2018, Saban put an emphasis on getting younger guys who could recruit as assistants. And while a lot of these guys were indeed top-dog recruiters and Alabama was back on the top of the recruiting rankings this past class, they also weren't getting their defense coached by veteran Saban-tree guys like Kirby Smart, Will Muschamp, or Jeremy Pruitt, either, and it showed. The Tide D just had no answers and no adjustments for what Clemson was doing to them in the national title game...and if you looked close, that D struggled against Oklahoma and Georgia as well the prior two as well. Keep in mind Saban's defensive system is a very complicated pattern match system that usually initially presents as a 2-deep look but will shift into something else (and play either man or zone) depending on what the offense is showing them...it's not easy and it's not conventional, and considering Alabama's extremely high attrition in regards to personnel - they suffer an awesome amount of early entries into the NFL every year - they've generally got to pound it into their players' heads in a hurry.

Which means Saban's position coaches themselves have to know it backwards and forwards, and they have to be top teachers and communicators as well. That was a problem this past year because of the massive coaching turnover, which meant Saban was trying to teach it to his new coaches even as they were trying to teach it to a new batch of players...it showed up big when they got to the elite teams on the schedule and I don't see how it's not going to be a huge problem for them again this year either.

Alabama has suffered massive brain drain. And it only seems to be getting worse, not better.

Are the Tide still good enough to get to the playoffs? Maybe. Will they be able to stop Clemson's offense this year either? Their new coaches and players are going to have some serious work to put in.

Bama - “one and done”

Feb 16, 2019, 12:37 PM

Funny, Bama is home of the “one and done” coaching model. And just like the trainwreck that is current men’s basketball eligibility, talent on the field covers the warts.

They were 14-0 and then laid an egg against us. Until they get a severe talent drain, I’d expect to see them against UGA as a play in for the foreseeable future

Which brings me to my next point.

Feb 15, 2019, 6:04 PM

Only two things could be possible. Either a team with that many new coaches will fall off the map while the team learns a new system or the head coach will be a monster micro manager who is overbearing and won't allow coaches to teach what they know.

If you eliminate the 'falling off the map,' and realize that this happens every single year it's pretty easy to understand that Saban is a monster micro manager who refuses change to the cold bitter end. I think everyone knows this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2019, 6:36 PM

Sark is a really good Offensive Coordinator . They'll have another good year on that side of the ball , but maybe a little more balanced .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 15, 2019, 6:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2019, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Saban announces 2019 coaching staff, led by 7 new coaches ]

Sark was the Bama OC during the Tigers championship in 2016 after Kiffen left and he just finished running the Falcons offense in the ground. Maybe he'll do for Bama what he did for Atlanta. In 2016, when Sark was at Bama, the Falcons offense was #1 in NFL scoring and the 5th best in NFL history. In 2017, Sark's first year with the Falcons, they dropped to the 15th scoring offense. The Falcons did improve to 10th in 2018. Still a lot of talent wasted.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

shipments of liquor heading down I-20 from SC to Tuscaloosa***

Feb 15, 2019, 6:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2019, 7:49 PM

I do recall former coaches saying woking under saban is " not for everybody" , " a challenge" , "hectic", "intense" , etc. If that's what they are saying to the press, imagine what they are saying behind closed doors. The coaches have to know what they are getting into, but are wiling to put up with it to bost their career. Just part of saban's 'it's a business' method.

They’ll have a nice little season in the SEC,

Feb 15, 2019, 7:53 PM

and then crumble again when they face a powerhouse like Clemson.

Yawnnnnn.....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Four things will happen in Clemson/Bama V

Feb 16, 2019, 12:17 PM

1. Bama will score more points
2. The spread will be less than 30 points
3. Clemson WON'T take a knee at the 4...
4. Clemson will win...again...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,648
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic