Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rules Expert on "Controversial Calls"
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1
   | View Original Thread |

Rules Expert on "Controversial Calls"

Jan 1, 2020, 8:27 AM

I watched the ESPN telecast last night so I could catch all the commentary. I found the ESPN Rules Official's comments to be interesting.

On the overturned TD pass to Dobbins, his comment was, "...clearly an incomplete pass. This will be overturned." When Fowler asked him if he thought Dobbins had possession when the ball broke the plane of the goal line, his response was that he did not maintain the catch all the way to the ground. My own opinion (which I know doesn't matter) was that he NEVER had possession of the ball. In any event, INCOMPLETE PASS.

On the Targeting call, Herbstreit asked him if he saw it as targeting, and his immediate response was, "...clearly targeting. He made forceable contact with the crown of his helmet to the QB's head in the process of wrapping up the tackle." Fowler followed up with, "...it looked like Lawrence lowered his head..." and the Rules official said, "that doesn't matter." My own opinion, which I know doesn't matter, was that if that was NOT Targeting, then I need an explanation of what is. In any event, clearly TARGETING.

On the Ross incomplete/fumble call, Kirk and Chris both agreed (with each other) that Ross had possession long enough for it to be a catch. They noted that JR8 "took several steps" although neither noted that those "steps" were a result of the defender pushing him backwards (and therefore arresting his forward progress). Then they asked the Rules Official for his judgement. Without missing a beat, he replied, "with all due respect, I disagree with you. That was clearly an incomplete pass, and the call will be reversed." Then the "but, but, buts..." started, during which both Fowler and Herbie argued that the slo-mo "clearly" showed that Ross held the ball long enough for it to be a catch. At that point, Bill (Rules Official) made a very astute point. He said that when trying to determine if the receiver had possession, officials prefer to work with a real-time replay, because slo-mo can be deceptive. His position was that Ross did not have the ball long enough to "make a football move." The ESPN guys questioned him about what constituted a football move, and ultimately, they agreed to disagree. My own opinion was that in real time, I thought the pass was incomplete; looking at the first two slo-mo replays, I thought it was a fumble; looking at the third replay (which was not slowed down as much), I thought it was incomplete. The most revealing replay was real-time, and I don't think anyone could watch that and say anything other than "incomplete pass," especially if you don't know which team is which. Again, I know my opinion doesn't matter... but neither does Kirk's or Chris's!

I think the take away is that the Rules Expert NEVER hesitated on his calls (for any of the three), and his explanations were concise and straight to the point. I give him credit considering he was going up against two guys who were CLEARLY in Ohio State's corner.

My last word on the Fiesta Bowl is that it was one helluva ballgame, probably in the top two or three I've seen in all my years (65+) of watching college football. I think it's a shame that OSU fans can't congratulate their team for a great game and a great season and move on...

Message was edited by: 7173TIGER®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 1
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic