Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rumor has it, even before last night, Hurts had asked to be
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Rumor has it, even before last night, Hurts had asked to be

Jan 9, 2018, 9:49 PM

moved to another position next season, to have a better shot at pro ball. Is this something Kelly Bryant should be doing, also? Appears doubtful he has much of a shot at being a pro QB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rumor has it, even before last night, Hurts had asked to be

Jan 9, 2018, 9:51 PM

Why don't you ask him?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't have his phone number! Get it for me & I will call him!

Jan 9, 2018, 9:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KB is too Athletic to miss out on the NFL

Jan 9, 2018, 9:53 PM

I want to see him used effectively.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2018, 9:55 PM

Depends on where the rumor came from. I think this is made up, Hurts never said that

the basis of

Jan 9, 2018, 9:56 PM

your argument is built on a solid foundation of rumor, should hold up.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hold on - not if this is an actual rumor.***

Jan 9, 2018, 10:21 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Meh, there is an author that wrote a best selling book

Jan 10, 2018, 12:25 AM [ in reply to the basis of ]

based on just rumors about the president. Rumors are not fact, right?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Where there's smoke there's fire."

Jan 10, 2018, 12:56 AM

Just ignore who's blowing all the smoke.

Or:

The seriousness of the allegations is convicting, just by the nature their seriousness. I'm serious.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: the basis of

Jan 10, 2018, 6:35 AM [ in reply to the basis of ]

Well if it was posted on Twitter by anybody then it’s a fact. Cause Twitter doesn’t know non-factual information to be floating around out there.

Re: the basis of

Jan 10, 2018, 6:36 AM

Allow not know.

Jan 9, 2018, 10:02 PM

Why is everyone so convinced KB is as good as he's going to get?

I don't see that.

The dude is no-kidding talented, he was just raw. He played one year - repeat (1)! - season in high school in a passing offense. At Wren High School. Not exactly the football epicenter of the Universe.

When he got to Clemson he was awful. Deer in the headlights. Next to KB, Tucker Israel looked so casual and polished he basically looked like he was lingering in the pocket smoking a cigarette in comparison.

The next year, as a sophomore, he was not great but much improved. You could see he wasn't quite ready but he was flashing stuff. Still was deservedly behind Schuessler.

Kelly Bryant then made another quantum leap as a junior, started, passed most of the tests, got us to 12-2. If he's capped out, okay, but keep in mind this is a true junior who never had the benefit of a redshirt year and we'd be wildly excited about this guy if we didn't have HJ and TL and he hadn't just followed DW4.

If he's as good as he's going to get, sure, I could see HJ or TL overtaking him. But is KB going to rest on his laurels or is he going to get back to work? Because he's been making big jumps every year and as inexperienced as he was coming into Clemson, no way has he topped out yet.

I don't disagree, but...will he ever be a legit pro prospect

Jan 9, 2018, 10:14 PM

With his athletic ability, he should be, just maybe not at QB.

we don't need a legit pro prospect at QB

Jan 10, 2018, 9:42 AM

we need a legit college prospect, and KB is legit and getting better every year... if he gets beat out by the underclassmen, so be it, but our O-Line has to do its job before any of our QBs can do theirs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree - he could still improve and make another leap

Jan 9, 2018, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Rumor has it, even before last night, Hurts had asked to be ]

forward. Or he may not. I'm sure Hunter Johnson and Chase Brice are improving too, and Trevor Lawrence may now be the most skilled QB on campus. KB did a fantastic job this year, and has improved tremendously since he arrived; it's incredible, really, and he deserves credit. Having said that, I think his limitations, really for the first time all year, were magnified and ultimately hamstrung him against Alabama. KB clearly goes into the spring as #1, but the competition, as always and contrary to popular belief, will be wide open all the way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

that level of offensive line misplay and pass protection

Jan 10, 2018, 9:20 AM

would have made it difficult for DWatson to pull out that win... KB needs to be quicker in his decisions under pressure, but as a first year starter, he did a very good job... Bama shot their whole wad at us and our line failed far too often and the backs missed blocks far too often to help make any QB successful in that game... the dominoes fell in all phases of the offense, that loss is not on KB...

Re: that level of offensive line misplay and pass protection

Jan 10, 2018, 9:27 AM

I'm with KNUCK on this one.

Jan 10, 2018, 9:43 AM [ in reply to that level of offensive line misplay and pass protection ]

I think part of the issue is KB is still learning how to read a defense pre-snap. I didn't see many times this year when he would walk up to the line and change protections like DW would do.

That being said, I have no inside knowledge and these are just observations.

Jan 10, 2018, 10:16 AM

this probably true, but even if you read the defense properly but only 1.5 seconds to set and throw the ball, it better be a flare out to a RB or a quick slant and hope that a LB or S isn't sitting in the gap.

too often, bama's stunts and switches left a gap for an almost free run at the QB, and those free runs happened all across the line; off tackle, a and b gaps and even directly over the center...

Jan 10, 2018, 10:20 AM

I agree, and that could be on the play calling. However, KB could still read those blitzes and adjust based on what he sees. I was underwhelmed with the lack of hot routes that we had, that's the way to beat blitzes. I also didn't see a lot of misdirection and window dressing to slow the defense down at all.

I'm not a "KB fan, apologist, etc.," but I don't think the offensive ineptitude was all him. In my opinion it was on all levels, including the gameplan.

the thing that really caught my attention though

Jan 10, 2018, 10:29 AM

is that bama primarily rushed 4 with a 5th as a spy and the go-ahead to rush if they can get the shot at our QB... similar to a run blitz but more like a delayed blitz to commit the pass pro help to an edge rusher leaving a gap between the guards... but our tackles didn't hold up especially well so even the edge rushers were getting consistent pressure...

Jan 9, 2018, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Rumor has it, even before last night, Hurts had asked to be ]

Like you said, he has had 3 years now on campus to improve. If he hasn't even become atleast a proficient passer in 3 years then he isn't going to become a passing threat before the next season. Any QB at the college level can throw a 40 yard bomb to a wide open receiver. How many times this season did we have a wide open Receiver that KB threw a bad pass on? There were many times that we ended up with 40 yrd gains that should have been a touchdown. This season, KB's season was a success because we were able to evolve the offense into something that worked with his skill set. We had issues with Syracuse when his skill set was limited to being a passer. Syracuse stopped our ability to run and made him have to pass the ball. Alabama went all out to stop the run and made him into a passer only. Both times he was unable to pass the ball effectively. If HJ, CB, or TL aren't ready next year than by all means KB should be our starting QB. If however any of them can get a firm grasp on the playbook and give the team the ability to be 2 dimensional then they should be the starter. Our offense this year and next with KB will be One Dimensional against the better teams we will play.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You aren't seriously using the Syr game against KB, smh

Jan 9, 2018, 11:07 PM

Dude was hurt, could barely run. I'm sure that impacted his ability to throw. He shouldn't have been out there.

You saying KB hasn't improved each year as a QB?

Jan 10, 2018, 12:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Rumor has it, even before last night, Hurts had asked to be ]

He was leaps and bounds better as a Junior than any previous year at Clemson. I trust that it will be an open QB competition going into next fall, but KB has earned our respect for the year he had and progress to date.

I'll never be mad at finishing #4 in the country either.

Jan 10, 2018, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Rumor has it, even before last night, Hurts had asked to be ]

KB started the Syracuse game 9/9 passing, ended 12/17 after he retweaked his ankle. Cuse didn't take away his running, the health of his ankle did.

If you're going to make a point at least have factual evidence to back it up instead of letting your opinion make you sound like an idiot.

Jan 10, 2018, 2:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Rumor has it, even before last night, Hurts had asked to be ]

I have to blame a lot of the receivers’ drops all year and PLAYCALLING in 2017. We obviously made our focus this season to improve the run game. Listen, everyone knows Deshaun nearly did nearly double the passing numbers in 2016 (4593yds) than Kelly did in 2017 (2802yds). BUT, Deshaun did that in 579 attempts. Kelly threw the ball 398 times. Deshaun averaged 7.9 yards per attempt, Kelly averaged 7.0. Deshaun also has more than double the interceptions in his last year that Kelly did this year. Our entire offensive scheme changed this year. The OL blocked like #### the Sugar Bowl. And these backs of ours don’t block like Wayne Gallman, period. We just didn’t have a good plan for Alabama. That’s it. The problem is, our offense is predictable as hell if you have to talent on the field to defend it. It’s hard to spread Alabama out when your QB isn’t getting 2 seconds to throw and isn’t an elite level passer. Kelly couldn’t throw on them, Jalen couldn’t throw on us. I just hope the coaches, next year, learn from Saban’s brazen willingness to ditch quarterback loyalty for what’s best for the team. We didn’t have to lose to Syracuse and certainly wouldn’t have hurt to try “someone else” in that second half of the Sugar Bowl. We lost both of those games because we kept doing the same #### thing and made no adjustments. Saban went into halftime, turned the house upside down and won the game for the team based on faith in his freshman QB because he was the better passer. Period. And it worked.

an equally big problem in the cuse game

Jan 10, 2018, 9:34 AM

along with the offensive ineptness was the defensive ineptness to deal with the tempo cuse was running... cuse scored 27 points... 27!!! 21 were on TD PASSES!! against our #1 defense, they should have scored 10 points no matter what the offense did besides giving them turnovers deep in our territory, and that did not happen. cuse scoring drives were 72, 80, 57, 82 and 68 yards. there was a 66 yard TD pass and the other two TD passes were both longer than 20 yards. the 57 yard drive only got a field goal, but they ran 12 plays in that drive and they ran 16 plays on the drive to kick the winning field goal...

KB starting the game gave the cuse defense a wounded target and they exploited it... KB starting the game did not give the backup enough prep time, especially on a short week... top to bottom, that loss was on the staff... the in game adjustment was not the big issue, the big issue was in the prep during the week leading up to the game...

Jan 10, 2018, 2:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Rumor has it, even before last night, Hurts had asked to be ]

I have to blame a lot of the receivers’ drops all year and PLAYCALLING in 2017. We obviously made our focus this season to improve the run game. Listen, everyone knows Deshaun nearly did nearly double the passing numbers in 2016 (4593yds) than Kelly did in 2017 (2802yds). BUT, Deshaun did that in 579 attempts. Kelly threw the ball 398 times. Deshaun averaged 7.9 yards per attempt, Kelly averaged 7.0. Deshaun also has more than double the interceptions in his last year that Kelly did this year. Our entire offensive scheme changed this year. The OL blocked like #### the Sugar Bowl. And these backs of ours don’t block like Wayne Gallman, period. We just didn’t have a good plan for Alabama. That’s it. The problem is, our offense is predictable as hell if you have to talent on the field to defend it. It’s hard to spread Alabama out when your QB isn’t getting 2 seconds to throw and isn’t an elite level passer. Kelly couldn’t throw on them, Jalen couldn’t throw on us. I just hope the coaches, next year, learn from Saban’s brazen willingness to ditch quarterback loyalty for what’s best for the team. We didn’t have to lose to Syracuse and certainly wouldn’t have hurt to try “someone else” in that second half of the Sugar Bowl. We lost both of those games because we kept doing the same #### thing and made no adjustments. Saban went into halftime, turned the house upside down and won the game for the team based on faith in his freshman QB because he was the better passer. Period. And it worked.

Jan 10, 2018, 3:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Rumor has it, even before last night, Hurts had asked to be ]

Reading all of these Kelly Bryant posts has me feeling like I drank a fifth of tequila, chased it with a glass of gasoline and ate a lit match. Leaving my ears with this incredibly warm sensation.

Visual aids aside, let's dive into this discussion once again.

Kelly Bryant has all the physical tools to become a great QB. He has the arm and the legs. He can make the throws.

Now comes the part that most don't seem to grasp or admit. Kelly Bryant is still a work in progress in the mental portion. The guy still has that deer in the headlights look. He's never lost it. He seems to mentally checkout sometimes. That will only go so far.

It's like sending a telephone guy to fix a power line hanging from the pole. The telephone guy can put on the gaffs and squirrel up the pole because he has the physical ability. Then he gets lit up because he just doesn't have the mental ability to get the job done once he reaches the top.

Bryant is a one read and bolt guy. Then he will run out of bounds and take a 5 or 6 yard loss instead of throwing it away. It's like he swallowed hallucinogens instead of taking a ritalin. The guy can dig a hole for sure.

If Bryant wants to be a Cam Newton clone, then he's on track. Chock full of bad decisions. Far from Watson's sheer will of steel and legendary leadership under the gun.

Yes we would all be ecstatic at 12-2 with Bryant as our guy if Hunter Johnson, Trevor Lawrence and Chase Brice were not on campus. But those guys are pistoleers. Straight up gunslingers. Brass ball ballers.

Some around here can see the future. I can't. I will say this. Bryant better shake the cobwebs out of his head because there are three guys on campus coming for his spot. There is no fairy or pixel dust needed to know that.

Jan 10, 2018, 6:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Rumor has it, even before last night, Hurts had asked to be ]

Don’t see how anyone watching any of his games garners any hope of him ever being a great QB. Slow release, very inaccurate, inconsistent, and not as “athletic” as everyone raves about. He can escape pressure and he’s decently fast in the open field, but his “athleticism” in no way makes up for his lack of ability to play the QB position at a high level.

Hurts should reshirt and switch positions*****

Jan 10, 2018, 5:27 AM

Re: Hurts should reshirt and switch positions*****

Jan 10, 2018, 5:41 AM

KB has one more season to develop into a pro prospect somewhere on the field. I have full confidence the staff can get the other 3 players prepared to start next season. The competition will be good for all involved. Maybe a RS season for KB preparing at another position is not an idea to dismiss immediately.

actually, it should be dismissed immediately because he

Jan 10, 2018, 10:58 AM

has earned the right to get the reps to continue to get better... there were two can't miss O-Linemen that came to Clemson in 2015, but only one is still on campus... tucker isreal (bless his heart and his health) lit up 7A ball in Florida as a prep player as well, but hasn't and probably won't see 25 snaps as a Tiger...

let all of these high school greats prove themselves first before we speculate that a position change is warranted for anybody because we just might find out that we have 1st year starter growing pains all over again

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic