Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC ain't all that-
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

SEC ain't all that-

Jun 28, 2012, 2:04 AM

I've been a member for a while but never post, mainly because I like to listen and absorb all of my fellow Tigers Posts. That being said- Everyone it seems is down on the ACC. Tell me this- who in the SEC could beat Clemson, Virginia Tech, Florida State or Georgia Tech on any given saturday? I mean really? The SEC has Bama, LSU, and Arky. The powers in the SEC do not play ACC teams for their out of conference games for a reason- food for thought if nothing else-

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC ain't all that-

Jun 28, 2012, 3:46 AM

agreed. i have always said that the sec is top heavy. #1-12, the sec isn't much different than any other conf.. what gets me is that usc (trojans) has a booster pay bush and gets slammed, while an sec school (insert team here, they all cheat) surpasses the $ amount five-fold, and gets a slap on the wrist. doesn't make any sense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2012, 5:49 AM

Of course, I don't agree. Regardless, the top of the SEC is extremely heavy, as Alabama, LSU, Arkansas and South Carolina were all ranked among the Top 8 teams in the nation.

Jun 28, 2012, 5:53 AM

usuc being there was just an aberration, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.arkansas is going to free-fall, post patrino, and either uga,uf or tenn will take spot #3. after that, there is not a team that scares anyone,year-in and year-out.

Jun 28, 2012, 5:55 AM

Gotcha.

Jun 28, 2012, 8:03 AM

I dont remember us ever playing Al good. LSU? I thinbk we are getting better when we play well and I know our defense will be improved this year. We can play with most teams now and win some, but our big game history right now isn't that good. However, we are improving as a team with better players and coaches. Usually we start out slow and get better and now it seems we start out good and get worse. Hopefully, one season we will put it all together and win em all. Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ROFL.....

Jun 28, 2012, 8:09 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC ain't all that- ]

unless your comparing arrests or NCAA probations, including $CU in the ame category as Alabama, LSU and Arkansas may be one of the most deluded and ignorant posts you've ever made on this forum

In the last nine meetings, $CU is a combined 1 - 8 against those three teams and hasn't come event remotely close to the level of success those team have expereinced but thanks for the laugh.

What a maroon !!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

please dont be mean to Neilly, he is one of the few of them

Jun 28, 2012, 8:44 AM

on here who actually seems to have manners and common sense. I have not heard him say his program has taken over college football like the other 99% of them seem to think.

Jun 28, 2012, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC ain't all that- ]

> Of course, I don't agree. Regardless, the top of the
> SEC is extremely heavy, as Alabama, LSU, Arkansas and
> South Carolina were all ranked among the Top 8 teams
> in the nation.

Yes, well, come back and remind us where you are ranked after the 2012 season when you go 6-6. And don't say that my 6-6 prediction is BS. Take a look at the boatload of your players you lost to the NFL draft. The 2012 season can't get here too soon.

Jun 28, 2012, 8:30 AM

Last year throughout the week leading up to Nov 26 a lot of ACC fans on message boards were saying how that Saturday was going to show the SEC wasn't that great. Then the SEC went 3-1 vs the ACC that day. And that was just SEC East teams.

Jun 28, 2012, 8:55 AM

Since FSU joined the ACC in 1991, the numbers have been pretty close between the ACC and SEC Rivalrys.

UF: 11 FSU: 11 Tie: 1
GA: 17 GT: 4
CAR: 8 Clem: 13

SEC: 36 ACC: 28

I think all of the teams above have had their respectable seasons, and will continue to improve. Great thing about rivalries. You Win some, You Lose some. Keep it fun and competitive.

(Eye spy a team above without a National Championship in football) SEE!!! KEEP IT FUN!!

Jun 28, 2012, 8:57 AM

thank you for expanding that and without markb's goggles on allin

Jun 28, 2012, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC ain't all that- ]

Maybe if we have a couple of one loss teams in the ACC this year they can play for the National Title!!!!Or maybe even a two loss team like LSU a few years back.

And let's be realistic, did anybody want to chase down wvus

Jun 28, 2012, 9:41 PM

Spread that yr. they were the best team w a heathy pat white.
Seems like they also rippied Uga a new one around that time too before a 2nd half comeback. But still won

Jun 30, 2012, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC ain't all that- ]

That is the problem right there with your way of thinking. You are going back and looking at stats from 20+ years ago. People are just looking at the here and now; what's happened lately. The ACC was a great conference at one time but has been pretty irrelevant in the past several years while the SEC continues to improve (as well as other conferences).

When they institute academic oversight, that will change.***

Jun 30, 2012, 10:49 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2012, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC ain't all that- ]

real huge data sampling you've got there...

Jun 28, 2012, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC ain't all that- ]

Let's break that down real quick...

Scar beat Clemson. Previous week Clemson played NCState, Scar played the Citadel.
FSU beat Florida. FSU played UVA. Florida played Furman.

GT and Wake Forest both were not very good last year, so no excuses there.

However, two of the respected ACC's schools played legitimate, in-conference, championship-at-stake games the week before this matchup. The SEC teams decided to fluff their schedule the week before giving them essentially 2 weeks to prepare for our match ups, and still only managed to split the wins.

So the Solution would be to play earlier in the year?

Jun 28, 2012, 9:22 AM

that would be weird, but interesting.

Re: So the Solution would be to play earlier in the year?

Jun 28, 2012, 9:26 AM

No, the solution is for the ACC to schedule our cupcakes for the week, or hell two weeks preceding playing the SEC. They can give themselves an advantage, why don't we just even the field and take that away?

This year we play NCState the week before, which will certainly have ACC Championship consequences. Scar? They play the powerhouse of Wofford. Give me a freaking break.

No wonder they are beating us lately. They are taking 2 weeks to game plan for us.

Jun 28, 2012, 9:33 AM

That does add up to quite an advantage physically and mentally. I hate to make excuses, but sometimes you just have to look at the obvious dissadvantages! This is something than could be altered to favor us, or at least level the playing field. Thanks Swofford.

we fixed that starting in 2013 .. SoCon opponent week bfore

Jun 28, 2012, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: So the Solution would be to play earlier in the year? ]

scar from now on... starting with my alma mater in 2013

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

link?

Jun 28, 2012, 10:31 AM

i've been hoping that would happen for a few years now... Slive>Swofford

Wofford..

Jun 28, 2012, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: So the Solution would be to play earlier in the year? ]

If USCe keeps messing around and playing Wofford every year they will lose soon.

Remember a couple years ago when Wofford was going to win and then fumbled the ball late in the forth? I for one cannot wait until the Terriers shove that running game down their throat and pick up a W. How amazing would that be for them to lose to two instate schools back to back

Navy game looked promising last season

Jun 28, 2012, 10:30 AM

Lattimore won that game for them.

Remember last year when Wofford came into

Jun 29, 2012, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Wofford.. ]

Death Valley?

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

Jun 28, 2012, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Re: So the Solution would be to play earlier in the year? ]

Let's see how many excuses we can come up with for losing to SCu. Ready...GO

Jun 29, 2012, 1:20 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC ain't all that- ]

I'm sure I will get blasted for saying this but here goes. It wasn't to many years ago we played Tenn., Florida, and Clemson at the end of every year. I'm sure you remember it because it was called the orange crush.

GT and Wake not very good

Jun 29, 2012, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC ain't all that- ]

One of them beat Clemson handidly, the other was last second field goal in the valley

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

THe SEC Is Overrated....

Jun 28, 2012, 9:53 AM

Yes, LSU, BAMA, ARK good teams, probably some of the best in the Nation.... the others in the SEC?, no better then any other good teams in the current FBS.... some SEC teams are bad, real bad....

The SEC's reputation is a result of good marketing, no more, no less.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I pointed this out last week and got relentlessly hammered .

Jun 28, 2012, 10:00 AM

good luck

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like I have said before...if this were the 1980's or 1990's

Jun 28, 2012, 10:29 AM

People would be talking about how deep the ACC was in football schools.

Miami
FSU
VT
Clemson
Pitt(Was #1 before we took the spot in 1981)
GT(1990 Nat. Champs)
UNC
BC

Point is things can change pretty quickly. All teams go through lulls...Oklahoma, Texas, Southern Cal, Alabama, Tennessee, UCLA, Michigan, Penn St, LSU......all have gone through periods where they have been down in the last 20 years. ACC has good lineup of schools, it just needs to step up on the performance side at the top of the conference. And get a commish that will help the football cause and negotiate without nepotism. There is nothing wrong with being a member of an east coast football conference. Lots of people on the east coast. ACC also covers a lot of states and we have quite a bit of political support in those states. Don't forget that aspect.

Things will not change nearly as quickly as they did

Jun 28, 2012, 10:38 AM

in the 80s and that's mainly due to the advantages that money brings.

Slive knows the timing is right right now for him to solidify the future for the SEC and he's doing it. If that means teh end of the Big East and/or ACC, he doesn't care. He is trying to make the SEC THE power in college football and as a result, all of college atheletics.

So far, he's going a great job. Meanwhile, our Commish is asleep at the wheel when he's not negotiating for his son/son's company.

I hope Swofford gets herpes of the eye!

For recruits, perception is reality. The perception of the

Jun 28, 2012, 10:35 AM

SEC is good/great among these kids. The perception of the ACC is... 1 BCS bowl win, weak conference.

Our recruiting is sooo bad isn't it?***

Jun 28, 2012, 10:41 AM

I'll let you know after I see our OL signees.

Jun 28, 2012, 10:45 AM

We've had GREAT skill players for years yet we get dominated in the trenches. And despited having 1st rounders on our DL, they don't show up against Ga Tech or WVU or in any of the games where we pulled a "Clemson."

So only OL care about conferences and money?***

Jun 28, 2012, 10:46 AM

Re: So only OL care about conferences and money?***

Jun 29, 2012, 12:24 AM

He was referring to the ACC as a whole (not specifically Clemson) and I'd have to agree. Look at the recruiting class rankings and see how many ACC vs SEC teams you see. There is no comparison.

Clemson University is unique when it comes to recruiting. It amazes me how we are able to get so much talent to the university, but I do understand why. Great campus, academics, althletic program, traditions and recruiters make all the difference.

what are you talking about? you suggested our recruiting

Jun 29, 2012, 12:31 AM [ in reply to So only OL care about conferences and money?*** ]

is going well. i suggested that given our OL situation for the past 5 or so years, our recruiting has had 1 glaring weakness, OL.

I hope that Guillermo and Destefano play up to their potential but we are thin at OL. every year, it seems like that is our question mark.

You're suggesting our recruinting isn't going well.

Jun 29, 2012, 8:14 AM

and blaming association with the ACC for it. Olinemen aren't any different from other recruits.

Our recruiting is ok. It's not great.

Jun 29, 2012, 2:16 PM

While we could have a repeat of 2 years ago where we land Droogsma and Crowder or we can have a repeat of last year where we don't sign these guys.

If we get them, recruiting is great. If we don't, then I'll have a problem with this years class b/c we will have failed to address our most pressing need for the past 5 years.

From what I have heard, Destefano will never see the field***

Jun 29, 2012, 9:24 AM [ in reply to what are you talking about? you suggested our recruiting ]

Re: From what I have heard, Destefano will never see the field***

Jun 29, 2012, 9:26 AM

Well maybe you misheard

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need a new battery for that hearing aid?***

Jun 30, 2012, 10:33 AM [ in reply to From what I have heard, Destefano will never see the field*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean the sec east isn't worth a crap***

Jun 29, 2012, 1:44 AM

- and a bag of chips***

Jun 29, 2012, 8:14 AM

Solid teams and great environments.

Jun 29, 2012, 8:57 AM

At SEC schools, football rules everything. At ACC schools....not so much. That said, we should be able to compete with the SEC better than our record indicates.

I'd probably also throw SC, UF, AU, UGA & maybe TN/MSU

Jun 29, 2012, 9:02 AM

in that mix. All of those teams could win or lose in a close one against FSU, Clemson, GT & VT. LSU and Bama would probably win every time...at least in the past 2 years and this year.

The SEC is a bit overrated, but it is still the best football conference.

I ain't arguing which conference is best.

Jun 29, 2012, 9:31 AM

I'm not going to refer you to the polls.

I'm not going to refer you to popular opinion.

I'm not going to refer you to sports writers.

I'm not going to refer you to the recent historical data.

I'm just going to leave it alone because the facts offend me too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2012, 12:31 PM

Those six straight MNCs in football have people fooled. They are mediocre at best.

Jun 30, 2012, 2:07 PM

how many y'all got? you need to quit going to your big brothers for help. sad, really it is.

Excellent troll....can't believe so many ate the bait.***

Jun 30, 2012, 10:29 AM

Jun 30, 2012, 2:44 PM

There's about 5-6 teams in the SEC every year that could compete for the ACC title. It's nearly impossible to have 9-10 quality teams in a league.

Insulting the SEC for having "only" 3-4 elite teams is a waste of time when even their middle teams are top 25 or fringe top 25 teams.

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic