Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Romney’s Op-Ed is right on target:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 643

Romney’s Op-Ed is right on target:

Jan 3, 2019, 10:27 AM

I wish he were president. I voted for him in 2012 and he would have crushed Hillary. Plus, Trump would have gotten crushed by Obama.

Our country needs a leader like Romney who has 100 times the character of Trump and who is a much more accomplished business man.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/mitt-romney-the-president-shapes-the-public-character-of-the-nation-trumps-character-falls-short/2019/01/01/37a3c8c2-0d1a-11e9-8938-5898adc28fa2_story.html?utm_term=.5719143457a1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with most of what he wrote...

Jan 3, 2019, 10:30 AM

But I question the appropriateness of him writing it, and his motivation. I'm not sure how the op-ed benefits the country. It's easy to write something negative about a person with whom you disagree...it's more difficult and more beneficial to find a way to work with such a person for the benefit of the larger populace.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YOU SIR

Jan 3, 2019, 10:59 AM

are spot on.

Generally speaking, I think you’re right but I’m

Jan 3, 2019, 11:36 AM [ in reply to I agree with most of what he wrote... ]

thinking many have already tried to convince Trump that if he acted with any class as a human being at all, it would go a long way towards uniting the country and increasing his base. I’m sure General Kelly and many before him have tried to do that and it hasn’t worked.

Keep in mind, this isn’t policy criticism from Romney but character criticism. How would you work with Trump to improve his character?

I think tough love and harsh criticism from his party is the best way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's one thing if he's a political analyst/commentator...

Jan 3, 2019, 11:47 AM

Then someone is paying to give his opinion. I believe, now as a colleague of the President, the appropriate course of action for making these kinds of criticisms, would be personally and privately.

The line can probably get fuzzy here, but I don't see anything wrong with responding to something the President does or says, in that moment, to let people know where you stand on a particular issue. However, to just drop a load of criticisms like this, largely unprovoked, is different. It seems gratuitous and has an odor of self-service.

Let me add...

Jan 3, 2019, 11:49 AM

(Because you did address the futility of criticizing him personally and privately)

Is there any chance Mr. Romney believes that dropping this op-ed will be effective in changing the President's behavior? He'd be foolish if he believed that, based on everything we've observed from the President.

So, I ask, what would be the purpose, if not to modify the President's behavior? The answer to that question is the main reason it doesn't sit well with me.

ITS OBVIOUS YOU HATE MORMONS!

Jan 3, 2019, 11:57 AM

;)

Why do you have one bottomless standard for Trump

Jan 3, 2019, 11:52 AM [ in reply to It's one thing if he's a political analyst/commentator... ]

and another for everyone else?

If Trump had any of the traits that you expect others to exhibit, I could understand, slightly. But, he has none of them.

It's laughable the double standard you have while you pretend to be even handed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

??? Have you never read anything I've posted...

Jan 3, 2019, 11:53 AM

I've posted so many criticisms of the President, I have been accused of having "Trump Derangement Syndrome".

Goodness.

Yes, I have.

Jan 3, 2019, 11:54 AM

That is what I am basing my opinion on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know what to tell you.

Jan 3, 2019, 11:59 AM

I've criticized the President's behavior here so many times, to the point where I've wondered if I've gone too far...I'm honestly dumbfounded that you think I excuse his behavior.

Let me be clear...I am personally and profoundly embarrassed nearly every day by something the President does or says. I've stopped posting about it every day, because even I got tired of reading what I was saying. I believe the President should never, EVER, say anything personally negative about anyone, on social media or otherwise. And I've stated such, many, many times here.

I hope this clears things up with where I stand.

Typically I'd agree with you, but...

Jan 3, 2019, 11:47 AM [ in reply to I agree with most of what he wrote... ]

"it's more difficult and more beneficial to find a way to work with such a person for the benefit of the larger populace"

You've heard Trump speak and have read is Twitter feed? Does this line not also apply to Trump? Maybe much more to Trump?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, yes, obviously.

Jan 3, 2019, 11:51 AM

I did not mean, in my post about Mr. Romney, to compare or contrast his behavior to that of the President.

I have posted many more times along these lines about the President than about Mr. Romney, and this post was not an attempt to "excuse" anything the President does.

Not sure how one addresses Trump's behavior if they

Jan 3, 2019, 11:58 AM

are not allowed to address Trump's behavior.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Evidently, you have to pretend he is normal and never say

Jan 3, 2019, 12:03 PM

anything accurately critical to hurt his feelings.

The President is a grown man, not a child.

Jan 3, 2019, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Not sure how one addresses Trump's behavior if they ]

(His behavior to the contrary notwithstanding)

It's not their job to "address" the President's behavior. The people will do that at the ballot box. Mr. Romney's job is the represent the people of the state of Utah in Congress, passing laws to benefit them.

Mr. Romney's op-ed did not, and will not, positively impact the President's behavior (on this I think we can all agree), and as such, only serves to deepen divisions, and was probably intended to set himself up as a foil to the President for future reasons.

What evidence do you have?

Jan 3, 2019, 12:13 PM

It's not their job to address the president's behavior? What BS. It's their job to represent their voters as best they can.

What examples do you have of anyone positively impacting the president's behavior? That ship sailed a long time ago. That SHOULD be obvious by now to everyone.

Romney is trying to save the Republican Party from itself by shining a spotlight on the president's behavior and emboldening others in the Republican Party to stand up for what is right.

Personally, I hope Romney fails at it. I hope his party clings tightly and never lets go.

I think you make good points...I would like to

Jan 3, 2019, 12:21 PM

reply to a couple of things:

I do not have any examples of anyone positively impacting the President's behavior. That was kind of my point...that the op-ed was futile in this area.

I do not particularly concern myself with the fate of the PARTIES. The Democratic Party never had me, obviously. And the tenuous thread that connected me to the Republican Party was severed the day they nominated Mr. Trump.

A healthy two party system with both parties dealing

Jan 3, 2019, 12:37 PM

in factual empirical data and not the alternate universe that the Republican Party now occupies, is what we need.

The op ed wasn't intended to alter the presidents behavior. That's never going to happen. Repeat. The President is never going to alter his behavior. The op ed was intended to alter the GOP's behavior in reaction to the a president who is completely devoid of character, which manifests itself every day in policy decisions. We have to stop pretending that anything about this president is normal. To me, THAT is the real problem that we face.

I disagree, it is absolutely their job to address the

Jan 3, 2019, 12:14 PM [ in reply to The President is a grown man, not a child. ]

President's behavior. Or at least it should be. Otherwise they are complicit.

Quite shocking that anybody would think otherwise.

Jan 3, 2019, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Typically I'd agree with you, but... ]

If ignorance is bliss...

Re: I agree with most of what he wrote...

Jan 4, 2019, 7:45 AM [ in reply to I agree with most of what he wrote... ]

I think him being vocal is a great thing. He still can work with Trump. Sometimes things should not be ignored though.

Re: Romney’s Op-Ed is right on target:

Jan 3, 2019, 11:29 AM

He is too big of a square, the man is completely out of touch with this country.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats dumb. Other squares who have served:

Jan 3, 2019, 11:39 AM

GHWB and Jimmy Carter.

Re: Thats dumb. Other squares who have served:

Jan 3, 2019, 12:31 PM

Let us not forget Mitt used to pay himself a 8 figure salary to pilfer the pensions of working class people. We already have one of those in the white house and it is not going well.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you Pocahontas?***

Jan 3, 2019, 3:01 PM

Jan 3, 2019, 11:32 AM

Who cares how much finger wagging he does if he keeps giving Trump his vote? Comparing him to Jeff Flake is spot on.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What vote? Romney is not in office yet?***

Jan 3, 2019, 11:37 AM

Re: What vote? Romney is not in office yet?***

Jan 3, 2019, 3:40 PM

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1080583344734326784?s=09

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please, NO! No more trickle down bullshittery.

Jan 3, 2019, 11:44 AM

This is the image of Romney that will never go away. This is the guy you want as president? Jeez!

Yes. I prefer realists and I think this was his dinner

Jan 3, 2019, 11:56 AM

with Trump to talk about Sec. of State, or was it Treasury?

No. It was an effort by Trump to humiliate Romney.

Jan 3, 2019, 12:00 PM

Quite successfully, I would add. And Romney fell right into it. Trump had no intention of offering him the job.

Take another look at that picture and Trump's expression.

Lulz. Okay.***

Jan 3, 2019, 12:07 PM

Jan 3, 2019, 11:59 AM

Ran as a republican, will vote with liberals. He's nothing but more political swamp crapp.
But "ooooh he's so presidential!" Hahaha, they're all actors robbing us blind.

Swamp? Compared to Trump? Romney is super clean

Jan 3, 2019, 12:10 PM

and could borrow money from anywhere he wanted.

He doesn’t have to resort to borrowing money from shaky Russian banks with strings attached.

Hopefully, The Trump Failed Experiment doesn't lower the bar

Jan 3, 2019, 12:16 PM

too far on what we expect from a President.

Come on...not even you can believe that***

Jan 3, 2019, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Romney’s Op-Ed is right on target: ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Come on...not even you can believe that***

Jan 3, 2019, 3:42 PM

You know he will believe anything.

Watch and see. He won't disappoint.

Jan 4, 2019, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Come on...not even you can believe that*** ]

His first act, before he's even sworn in as a US Senator was to make a complete fool of himself. He's a washed up failed presidential candidate that won a senate seat on Trumps endorsement, then pulled that shlt? Against his own party??

Replies: 38
| visibility 643
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic