Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SPEAKING OF THE CANNON and Tiger pushups.......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

SPEAKING OF THE CANNON and Tiger pushups.......

Sep 7, 2015, 6:28 AM

No doubt that the cannon problems were due to misfiring and the elimination of the old practice of pre-game "warmups."

I was on the squad in the 60's, and we always test-fired the cannon on Bowman Field prior to games by first soliciting student volunteers to stand a little downfield, holding up targets. We'd then load live rounds, and if we hit the targets, we knew the thing was working properly. If we hit the students, we knew we had to make adjustments.

For some reason we always had trouble recruiting volunteers...unless we rounded up some of our frat buddies who had been imbibing for several hours and just didn't give a flying d@mn. Needless to say, few folks dared to venture onto Bowman during those sessions.

Now, the students who were The Tiger had to be hearty souls, for even on chilly days, it was about 120+ degrees inside that costume, and that's why we regularly dumped ice water on the poor fellow during games. I suspect the kid had problems moving his head, much less the rest of his body, and hence, the poor routines of the pushups. Of course, he could have removed the outfit for those performances, but then again, few would have cared to view his dangling participle.

Personally, I've long supported the idea of replacing the cannon with a battery of Howitzers and have steadfastly refused to endorse our Tiger wearing a Spandex costume. The former would bring a certain Oomph to our show, while the latter would cause too many titters, twitters and jitters. Thus, I suppose we are relegated to what we have with hopes that the performances will be much better.

Lastly, lol....Good morning to my great TigerNet Friends! Have a great week, and...

GO TIGERS...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SPEAKING OF THE CANNON and Tiger pushups.......

Sep 11, 2022, 2:12 PM

:)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And that, friends, is how to write an opinion piece,

Sep 7, 2015, 9:26 AM

get your point across and move on. Tip of the hat, sir.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

How did you get Coots to volunteer to hold the targets?***

Sep 7, 2015, 9:32 AM

You just ask them....

Sep 7, 2015, 10:18 AM

Coots are stupid animals.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHen I use to train bird dogs, we would use pen raised birds

Sep 7, 2015, 10:31 AM

for the pups. We's fold the birds head under a wing, swing them around about three or four times like a softball pitcher warming up, and put them on the ground,where they would just sit for a lonnnng time. I figured it was omething like that with the coots...

Sep 7, 2015, 10:38 AM

Is that happened to you? Injured in a cannon test fire? ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Citadel has CANNON!

Sep 8, 2015, 8:58 AM

Love our "cannon" tradition but was at the Citadel game Sat nite where they scored 69 points against Davidson...and they have 2 real Cannon! Sure the neighbors were losing their minds from all the noise. So many discharges that the wall in front of them turned black.

Sep 8, 2015, 11:06 AM

A couple of 155's at the Top of the Hill would do just fine.

Harry, do you remember who handled the cannon when you were in school? I am sure y'all prolly got some of the Chi lambda's to hold the bulls eyes on Bowman, and when you ran out, got Arnold Air to sub in...

So goes Scabbard and Blade....

Sep 8, 2015, 11:14 AM

that is tooooo funny about the target practice. Good Morning Hartins.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was that round shot or grape shot in the cannon?

Sep 8, 2015, 11:20 AM

grape shot helps with hitting the target... and the poor slob holding it.

Now if we could adopt a more shapely female mascot... I'm all for the spandex costume

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic