Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The most important month?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

The most important month?

Nov 1, 2016, 10:23 AM

I think a fast start is critical this year, even with so many pieces to bring together.

Does this make November the most important month for basketball?

I know, they are all important...

But slow starts have killed Brownells post season bids.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The most important month?

Nov 1, 2016, 10:29 AM

The Tigers absolutely must do well in the non conference games this season. Something that they have not done recently.The Davidson game early will tell us a lot about what we have. I think there is more talent on this team than what we have had in recent years. It will be fun to see what BB can do with it.

Nov 1, 2016, 11:13 AM

November for sure. Sets the tone. Confidence booster or killer.

Nov 1, 2016, 12:41 PM

Agreed, mainly because our OOC strength of schedule is very weak this year in my opinion. Our big games (non-cupcake teams) are Georgia, Nebraska, Bama, and USC, plus the Tire Pros Tournament.

Nebraska really isn't going to be a great win, but could be detrimental to lose as they are picked to be dead last in the Big 10 this year, behind Rutgers even.

USC may not even have a team by the time we play them this year, so the Georgia and Bama games are must wins, especially Georgia opening the year.

The Tire Pros tournament could go either way, win against Davidson and you have a shot at Xavier more than likely, and possibly a very good Oklahoma team after that. Lose to Davidson though, and we could end up with a Missouri/Tulane type of matchup.

Including the three tournament games along with Georgia, Nebraska, Bama, and USC I really would like to see 5-2, 6-1 would be fantastic. If we go 4-3, it will depend on who we lost to, and anything worse than that would be another killer for our ACC run.

We will know much more come next Friday, Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2016, 8:41 AM

> Agreed, mainly because our OOC strength of schedule
> is very weak this year in my opinion. Our big games
> (non-cupcake teams) are Georgia, Nebraska, Bama, and
> USC, plus the Tire Pros Tournament.

I disagree on the strength of the schedule. I mean, we're looking at the possibility of playing a Top 10 team in the non conference, which hasn't happened since we played Arizona at home. Also probably have to go through an NCAA Tournament team to get to them.

With UGA, Davidson, Xavier, UNC Wilmington, Oklahoma if we play them, and possibly Mercer, there's a real possibility we play 6 NCAA tournament teams in our non-conference.

And that's leaving out high major games against @SC, @Bama, and Nebraska. They'll all have solid RPI's because of playing in a high major conference.

Regardless, it is imperative to have a better non-conference performance. UGA game is huge.

Nov 2, 2016, 9:47 AM

I guess the issue for me with the OOC schedule is surrounding the Davidson game; it is all hinging on us beating them to get to good matchups with Xavier/Oklahoma. Georgia and Bama are huge games, but Nebraska and USC will not be high RPI teams IMO, especially not Nebraska.

I don’t like to count on teams like UNC Wilmington and Mercer for good wins, so it makes the UGA, Bama, and Tire Pros tournament imperative. The opener coming up next Friday will tell us much more about this team and what we can expect for the season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2016, 10:02 AM

I agree completely, the Davidson game is so important. If you lose, not only do you miss a chance at a quality win, but you're probably stuck playing scrubs the rest of the tournament. If you win, it's a quality win and you get to play much better teams (Xavier, OK, etc.).

Robertin is going to need to play some quality minutes

Nov 2, 2016, 9:43 AM

Hopefully he can hold his own on the defensive end and supply ~10 minutes/game. Teams are going to attack us down low and try to draw fouls with how little depth we'll have before Thomas is eligible. I'm not sure Djitte can stay out of foul trouble enough to play 30 minutes if that is the other team's strategy.

Re: Robertin is going to need to play some quality minutes

Nov 2, 2016, 9:51 AM

With all of the length we will have at the 3-4 positions with Grantham and Blossomgame, plus some tall guards, I would not be shocked to see some early season 2-3 zone to overcome this size deficiency down low. This would be a smaller lineup with 3 guards, I think it would work well especially with Blossomgame's leaping abilities. We played it occasionally last year and it worked well, and may be required with Sidy’s foul issues.

Message was edited by: aclemfan48®

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic