Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Kelly familiar with Pistol, says offense will help running game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Kelly familiar with Pistol, says offense will help running game

Apr 5, 2012, 10:34 AM

Kelly familiar with Pistol, says offense will help running game

2012 signee Chad Kelly won't be on campus until late next month but he already has a good Pistol foundation – he’s run it since ninth grade. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IF he doesn't get redshirted (I assume that would mean he's 2ndstr)

Apr 5, 2012, 10:42 AM

That may be why Morris and Clemson is looking to add some more pistol to the offense. If Tahj gets injured for a game or two(likely he'll sit out at least a quarter or two this year[not including times when we send in the 2nd team, talking some small injury]), it might be good to have a formation Chad Kelly feels like he has a firm grasp of.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're installing it to improve our running game

Apr 5, 2012, 1:56 PM

also to give different looks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

We ran it multiple times in the SCAR game this year

Apr 8, 2012, 7:22 PM

And with pretty good results when we did try it.

It's FAST! The exchange is much quicker than the zone or power from the shotgun, and the RB already has forward momentum going.

When we were balanced last year, we were deadly. I hope to see the running game improve from this.

Re: Front Page Story: Kelly familiar with Pistol, says offense will help running game

Apr 5, 2012, 10:56 AM

Just curious as I don't truly understand the Pistol offense.

I don't see Boyd as that great of a runner, so does the Pistol require a team to have a 'running QB'?

i'm not an expert but have read the QB does not have to

Apr 5, 2012, 11:21 AM

be a running QB.

no it doesn't, Bama ran a little pistol with Greg McElroy***

Apr 5, 2012, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Kelly familiar with Pistol, says offense will help running game ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Running downhill?

Apr 5, 2012, 11:05 AM

We fixed the crown years ago!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Running downhill?

Apr 5, 2012, 11:36 AM

It sounds like our coaching staff is exhausting every avenue to improve our offense and score as many points as possible. (and the pistol uses the QB as a running threat a bit more)

That is probably a result of Clemson's defense not being able to stop a running QB last season, and the coaching staff seeing how effective it can be and how hard it is to stop.

Apr 5, 2012, 11:51 AM

yea, it sure sounds like they are taking the "if you can't stop em, outscore em" approach. I like the motion to make things better and more effective, but I would love to see some hard nose defense this year with our potent offense! I feel like things are going to come together quite nicely in the next few years!

Apr 5, 2012, 4:16 PM

From what I'm reading about the backup QB's in Spring Practice, I'm not sure we want the QB running the ball too much...

Apr 8, 2012, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Running downhill? ]

Agreed.

I'm excited about the current coaching staff. I think if the Clemson Football program can build off of last year's success, improve defensively, win and continue to recruit at a very high level... then they can make the Clemson Football program the elite program that many have been hoping for.

Swag***

Apr 5, 2012, 2:49 PM

Re: Front Page Story: Kelly familiar with Pistol, says offense will help running game

Apr 5, 2012, 7:22 PM

So far, I don't ever remember a recruit getting so much "ink" before ever stepping on campus. He obviously has shown he has an opinion & is not shy about sharing it. Of course, if writers keeping coming to him, then that puts him in a position of having to keep answering. I'm afraid he is going to become a very polarizing kid & is going to be treated way differently than his teammates...that often leads to alot of undue pressure. Willy Korn didn't do all the talking, but his 'savior' expectations put him under a spotlight he didn't deserve & it hurt his career here.

Apr 5, 2012, 10:53 PM

In my opinion, Will Korn got more. Of course, that really isn't a good comparison b/c there is so much more "internet ink" out there now than there was just 3 or 4 years ago.

Hopefully, Mr. Kelly will pan out as a QB.

Apr 6, 2012, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Kelly familiar with Pistol, says offense will help running game ]

No, what hurt Willy Korn's career at CU was his injuries! It had absolutely nothing to do with him getting to much press or anything like that. I think Kelly's can do attitude, work ethic and ability to speak up is going to be a great asset! He's getting a lot of ink because he had a hell of a year last year and worked and won his way into the spotlight! As the coaches said, we need someone strong who can compete closely with Tajh to make Tajh better and the person competing with him. Don't be such a dang worry wort!

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic