Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ruh-roh, don’t look now, but common sense policies
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 861

Ruh-roh, don’t look now, but common sense policies

Jan 21, 2020, 8:30 AM

Are actually working. Some would even say Mexico is picking up the tab.

https://apnews.com/0360a57afc0bd34cd15dfa28e42dc20f

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guess we're not gonna need that wall.***

Jan 21, 2020, 9:21 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mexico is taking significant actions at...

Jan 21, 2020, 10:43 AM

its southern border too. They are turning away immigrants who do not have permission to enter Mexico for fear of trade issue with US.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s great, definitely a policy I can support.

Jan 21, 2020, 12:50 PM

Would be curious what the average arrests per month is, instead of the 14,000 they reported in the month before the policies took effect. I would imagine that number is higher than average with more people looking to come across the border before the policy got enacted.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ruh-roh, don’t look now, but common sense policies

Jan 21, 2020, 4:29 PM

Sure. I can deal with this.

Forcing the Mexicans to stop acting as coyotes and people-smugglers into America for profit while simultaneously stopping their cops and army guys from bilking, exploiting, and ###### the migrants every inch of the way between Central America and the border? Sure. I like it.

Turning the US into Fortress America by building some completely pointless vanity wall that wouldn't work while throwing billions away in the process? Less enthused.

Mind, it's an entirely different solution than the one he originally proposed, and like all human solutions - especially those involving governments as corrupt as Mexico - it's going to get progressively less effective as time goes on...but for the moment, anyhow, sure.

If implemented correctly, the danger of the policy failing

Jan 21, 2020, 4:33 PM

isn't really as much from the Mexican side as it is from some "progressive" successor eradicating this policy with the stroke of a pen on day one of the next administration.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If implemented correctly, the danger of the policy failing

Jan 21, 2020, 5:29 PM

Obed said:

isn't really as much from the Mexican side as it is from some "progressive" successor eradicating this policy with the stroke of a pen on day one of the next administration.

"Progressive" my tired butt, Obed. Plenty of folks want more immigration on both sides of the spectrum. Trump stole the Tea Party's political football and ran off with it, but the Tea Party was ultiumately underwritten by the Koch Brothers...who were big proponents of increased immigration.

Like a lot of titans of industry, they wanted that cheap pool of labor.

Re: If implemented correctly, the danger of the policy failing

Jan 21, 2020, 5:34 PM

A cheap pool of labor drive unskilled wages down and the steady flow of immigrants keeps it there. My issue is my love of the working poor. For decades I've heard people cry about not being able to find good help. From Labor Economics 301 I learned that the cause of that is the wage offered.

If those dogs of capitalism would offer decent pay, their factories, stores, restaurants and fields would be brimming with more people than they need. Wages must rise above the net income of Social Programs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

did I say "Democrats"?

Jan 21, 2020, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Re: If implemented correctly, the danger of the policy failing ]

Plenty of Republicans and Democrats consider themselves to be more progressive than Trump on this topic. Candidates on the left are jumping over each other to show how radical they can be, and the mainstream right is dying for everyone to love them and think of them as a new and improved version of compassionate conservatism.

Everybody knows that big business (more aligned with the right) wants cheap labor and the left wants votes. That part isn't rocket science.

Great news. Hope the trend continues.***

Jan 21, 2020, 9:25 PM

null

Re: Ruh-roh, don’t look now, but common sense policies

Jan 22, 2020, 6:59 AM

I support Trump's immigration policies completely. I have no problem with the wall as well etc etc. That said, Mexico isn't paying a dime. We are paying Mexico 380 million per year.

Housing all these people will cost a lot more than $380M

Jan 22, 2020, 7:33 AM

Which is why Mexico is starting to tighten up its southern border instead of acting like their country is a turnstile on the way to the US.

Re: Housing all these people will cost a lot more than $380M

Jan 22, 2020, 3:20 PM

Stuff like this is why the Trump admin is so mind-bogglingly (made this word up) stupid. They should brag about this practice instead of hollering about walls and separating families.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Just looking at this thread, support is pretty much

Jan 22, 2020, 5:02 PM

across the spectrum, anecdotal as that may be.

Seems like it'd be a good moment to shine a light on those opposing this in courts in TX and CA. I'd imagine those folks wouldn't win popularity contests in this instance.

Definitely a more common sense approach.

Jan 22, 2020, 8:10 AM

And a humane one.

It's not stupid or ineffective like a border wall, and it's not inhumane like locking up children indefinitely.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Replies: 14
| visibility 861
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic