Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC Bias
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,628

SEC Bias

Nov 13, 2019, 8:42 AM

I was listening to Mickey Plyler this morning and I admit I was not able to listen to all of the conversation he had with a caller from Charleston so correct me if I am wrong.

The caller asked MP his opinion of what would happen if UGA won out and beat LSU in the sec champ game. The caller was convinced LSU would be out in favor of a Pac 12 of Big 12 one loss champ. MP seemed convinced the sec would not get 2 teams in the playoff. I am not so sure.

MP pointed out that Ohio State was left out of the playoff last year as a 1 loss champ. Only problem with Ohio State was they got beat down by 29 points at Purdue. Really bad loss. They also had a 1 point OT win over a Maryland team that was 6-5 at the time.

To me LSU is a different scenario entirely because even though some of the teams they have beaten may not be ranked at the end of the year they beat a bunch of SEC teams which in the eyes of the media and probably the committee means more.

If the caller's scenario played out you would likely have #1 Ohio State, #2 Clemson, #3 UGA, and #4 LSU leaving out the Big 12 and Pac 12 again.

MP does not see this happening because he believes the committee does not have the same sec bias as espn and the national media. I suggest that the committee has never faced this scenario so we assume there is no bias. 2017 Bama got in as a 4 seed and did not win the division or conference. Easy decision for the committee because Ohio State had 2 losses.

If this plays out I believe the sec gets 2 teams in again this year.

Thoughts??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC Bias

Nov 13, 2019, 8:47 AM

For the love of GOD, there is ZERO chance, nada, no way in hell, that both teams (winner and loser) of ANY conference championship game, played on Dec 7, are going to the CFP. It's just not happening. They are NOT going to schedule an immediate rematch 21 days later.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 8:53 AM

It would not be a rematch unless they proved the committee right and played in the CFP Championship on January 13th. If both do not go, then which one does? I agree that the PAC 12 gets left out in that scenario.

Nov 13, 2019, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC Bias ]

Actually, there is an extremely strong chance that if Georgia beats LSU and it is close that both teams go to the playoff...probably like an 80% chance.

Nov 13, 2019, 8:47 AM

I get Mickey's point. I agree, to a point. We do see an SEC bias. But is it really the committee's bias? We may be confusing the committee with the steaming pile of crap that flows from the propagandists at ESPN.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:09 AM

I would argue that we have seen a committee bias. Three out of the top 5 are in the SEC in the CFP poll and 5 out of the top 12. I keep hearing that OSU had 2 losses to Alabama's 1 in 2017 and so there was no bias. If you don't make your conference championship why should I not count that almost as a loss by forfeit. In my opinion, the CFP put who they wanted in and then looked for a reason why as opposed to the other way around. The committee in addition to comparing the number of losses said that Alabama was "unequivocally" better which was required by the guidelines that they generally ignore. Without an SEC bias, I just don't think that you can make that statement.

The CFP Committee would have a hard time rationalizing...

Nov 13, 2019, 8:48 AM

and justifying a decision to leave-out a one loss conference champion from the Big12 or Pac12 in favor of a one loss non-conference champion.

A loss that late in the season, especially a decisive loss, would be hard to overcome.

In that scenario, both Bama and LSU should be out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 13, 2019, 8:48 AM

Georgia will not be there. Auburn and LSU will beat them I believe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,628
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic