Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rod Hall > Avry Holmes?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Rod Hall > Avry Holmes?

Feb 7, 2016, 10:15 AM

Everybody was projecting how much better we would be at the point guard. Addition by subtraction.

Avry really struggled last night. 25% from the floor. He's just too slow to create openings for others and he can't get to the rim off the dribble. People are calling out Jaron Blossomgame, but it was as much if not more on Avry, from what I watched.

Rod was a much better defender and could attack the basket, score and draw fouls.

Rod's stats - http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56630/rod-hall

Avry Holmes - http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/62043/avry-holmes

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rod Hall > Avry Holmes?

Feb 7, 2016, 10:20 AM

Can we include his San Fran stats in this comparison?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course you can.

Feb 7, 2016, 10:25 AM

If you think it's a valid point, make it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is a well documented phenomena that appreciation ...

Feb 7, 2016, 10:30 AM

For Clemson point guards improves after they graduate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ here's da winner!***

Feb 7, 2016, 10:56 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Feb 7, 2016, 10:48 AM

Let's not cast negative judgment based on one game. Avry also just had 17 against Wake and provided offensive firepower in the second that Rod couldn't have.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rod Hall was terrible. Holmes is an upgrade.*

Feb 7, 2016, 10:51 AM

Nm

How so?***

Feb 7, 2016, 10:58 AM

Holmes can score and is a threat to score.

Feb 7, 2016, 11:19 AM

I wasn't a fan of Hall at all. I would take Holmes any day as my PG over Hall.

They both averaged 9 points per game, but Rod shot a better

Feb 7, 2016, 11:25 AM

percentage. Holmes is more likely to shoot and miss than Rod Hall was. As Coach Brownell pointed out in the postgame last night, Rod was much better at driving the ball into the paint, scoring and getting fouled.

We were told by many, including Coach Brownell, that Rod was not the point guard that Avry would be. The numbers don't support the claim.

Rod Hall was very undervalued and Avry was overvalued by some on this board. Why was that do you think?

I see more potential with Holmes.

Feb 7, 2016, 12:10 PM

There was no upside with Hall. Like I said, I am thrilled with Holmes over Hall. He had a bad game. It happens.

I was higher in Hall than most

Feb 7, 2016, 11:00 AM

He was a boom or bust kinda guy, but he made some big plays and didnt always have a lot of help around him.

I think Holmes is a good pg. He isnt built like Rod so he cant drive or crash the boards as well, but Holmes is scrappy and has a decent shot

Feb 7, 2016, 11:35 AM

I appreciate both of them. Avry didn't have a good game yesterday but has had plenty of good games this year. He has more ability to score than Rid did. Rod was a really good defender and Avry is pretty good too.

Hall was a much better true point guard....

Feb 7, 2016, 12:03 PM

and this team really needs that now.

But Hall also didn't have the more mature JB to feed,

or a year-wiser Grantham and Devoe.

And for some reason we can't seem to find Nnoko in the post consistently

no matter who plays the point.

sm(ph)h

Good points. We just don't seem to work hard enough to get

Feb 7, 2016, 12:13 PM

the ball into Landry Nnoko, no matter who the point guard is. I think it frustrates him sometimes and that becomes a factor in his silly fouls.

Feb 7, 2016, 12:08 PM

From a point guard standpoint Avery is a better player. Reason being, is that he can create dribble penetration and make the players around him better. The PG is the general and Holmes has a better court awareness and feel for the game. He's a thousand times better in the open court and in fast break situations. Hall was essentially the reason for us playing so slowly on offense. Are there things Hall was better at? Absoluetly. But if I pick a PG, I'm taking Holmes all day long.

I disagree. Hall was a better ball handler and was better

Feb 7, 2016, 12:29 PM

at dribble penetration than Holmes. Holmes has to pull up before he gets to the basket because he lacks the strength and leaping ability. Holmes is really not a creater of openings for others any more than Hall. Even with less experienced players around him, Hall averaged 30% more assists per game. Hall was actually the better athlete.

In spite of what you or I may think, it's pretty much a wash. The stats say they produced the same amount of offensive statistics per game with Hall being a better driver of the ball to the hole and Holmes being a slightly better 3 point shooter and Hall was the better defender.

I would take Hall for his defensive ability and toughness under pressure, but I would encourage him to shoot more.

Holmes is overall, better

Feb 7, 2016, 3:03 PM

At least he is not afraid to shoot ... when Holmes is on, its on ! He was "off" last night, but so was JB ... also the Foul Shot aka Free throw gremlin was back ... IF we kept to the season average of making foul shots, even with the poor overall shooting, we sould have won ... woulda', couulda, shoulda ... it doesn't matter ... from not on they just have to win ... at least 6 out of the next 7 ... hard ? yes, impossible ?, no

IF they don't win as above, then they have to VERY< VERY well in the ACC Tournamnet .. which they showed that is a distinct possibility ....

Motivational Speaker time ...

https://vimeo.com/37818251

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there are reasons we are better offensively....

Feb 7, 2016, 3:18 PM

and Avery is one of them... It's not that he does certain things better than Rod... It's that his overall offensive game is better

Feb 7, 2016, 4:30 PM

I don't think you can compare Rod Hall's senior stats to Avry's stats right now. Rod had been in the system for four years, Avry is still learning everything. From watching, it seems like Avry is more of a vocal leader than Rod was. Not to mention Avry has us positioned for a run at the NCAA tournament. Something Rod never did.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic