Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rough Day yesterday... Send a few positive thoughts please.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Rough Day yesterday... Send a few positive thoughts please.

Sep 30, 2017, 11:52 AM

In short, I had to turn my cat over to Animal Control yesterday after it attacked me and my GF.

I rescued him from the side of 75 South, near the Chattahoochee River, June 2015. He was about 4-6 weeks old and his mom mostly likely left him behind (common at that age). He weighed only .6 of a pound, and was near death. For 2 years and 4 months he was most loving, loyal pet. We played games, he knew how to fetch, and showed nothing but love and affection. Every evening, he would be waiting at the door for me to come home. For the next 20-30 minutes he would talk and tell me all about his day.

He's been an indoor cat since I rescued him. Just recently we moved to a house (from a High rise Condo) and we slowly started to let him outside, for the first time, for only 5-10 min at a time. He was tepid, but started asking to go out more over time. He never got scared and always food about coming in. Yesterday, he must have caught the smell of another cat or the dog (from the prior owners) and got frightened. I was distracted on the phone when my GF said he bit her, and I didn't recognize his demeanor.

When I went to pick him up and bring him inside I simply didn't recognize how spooked he was and he latched on to my left hand and wrist and wouldn't let go. I've never bled so much as he tore me to shreds. Once I finally freed myself from him, he came at me, twice, and I had to kick him both times to keep him away.

I was able to get him into a crate a few hours later and he seemed totally fine. However, can't take that risk again as that could happen to my GF or any friends if I had others over.

I've been as attached to him as any animal I ever had. Giving him up was a gut punch as he's been the most loyal loving pet I've ever had. Doesn't help as I'm sure he's scared right now as he's in a foreign place.

I had to go get (5-6) 1/2" length gashed cleaned out (along with 30-40 deep puncture wounds), and a tetanus shot at urgent care. I'lll be on antibiotics for 14 days, and some pain killers as the swelling has compressed all the nerves in the wrist.

If y'all could send a few positive thoughts our way it be much appreciated. Tough time in the TigerCC household right now!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

fencebuster clueless...isolate cat for few.

Sep 30, 2017, 11:58 AM

Days but don't put it down. Watch ears if they are forward you are good

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Message removed by Author

Sep 30, 2017, 12:00 PM

Message removed by Author

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you're one of those "well I have it harder, everyone pity

Sep 30, 2017, 12:40 PM

me" people. I doubt you'll listen but if someone mentions they're having a bad day or going through something never be one of the ######### that brings up how hard you have it and act like it's a pity contest. It's unbelievably annoying and makes you look pathetic.

Yep, he's got a mandatory 10 days

Sep 30, 2017, 3:13 PM [ in reply to fencebuster clueless...isolate cat for few. ]

quarantine at the shelter, and they'll call me if there are any problems.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boy I can sympathize...

Sep 30, 2017, 12:26 PM

A few months ago a cat we've had for seven years climbed a downed tree into the neighbors attic through the hole in the roof. Wouldn't come out inspite of multiple attempts by myself and the roofers to get him. Finally came out onto the roof but wouldn't come down. So I borrowed a twenty foot ladder(it's a two story with a horrible incline in the roof) and almost got him when a neighbor's obnoxious kid started yelling and scared him into clawing me. So my wife brought me kitty treats and I threw on the roof and let them roll closer and closer till I finally caught him. I thought I had the tranquil spot on the neck, but he caught the gutter and almost pulled us both off the ladder. I knew he clawed me "good" on the way down, but I had no idea until a neighbor said, "Oh my God, look at your arm." My wrist was cut through to the bone. I'm old and had a recent tetanus shot, so I just soaked it in peroxide bandaged it and changed the bandage for a few days. I should have done what you did and had stitches because now people look at my right wrist and think I tried suicide because of the scar. You are not alone brother, but I kept the cat, seven years of good behavior makes up for a moment of panic. He is on my lap as I type this. Good Luck my friend!

Re: Boy I can sympathize...

Sep 30, 2017, 3:00 PM

Thats a crazy story, but shows how they can react when out of their element, AND get spooked. Glad to hear you rescued him and got off the ladder without falling.

I didn't get any stitches as they won't stitch cat bites or claw marks b/c of risk of trapping in infection. supposedly, a cat bite is pretty when it comes to bacteria and infection. Actually, a friend of a friend lost part of his finger last summer b/c of cat bite. They cleaned it out 3x at a hospital, but ultimately had to amputate the end of the finger.

I know you don't like them scars, but it's probably for the better.

Thanks and take good care of that cat!

Sep 30, 2017, 3:29 PM

I'm not a cat person & not privy at all to their behavior but I do know how attached we can get to pets. As I read your op I kept waiting for the punchline but it never came. Dude I can't imagine how it feels to be attacked like that by a loved pet. Sounds like you got it worse than your gf though. Thoughts are with you bro. I know this feels like a time of loss in your home

Sep 30, 2017, 3:59 PM

Thanks! Appreciate it.

Yeah, that may be the worst part. I went to grab him last night and take him upstairs before I went to bed. It took 2-3 seconds to remember he wasn't here. Tough moment for sure.

you had me for a moment when you said you borrowed

Sep 30, 2017, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Boy I can sympathize... ]

a twenty...

I was sure you were going to follow that with gauge! ;)

Hope you recover quickly!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2017, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Boy I can sympathize... ]

Walrus,
Just wanted to say part of your guiding words are the reason he's back. I thought long and hard and realized he was only in a heighten state and when went to pick him up he only thought he was being attached. I figured we all deserve 2nd chances, even animals.

I picked him up at Animal Control after 10 days. He had been terrified, they said, the whole time he was there, making it very difficult to feed and clean his cage. After about 3 minutes of talking in front of the cage he recognized me. His ears came forward and he relaxed and came to the front and started meowing loudly. Then, he started reaching for me through the door.

I brought him home, and within seconds he was walking around like always. He was excited to be home and kept talking to us and rubbing against us.

I had already scheduled a visit the next morning for a exam, shots and neuter. However, the Vet called and he had a fever of a 103 (I could tell he was a little sick, b/c he was sneezing and coughing). The combination of a dirty cage and probably no sleep for days caused him to get a upper respiratory infection (same as kennel Cough for dogs).

He got an antibiotic shot and we brought him home. He slept 23 hours a day for 4-5 days. He's slowly starting to feel better and he's acting like his normal self.

One thing is for sure. He's as lovable as always and he's showed no signs of aggression.

Thanks y'all for letting me vent.

Oct 16, 2017, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the update. Glad the little guy is getting a second chance. I had a Maine Coon adopt me a few weeks ago. Didn't want another cat, but this one showed up when we were grilling out and woukdnt leave. He had a flea collar and no balls so evidently was someones cat - but looking super thin. However he was very friendly and non aggressive but looked like an extra from,Pet Semetary.

Anyway - we feed him and he stayed under the deck for a few days. We reported him to Animal Control and posted his pic/stats and their website. After a few weeks we took him in for his shots, etc. He is an indoor cat now and wants no business going outside.

At my feet now.

Dog is kind of pissed but slowly warning up to the new family member.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rough Day yesterday... Send a few positive thoughts please.

Sep 30, 2017, 12:33 PM

definitely not normal, and glad he calmed down because at first I though he had rabies. You concerns are right though, it could happen again when he gets spooked.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2017, 12:41 PM

That is why I have a dog......don't like cats......Go Tigers!!!!!!!!

Sep 30, 2017, 1:55 PM

Wow, that must have been awful. Chances are you'll never know what set the cat off, but it must have really been traumatized. It's always hard to part with a pet, no matter what the circumstances. Sorry you've had to go through that. Hope you heal without too many scars, either on your arms or on your heart.

Note to a couple of other posters, this isn't a situation for Monday morning quarterbacking whether he "had to" surrender the cat. In general if you have to have stitches from an animal attack, the medical facility has to notify Animal Control.

Good luck with the healing. You are right about not

Sep 30, 2017, 3:15 PM

trapping the bacteria

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2017, 3:29 PM

My cat latched on to my hand last year and bit me to the bone.
It was kinda my fault tho because he warned me and I kept messing with him.
He is a temperamental cat but for the most part loving.
That's just the way cats react and they always will ,
When scared or mad.

Message was edited by: Tigs577

Sep 30, 2017, 3:40 PM

Our cats attacked my neighbor and me a few years ago. Sent it to spca and I have not missed it one second. Cats are crazy.

Sep 30, 2017, 3:51 PM

I saw on one of the those animal programs that their's no such thing as a totally tame cat, all of them will always have a little 'wild' in them.

I definitely saw his wild side.

Sep 30, 2017, 4:01 PM

His mouth was wide open after i kicked him back and he just growled at me. He was not having it.

Sep 30, 2017, 4:24 PM

Sorry to hear. Sounds like this could be redirected aggression, which is very common in situations where people move or an indoor cat starts going outside. I understand how difficult it is to give him up. There are a lot of good resources out there on how to deal with it if you feel like you want to give him another chance.

http://www.pet-happy.com/redirected-aggression-when-a-cat-suddenly-attacks-for-no-reason/

Sep 30, 2017, 4:07 PM

Thanks for sharing this article. This makes all the sense in the world and perfectly describes his actions.

Sep 30, 2017, 4:04 PM

That's a difficult situation! I understand the love you have for your cat. I hope you and your girlfriend heal well and I hope your cat will calm down and return to being his loving self. Hopefully you will be able to keep him once he is out of quarantine. You have my prayers and good thoughts. Pets that we love are part of our family, so this is tough!

Sep 30, 2017, 4:18 PM

Hate to be the one but that is one of the reasons to keep pet cats inside regardless of much they want to go out. At any rate hope your wounds heal up (Vit E applied topically usually helps with scarring)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is it male & has it been neutered***

Sep 30, 2017, 5:24 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: is it male & has it been neutered***

Oct 2, 2017, 1:20 AM

Yes, and actually, I have not. thinking i should have. i kept putting it off b/c he was always inside the first 2 years.

Sep 30, 2017, 5:51 PM

I saw something on you tube this morning about a family's cat "going off the deep end" and attacking them. He was diagnosed with feline hyperesthesia and was medicated. Also, has your cat been neutered?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_hyperesthesia_syndrome

Re: +1 for teaching cat to fetch

Sep 30, 2017, 6:13 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic