Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC and DirecTV
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

SEC and DirecTV

Aug 4, 2014, 7:30 PM

Directv has announced that they will carry the SEC Network.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC and DirecTV

Aug 4, 2014, 7:36 PM

Any extra cost?

I have AT&T uverse and they have the channel set up, playing a repeat or SEC propaganda right now. But don't know if it will be carried for free or cost money.

Regardless if it is included in a basic package,the cost will go up when your current contract expires.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2014, 7:48 PM

I don't think they've announced the particulars. I will tune in on August 28th to pull for my second favorite team that day. Go AGGIES.

The only solid numbers I can find are from DISH TV.

Aug 5, 2014, 7:22 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC and DirecTV ]

Their basic package does not include the SEC Network. Includes few channels for around $20 and also doesn't include any of the ESPNs. The package for around $35 gets one the SEC Network and ESPNs plus many other channels.

It seems if you are with a satellite or cable operator and your package already includes ESPN, all subscriber's cost will go up $1.30 per month, .25 for carriers outside the SEC footprint. Looks like the only way to get out of it is to drop to the most basic package, or drop service completely

Last I saw DIRECT TV ( my carrier ) has announced the deal but still will not give any info on costs or how it will be charged, almost like it's a national secret. I get the impression that we're not going to like it. Any way to opt out and I will.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clear information on all of your questions is not

Aug 5, 2014, 8:06 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC and DirecTV ]

available on the web. This whole SEC deal looks like most parties doing it were caught red handed doing something illegal. That's the way they're acting.

My advice it to keep a close eye on all boilerplate letters or emails from your provider and your bill.

Still nobody can answer why those who care nothing about the SEC or football should be forced to pay for it.

Millions taken at gunpoint. The SEC would make the mafia proud.

I don't care about HGTV. Why should I be forced to pay for

Aug 5, 2014, 8:12 AM

it?

Because that's how cable works.

Re: I don't care about HGTV. Why should I be forced to pay for

Aug 5, 2014, 8:17 AM

You actually have a good point coot.

If there is enough popular demand for any station than the cable providers will carry it in the basic package and make everyone pay an extra 25c plus.

I know the Big 10 network cost extra for me, but in the conference footprint I bet it is included in the basic package. Same thing will be done when there is an ACC network.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ya, even if though the BIG10 costs extra, it's the same

Aug 5, 2014, 11:27 AM

principal, just the cost is separated out on your bill.

That was bundled into the package probably when you

Aug 5, 2014, 8:30 AM [ in reply to I don't care about HGTV. Why should I be forced to pay for ]

bought it. I don't think HGTV costs as much as the SECV Network does. I'm a big fan of a la carte pay TV.

Just what people needed in this economy, another rate increase.

As always, I wouldn't mind seeing the network as part of an extended package you can choose to pay for or not.

A la carte TV would be the best thing ever, but then the

Aug 5, 2014, 11:25 AM

cable companies would lose money. Unfortunately as it stands they get to charge you for channels that 90% of people don't watch by bundling it in with everything else.

Re: A la carte TV would be the best thing ever, but then the

Aug 5, 2014, 11:29 AM

It's not the cable companies doing this. It's the broadcasters like Viacom who want you to subsidize VH1 viewers to get TVLand

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2014, 8:28 AM

Someone called in on a sports show this morning after speaking with DirecTV and said SECN will be on a certain package and up. Not sure yet which package it will be on. I twill likely be on the Choice package and up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will they show Our/LSwho Peach bowl or Our/UGAy game?

Aug 5, 2014, 8:33 AM

Dood, I don't even watch ESPiN except when it's the only way to watch a Clemson game. TigerRay on youtube takes care of the replays for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OH HAPPY DAY

Aug 5, 2014, 11:27 AM

Can't wait to watch SEC swimming.

There's something in these hills.

Aug 5, 2014, 11:54 AM

So is the SEC channel different than the ESPN gameplan that Directv offers now that includes ACC, SEC, Big 12, etc??

They still have UL listed under the American Athletic conference. Slow I guess.

Aug 5, 2014, 12:02 PM

I found this info also, but nothing about extra cost is mentioned (Unless I missed it).

http://news.directv.com/2014/08/04/directv-to-provide-new-sec-network-on-august-14-2014/

DIRECTV to Provide New SEC Network on August 14, 2014
August 4, 2014

DIRECTV and ESPN Combine to Enable SEC Fans with More than 45 Exclusive Football Games at Launch

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. and BRISTOL, Conn., August 4, 2014 – DIRECTV and ESPN have entered into an agreement for DIRECTV to provide the new SEC Network to fans and followers of the Southeastern Conference when the network launches Aug. 14. The first college football game on the new network will air Aug. 28 featuring #20 Texas A&M vs. #9 South Carolina.

“The SEC boasts powerhouse athletic programs, especially in football, representing deeply loyal communities, many of which do not have any professional teams,” said Dan York, DIRECTV’s Chief Content Officer. “The depth of SEC competition and the quality ESPN brings to game production and complementary programming makes SEC Network a valuable addition to our sports programming lineup, and we’re excited to bring it into our customers’ homes and on their devices.”

“Our agreement with DIRECTV continues to push the SEC Network towards one of the most successful network launches when it debuts on August 14,” said Sean Breen, Disney and ESPN Media Networks Senior Vice President, Affiliate Sales. “We’re proud to deliver the SEC Network nationwide via DIRECTV in advance of the Texas A&M and South Carolina game later this month.”

The SEC Network will deliver at least 45 exclusive SEC football games this season. Recently released pre-season polls rank seven SEC teams in the college football preseason top 25, ensuring consistently close, competitive match-ups on SEC Network. The network will also serve as an all-access pass to nationally competitive events, news and information, expert analysis, classic games and in-depth features on the most storied conference in college athletics.

SEC Commissioner Mike Slive said, “With opening day now firmly in sight, we are happy to count DIRECTV, the country’s largest satellite provider, among our many distributors for the SEC Network. The SEC is home to the most passionate fans in college sports and I am pleased to have such a wide distribution by launch date for the benefit of SEC fans everywhere.”
“With the launch of SEC Network just days away, we look forward to serving these legions of current and prospective students, alumni and loyal supporters with quality content and coverage nationwide,” added Justin Connolly, ESPN Senior Vice President, College Networks.

About DIRECTV:
DIRECTV (NASDAQ: DTV) is one of the world’s leading providers of digital television entertainment services delivering a premium video experience through state-of-the-art technology, unmatched programming and industry leading customer service to more than 38 million customers in the U.S. and Latin America. In the U.S., DIRECTV offers its 20 million customers access to more than 195 HD channels and Dolby-Digital® 5.1 theater-quality sound, access to exclusive sports programming such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET™, Emmy-award winning technology and higher customer satisfaction than the leading cable companies for 14 years running. DIRECTV Latin America, through its subsidiaries and affiliated companies in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, and other Latin American countries, leads the pay TV category in technology, programming and service, delivering an unrivaled digital television experience to more than 18 million customers. DIRECTV sports and entertainment properties include two Regional Sports Networks (Rocky Mountain and Pittsburgh), and minority ownership interests in Root Sports Northwest and Game Show Network. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit www.directv.com.

About SEC Network:
The Southeastern Conference and ESPN have signed a 20-year agreement through 2034 to create and operate a multiplatform network that will launch August 14, 2014. The new network and its accompanying digital platform will air SEC content 24/7 including more than 1,000 events in its first year. The network will televise 45 SEC football games, more than 100 men’s basketball games, 60 women’s basketball games, 75 baseball games, and events from across the SEC’s 21 sports annually. Programming will also include in-depth commentary and analysis in studio shows, daily news and information original content such as SEC Storied, spring football games, and more. Hundreds of additional live events from various sports will be offered exclusively on the digital platform.

Aug 5, 2014, 12:31 PM

Being in a basic tier was important to the SEC. The fact that they don't say that it is means it's probably not.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never a doubt***

Aug 5, 2014, 12:28 PM

SEC network also available in Space:

Aug 5, 2014, 12:35 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/08/04/astronaut-gets-nasa-to-put-sec-network-on-international-space-station/

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic