Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serena Williams is a self entitled bully.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Serena Williams is a self entitled bully.

Sep 11, 2018, 1:48 PM

Gets caught with her hand in the cookie jar (getting coaching from the stands) and then tried to intimidate the chair umpire. I thought he showed remarkable restraint. After her rant, he should have just called the match for her opponent and then watched her implode even more.

And then, "celebrities" come out in support of her. But, former tennis players, like Martina Navratilova, saw it for what it really was, and called her out on it. If anyone owes anyone an apology, she owes tennis and the chair umpire one, not the other way around. She has been, and can still be, great, but she is not bigger than the sport.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serena Williams is a self entitled bully.

Sep 11, 2018, 1:53 PM

Sounds like she could have a future in current administration??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 2:32 PM

Certain athletes can do whatever they want and nobody will say one negative word about it. ie. Tiger Woods. Has not won in years but the man crush from the golf announcers make it unbearable to listen to. Ray Lewis got away with murder and he is now in the Hall of Fame.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 2:53 PM

Don't forget to mention Ben Rothlisberger being charged with 2 sexual assaults and NFL kicker Josh Brown assaulting his ex-wife eight physical assaults were reported to the police and twenty more were detailed. He still managed to keep his job.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Serena Williams is a self entitled bully. ]

Tiger gets all the attention because he’s one of the greatest to ever play, and he draws ratings. The same will still be true for Williams after this. If Tiger had a similar meltdown on the golf course he’d also be penalized and receive some negative attention for awhile, and yes would still be the most popular golfer in the world. Just as Williams will still be the most famous tennis player.

Ray Lewis murdered someone? Was there a trial?

I don’t think Maxine Waters is hiring...

Sep 11, 2018, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Serena Williams is a self entitled bully. ]

but judging from her recent behavior on the court, Serena would make a great chief of staff for the esteemed congresswoman from the great state of California.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Russian trolls hitting TigerNet again

Sep 11, 2018, 2:35 PM

If you think a thumbs up is coaching, then recognize my middle finger as coaching you to grow-up.

Except that her coach was interviewed after the match

Sep 11, 2018, 2:55 PM

and he admitted to coaching her from the stands.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Russian trolls hitting TigerNet again

Sep 11, 2018, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Russian trolls hitting TigerNet again ]

Good freaking grief. Is your head up her big butt or something. I vote your post the lamest of the entire year. You obviously did not watch the match and have absolutely not one single clue as to how wrong you are. Is that you SIRena?

This ruined the finals

Sep 11, 2018, 4:43 PM

In football, a sideline warning is assessed before a sideline penalty. The coaching warning is pretty much the same thing. There wasn't a warning, there was only a penalty. Serena overreacted, but to suggest a thumbs up should result into this ridiculousness is absurd.

Basketball, football, tennis, whatever. Call it the same on both sides. Both coaches admitted to coaching during the match. Serena's got caught, but the video shows him doing a double thumbs up and her not even looking at him. The rule states a warning should happen first, but he went full penalty and she went ballistic. Then to penalize again over being called a "thief", I mean, grow a pair.

yeah, it's worth a middle finger-big man behind the keyboard***

Sep 11, 2018, 5:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It wasn't a thumbs up

Sep 11, 2018, 9:05 PM [ in reply to This ruined the finals ]

He was gesturing for her to move forward. As in to move into the court more. Clear tactical advice.

Re: This ruined the finals

Sep 12, 2018, 10:37 AM [ in reply to This ruined the finals ]

Dude, you are so far off its not even funny.

Sep 11, 2018, 2:52 PM

I think she’s the greatest of all-time. I also think women do get treated differently in certain fields. However, this whole thing strikes me as her having a meltdown and deciding to save face afterwards by saying she did it for women’s rights. What she ultimately did was take away a huge moment for the young girl who beat her.

While I won't entirely defend Serena

Sep 11, 2018, 2:57 PM

As her outburst wasn't sportsmanlike, She did nothing that a lot of other players haven't done (mostly male) and are never penalized for.

First, the coaching rule is a dumb rule and all coaches/players do it. Now if the ump sees it they've got every right to call it and I've heard it said he was clearly signaling. But if you're enforcing this rule (again I play and watch a fair amount of tennis and have never seen it called), why start in the FINALS of the 2nd biggest tennis tournament in the world. It's no different than balls and strikes. Players can react to a consistent strike zone, even if its not the actual zone. But when you call the same pitch different ways for different hitters, players get upset.

As for the smashing of the racquet, Djokavic probably does that twice per tournament if he's not playing well. Kyrgios regularly smashes racquets, taunts opponents, yells at umps and fans and sometimes just plain quits giving effort in matches. Nobody call them self-entitled bullies.

Everyone loved John McEnroe because of his "passion" for game. That passion apparently involved yelling at the umps for every perceived miscall. I never saw him penalized for it. Even Federer in his early career could be pretty surly with chair umps.

Nadal was interviewed saying that he feels like this umpire looks for things that players routinely do that are on the edge of the rules and calls them out in order to assert his authority and has had issues with him as well.

I'm not faulting the chair ump for calling the match by the book, but he had the option to give Serena a warning at one point rather than the penalty he issued and he chose the penalty. Almost all players, especially in that match would have received a warning.

Serena melted down, but she's nothing like what you've insinuated. Her actions are no different from many other elite level tennis legends. If Serena owes Tennis an apology so does Djokavic, Kyrgios, McEnroe, Conners, etc.

Former players like Chris Everett have also supported Serena in that the felt the Chair ump should have done more to diffuse the situation, a courtesy that many other players routinely get, rather than issue the penalties and escalate the issue.

I can buy it if you don't like the way Serena handled herself. I surely don't and I hate that it has minimized the great accomplishment of her opponent. However, to call her out like she's the only player that's ever gotten coaching (they all do), or ever smashed a racquet, or ever yelled at a chair ump, I feel you're going after her just because you didn't like her to begin with.

I don’t follow tennis but obviously I know Serena is

Sep 11, 2018, 3:26 PM

one of the greatest of all times. There is simply no excuse for her behavior that day. Even if that guy was too tight on the rules, they are still the rules. Heck, at that level, she should know what to expect from the official. Like knowing if a basketball ref calls loose or tight.

Regardless, if she thought the guy was garbage, she could have handled it better and not overshadowed that other girl’s moment...a girl whose name I don’t know because the story of her great victory is Serena’s “I was throwing a tantrum for women’s rights.”

By the way, Serena is worth $170 million. US Open umpires as of 2011 made $250 a day. I don’t know what they make in 2018.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/07/sports/tennis/many-top-tennis-umpires-skip-the-us-open.html

null

I'm not trying to justify her actions

Sep 11, 2018, 3:51 PM

Just wondering where all the outrage at Serena is coming from when players have been chewing out chair umps and smashing racquets for decades.

Heck there's an entire 10 minute youtube compilation of Djokovic smashing racquets. FYI he's currently playing the best Tennis in the men's game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=derAHAnpelw

The second comment down... " I like it when he brakes his racquet, shows passion, shows heart! : ))?"

I'm assuming the US Open brings in more casual tennis fans plus the travesty that was the trophy presentation has escalated the issue. And that truly is an issue that shouldn't have happened, but it still irks me to see her get called out in this manner for something that happens regularly in tennis.

Well, like I said, I don’t follow tennis so I’m assessing her

Sep 11, 2018, 3:56 PM

behavior on its own merits, not relative to other tennis players. I could not disagree more with the idea that breaking a racket shows passion. It shows a lack of discipline and nothing else.

But then again, you’re talking to a guy that can’t understand why basketball coaches aren’t T’ed up the first time they lose their temper at a ref and ejected the second time. The fact that “working the ref” is considered a job skill of a college basketball coach just amazes me.

null

Re: While I won't entirely defend Serena

Sep 11, 2018, 4:04 PM [ in reply to While I won't entirely defend Serena ]

The problem really came to light as the coach obviously instructed her to start coming to the net, which she acknowledged, and she immediately starting doing as he instructed. It was obvious to even the most casual observer. The reason she pitched her fit was because she was getting her butt handed to her, and she tried to intimidate the young player that idolized her. Anyone with half a brain knew what was happening. Admittedly, I have never liked serena nor her parents for their hateful ways. Venus has always had my respect and I actually pull for her to win, so not sure how racist I am. But serena is an absolute witch that never, ever gives anyone that defeats her any credit for beating her. She always has an excuse but never any praise. How anyone can stand that awful wench is beyond me. She managed to destroy what was probably going to be the greatest moment in that young girl's life. If you want to defend an absolute be-otch like that, then so be it. I cannot wait until she hits her final tennis ball. I will cheer loudly.

So why did the official intervene

Sep 11, 2018, 4:47 PM

Both coaches were coaching. A warning would have been fine. Osaka didn't need the help. Why did he get involved? Had he just let it roll, none of this would have erupted.

I'm sure Osaka doesn't idolize her anymore.

Re: So why did the official intervene

Sep 11, 2018, 5:18 PM

It is my understanding that Serena was warned for the coaching. She was assessed a point for the racquet breaking. She was assessed a game penalty for the extended protest. I believe that the umpire got it right. More players should get the same enforcement. John McEnroe did get point and game penalties for some of his outburst, probably not enough.

Re: So why did the official intervene

Sep 11, 2018, 5:31 PM [ in reply to So why did the official intervene ]

elementow - your replies just further indicates that you are speaking out of your butt. A warning WAS GIVEN. The witch could have let it go, and NOTHING else would have happened. SHE chose to be a royal witch and pitch her entitled tantrum to intimidate. NOBODY made her break her racquet. Please stop posting your ignorance. I have now met the dumbest poster on the internet.

Djokovic, Kyrgios and other men's players

Sep 11, 2018, 9:09 PM [ in reply to While I won't entirely defend Serena ]

Certainly get code violations for outbursts. In fact I saw a stat that showed the total amount of code violations given at the 2018 US Open. 86 were given to men and 22 were given to women. So the rules are definitely enforced on the men as well.

John McEnroe was actually defaulted entirely from a match at the 1990 Australian Open for continuing to berate an official.

Sep 11, 2018, 9:58 PM [ in reply to While I won't entirely defend Serena ]

Mac was disqualified in a match after receiving penalties for code violations. Disqualified in 1990 Australian Open.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2018, 10:26 AM [ in reply to While I won't entirely defend Serena ]

If all Serena did was yell disputing a call, no problem. As stated by many, McEnroe and a lot of others have done much worse. But, calling the Chair a liar and a thief, that is a level of personal attack I have never heard before. And, the carp about "men have done much worse" sounds just like "But, officer, everybody else was speeding, why stop ME!" Trying to claim she was doing it "for all women" is just a self serving crock to deflect criticism away from her terrible behavior. Not going to give her a pass on it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 3:42 PM

Thank you 76er for saying what needed to be said. I chose not to say it because I'm pretty racist and tired of a lot of crap that I continue to see, so my words would fall on deaf ears. +1 for speaking out about that witch. I stopped watching Women's Tennis because of that hateful wench. So glad she lost.

Sep 11, 2018, 3:49 PM

The caricature cartoon was a howler..and brought out the injured crowd.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 4:04 PM

Kaeperdick and Serena should both be reps for Nike .. oh wait

Sep 11, 2018, 4:13 PM

This chair is different. My understanding is he won't put up with it, and he has penalized men as well. Tennis needs more chairs like him.

Or just let the players play

Sep 11, 2018, 4:48 PM

Tennis is like basketball. The less officials are involved, the better.

Sep 11, 2018, 9:03 PM

What does this have to do with Clemson Football?

I agree with most of your post, but not that she

Sep 11, 2018, 9:31 PM

is self entitled. For me, watching her is like watching Jordan, Gretzky, or Tiger. She lost her cool and totally fell apart. I was both disheartened by her and embarrassed for her. It was a total meltdown.
But no part of me thinks a self made black woman from Compton CA is self-entitled. Johnny Mac used to do that stuff each match. She lost her cool once.

null

Very selfish on her part. I felt bad for the girl that won

Sep 11, 2018, 9:37 PM

Serena took a lot of joy away from the girl that beat her. She made it all about herself. You'd think someone who is at the point Serena is in their career would respect her peers & competition more. Apparently not. Have very little respect for her

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic