Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SCNOW...because I can and someone should (long)...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

SCNOW...because I can and someone should (long)...

Mar 27, 2014, 10:09 PM

To Whom It May Concern:

Please be advised that I have ensured that the entire list of contacts on your website receive this message. I've also ensured that, as you will see below, as many other influential contacts and opportunities that I have will be contacted unless something happens to rectify this situation.

I can't decide what about the article "BUNDY COLUMN: Swinney off base about athletes" bothers me more. Is it the fact that Bundy is absolutely off-base in his article by taking one line of an interview and completely ignoring objective journalism? Is it the fact that Bundy decided to ignore past precedents set by Dabo Swinney or do any research to that point? Is it the fact that Bundy's Editor in Chief let this article be published? Is it the fact that irresponsible journalism, a need for 'hits' on the website and controversy to gain advertising revenue likely caused this article to be printed? I could go on because this game that media companies play doesn't elude me as your company's journalistic integrity has yourselves. You should all be ashamed of Sam Bundy, and anyone else who places value on what has been accomplished in yesterday's article.

I will spare you the details, as I believe that somewhere in your organization are people who understand what was and wasn't done with this article. What was done...you successfully got traffic from a loyal fanbase of Clemson fans, and likely rival South Carolina fans as well. But at what expense? You see, that's what wasn't done...consideration of the outcome.

Think for a moment about the rabid fans that Clemson University breeds. I know you understand, because you wouldn't have written the article if you didn't already know. It may have been good this week, but what about the future of scnow.com? What happens when those hits dissipate and the throng of Clemson faithful do everything in their power to see to it that you have no legs to stand on?

You see, as a regional news outlet, you should have some foresight. But alas, considering I've never been to your website before, nor will I ever again, I've come to the conclusion that you do not. What's even more disturbing is how as the technical administrator for a Fortune 500 company, I blocked all access across all networks in the organization I work for to scnow.com. I composed a list of 50 contacts in position to do the same in other Fortune 1000 companies and encouraged them to send along the message. You know, all us nerds like to keep in touch what with technology and instant access being such an ongoing issue in IT departments. We have to keep our employees doing actual work...instead of wasting their time on your site. But hey, I don't know of another South Carolina based news site on the blacklist of multiple companies, so good job Bundy. You should be proud.

Next on my list, pending your decision to apologize publicly, is to push for advertising restrictions and other ways to boycott your irresponsible journalism. Vindictive? No more than Sam Bundy if you ask me. Turn about is fair play after all. I do hope it was worth it.

Please feel free to respond and correct matter appropriately. I think a nice positive article and interview (if he'll accept...which I believe he will, because that's the kind of person he ACTUALLY is) about Dabo Swinney seems appropriate. Thoughts?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RESPONSE

Mar 27, 2014, 10:25 PM

Mr. Kidd,
Sam's column was opinion, and it wasn't presented well. His opinion does not represent the opinion or stance of the paper. I don't believe in sensationalism or presenting viewpoints for the purpose of attracting traffic. It isn't how we run our business. The matter is under review. I appreciate your passion and the time you spent to share it. Thanks. I'm sorry your first visit to our site was not a positive one.
Steve

Stephen Wade
Regional Publisher.

Re: RESPONSE

Mar 27, 2014, 10:31 PM

That article was really stupid. Bundy tried really hard to throw Dabo under the bus for one quoted sentence.

I've got to admit though, I am impressed with their response. It didn't look cookie cutter, and it looks like they realize they made a mistake by publishing the garbage they did.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2014, 10:41 PM

I got a second response from a Mr. Kausler that echoed the same, but with "stay tuned." Then Mr. Wade confirmed the same. I think we'll see something interesting going forward.

I hate to be "that guy", but this was out of line. I too was happy to get quick, reactive responses that seemed genuine. It was respected and noted as I go forward.

Mar 27, 2014, 10:55 PM

Do you have the article? I just went to the site, for the first time, and searched on Bundy column. It looks like the last Bundy column was from Feb.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2014, 10:59 PM

WOW...no, I no longer have it. It has been BANISHED. Now that's some news for you.

I mean...like in the last 20 minutes***

Mar 27, 2014, 10:59 PM

Mar 27, 2014, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Re: RESPONSE ]

good job :)

Mar 27, 2014, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: RESPONSE ]

http://www.scnow.com/sports/article_980394f4-b55e-11e3-8a52-001a4bcf6878.html

Mar 27, 2014, 11:00 PM

Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney just doesn’t get it.
Upon hearing Wednesday’s news that a regional director of the National Labor Relations Board ruled that Northwestern football players can unionize, Swinney told reporters, “We have enough entitlement in this country as it is. To say these guys get nothing totally devalues an education.”

If I’m a Clemson football player, I’m insulted by that. In January, Swinney signed an eight-year contract worth $27.15 million. It’s an excessive amount for any coach, let alone a coach of Swinney’s caliber. And it’s blood money earned off the sweatshop labor that is his players.
Swinney chalks up a group of football players trying to unionize to better themselves as entitlement, yet there’s no one on Clemson’s campus who feels he’s entitled more than Swinney.
No? Then why did Swinney agree to his mega-million dollar deal that is guaranteed for the full eight years even if he is fired within the next three years?
If the Tigers fall flat next year, coach, and you get a pink slip, why should the Brinks truck continue to drop off bags on the doorstep of your mansion? Don’t we have enough entitlement in this country as it is?
Your words, coach. Not mine.
Here’s a little advice, Dabo. You’ve already gotten more than your share of the pie. Don’t begrudge another for trying to get his. Just shut up and coach.
These days, more cash flows into big-time college athletic programs and conferences than some third-world countries. The top programs rake in more than $100 million a year from football and basketball. The NCAA is enjoying a 14-year, $10.8 billion – with a B – contract for its men’s basketball tournament, and the major conferences like the ACC and SEC have a 12-year, $7.2 billion deal with ESPN for a football playoff.
Then there are the millions of dollars pulled down by the NCAA and its athletic programs through tickets, jerseys, clothing, car flags, seat cushions, bottle openers and any other trinkets rabid fans might buy. And don’t forget all the Benjamins from boosters and fundraising breakfasts, lunches, dinners and golf tournaments.
So no, Dabo, when it comes to your players – you know, those guys on the field the fans really pay to see – an education isn’t enough of the pie.
Three meals a day, a roof over your head, some books, lectures and a degree – if a “student-athlete” has time between two-a-days and road trips to earn one – might be sufficient for the no-names on your roster, Dabo. But the guys up the depth chart – you know, the guys who really bring home the bacon for you – surely deserve more.
What about Tajh Boyd, your quarterback who rewrote the Clemson and ACC record books the past three years? His NFL prospects don’t look real good at this point. Is a $40,000-a-year job he might land with his sociology degree all he should get for the riches he’s helped heap upon you?
The Northwestern lawsuit isn’t the first attempt to garner more for college athletes, and there are more on court dockets across the land. At some point, something will change.
One way to give athletes more would be to allow them to sign endorsement deals like Olympic athletes do. Continue to give an athlete his scholarship and have his true worth fulfilled by companies willing to pony up cash for the athlete to pitch their products.
The top athletes would likely garner the most endorsement money as they should, while players who rarely see the field would still have their scholarships. It’s a logical idea. And it’s fair.
No matter how it’s done, though, college athletes should be getting more of the loot. They earn it.
And for you not to see that, Dabo, when your cup runneth over is troubling.

Mar 27, 2014, 11:03 PM

Thx for the C/P. Keep it handy.

Mar 27, 2014, 11:14 PM [ in reply to Re: RESPONSE ]

Thanks. I figured when watching the video last night someone would whine about that line.
I quit reading the article. I guess that guy doesn't realize Dabo put in the same sweat and blood as his players, as a walk on, GA, asst coach, etc.

1st time seeing this article

Mar 28, 2014, 8:11 PM [ in reply to Re: RESPONSE ]

he makes some good points....about Dabo though, not the pay for play stuff.

Lots of truth and a little fluff in there. Good to see a journalist not afraid to speak the truth. Good for him.

Well done... I will be waiting for the clean-up article!***

Mar 27, 2014, 10:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The article was dumb. Censorship is dumber

Mar 28, 2014, 1:06 AM

Just a friendly suggestion, but I wouldn't recommend abusing your authority on your job because you didn't like one column that appeared on a website. That's just as irresponsible as what Bundy did. Not everything people are going to write about Clemson will be positive. It's life and we have to accept it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Thanks and solid advice...

Mar 28, 2014, 1:21 AM

Appreciate the message, and agree with my "authority."

In subsequent messages to scnow.com executives, which I haven't opted to post here in more detail, I've ensured them that I respected & appreciated their prompt and timely response, especially given the hour of my complaint.

I've also implied that all of my "authority" would be circumvented with proper journalism. As an IT administrator I deal with this type of IP block request multiple times a week, many trivial. Such is life for a "nerd" like me.

Truth be told, I have no more authority than Sam Bundy...or CNN for that matter. Sometimes I think that's part of the problem. We just give in to the higher power. Agree...or am I looking for the hidden cameras in my master bedroom?

Re: The article was dumb. Censorship is dumber

Mar 28, 2014, 2:14 AM [ in reply to The article was dumb. Censorship is dumber ]

good grief... get over yourself.

Re: Re: The article was dumb. Censorship is dumber

Mar 28, 2014, 10:18 AM

Can't do that no matter how hard I try. I'm just too awesome.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I hold the view that bad things will continue to happen

Mar 28, 2014, 6:00 AM

unless good men speak up.

I, also, believe you, I and everyone else have a right to express our views, for only through open discourse do we, as a society, continue to build positively through consensus.

Good for you. +1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bundy nonsense

Mar 28, 2014, 6:03 PM

Dear Mr. Bundy,

I recently read your response to Coach Swinney's comments regarding college football players forming unions and felt I must reply. In my mind there seems to be a great deal of shortsightedness expressed by those who like yourself are in favor of paying players. The first thing I think we should do is realize that we are largely talking about two groups of players. The first is the group that will likely go on to make significant money in professional sports. To say that these players are not getting compensated is a difficult argument to make. First, they are obviously getting an education which is in itself very valuable. The other things they are getting are a little harder to articulate but still translate into very real economic compensation. The main thing they receive is the stage on which to showcase their talent for professional sports. It is important to point out that not all stages are created equal. A player that attends Ohio State benefits greatly from the fact that his school has chosen to invest in and be passionate about his sport consistently for over a hundred years. It provides him with coaches who can maximize his potential, who can help him improve his craft, and who allow him to show what he can do against other top notch competitors. There is no doubt that excelling at Ohio State offers the athlete much greater credibility than excelling at the Citadel. The one school has poured assets into its program which benefit its athletes greatly and which very few individuals could ever obtain on their own. To a star football player, spending three or four years under the tutelage of Urban Meyer or Nick Saban is priceless. It gives him instant credibility and opportunity. Thus the amount of exposure and credibility an athlete receives is nearly directly proportional to the amount of resources his school has chosen to place in its sports program. Especially in football, this opportunity exists no where else. It is a very rare commodity. It may be often overlooked but it is very real.

The second group of athletes are those that will likely not play professional sports and truly receive only the education and experience of playing college football. In my mind this is the only group where there is even a question of whether or not they are taken advantage of and never receive monetary compensation for what they contribute. This group still receives an education if they are wise enough to take advantage of it. This is the same education that you and I got because someone paid real dollars for it. Either your parents saved and paid your way, or you worked hard and earned scholarships, or you took out loans and then had to pay them back with interest. Please do not tell any parent who puts money away for college or anyone who is currently paying off student loans that this is anything but an incredibly valuable economic resource. It can literally change the course of not only your life but your children's lives. It is estimated that college graduates earn 75% more a year on average than high school graduates. For one of the best examples of this let's look no further than the object of your considerable disgust, Dabo Swinney. Even before becoming a football coach he was earning a ton of money and had become very successful financially. He came from a background of poverty, ignorance, and a broken family. Do you think that he could have obtained this level of success without having a college degree and without the notoriety that came from being a former Alabama football player? He chose to take advantage of his scholarship and look where he is now. Earning far more than you and I could dream of and likely doing that even before he turned back into coaching.

Lastly I would like to point out the false view perpetuated by the media in general regarding those millions and billions of dollars the universities and the NCAA is making. Besides the head coaches who I agree do have unbelievably high salaries, who are the people getting rich off of this? Are there university presidents on the Forbes list of richest people in the US? Is the head of the NCAA right up there with Bill Gates? The answer is simple. It really does cost a lot to sponsor collegiate sports. Having a broad academic program with rowing and wrestling and girls volleyball costs a ton of money and these costs increase each year. The lion's share of all that TV money is going into other programs and in some cases even helping keep tuition down for other students as state governments increasingly reduce their financial support. If I am wrong then please supply me with the list of people at Clemson and USC that have gotten filthy rich off of the college football success the last five years and I will gladly stand corrected.

I love college sports and especially college football. It is big business in one sense and I know that there is tremendous money in it. I completely support the athletes being given some sort of stipend that better offsets the true cost of attending college, but let's please not turn them into pros too soon. There will be a time for that for those that are the elite of the elite. Instead let me cheer on the Tajh Boyds of the world who play like I used to play. Who will likely never see the millions from the NFL, but played hard none the less. Do you remember Rob Deboer for USC? I'm a Clemson graduate and I loved that guy. He never saw the millions from the NFL but boy was he what college athletics is all about.

It is very easy to say that college players should be paid, it is much more difficult to offer details as how this should be done. It's easy to blast Coach Swinney as out of touch but have you seen how much he truly cares for those kids? As much of an egotistical jerk as Bobbby Knight could be at times, his players love him and he loves them. Unions are for making sure that our automotive and aerospace industry continues to struggle to compete with other countries. Unions are for those who want to make sure there is no gap in pay between the guy that works hard and the guy that does the absolute little as possible. If unions have any place in today's society (and I'm not sure they do) then they surely have no place in college football.

Sincerely,

Kyle Watford, MD

PS I was just a high school athlete and the lessons I received there served me well throughout college and medical school. They taught me to value hard work, work with others, and work towards bigger goals than just bettering myself. They taught me to exercise regularly and stay healthy. I consider them to be perhaps the greatest lessons that I learned.

Bundy nonsense

Mar 28, 2014, 6:04 PM

I sent this response to Bundy

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic