Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who is the best athlete you knew
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

Who is the best athlete you knew

Jun 11, 2018, 6:07 PM

growing up ? Someone who was just way better than everyone else . It doesn't have to be someone who became famous or even went to college .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who is the best athlete you knew

Jun 11, 2018, 6:08 PM

FREDDIE SOLOMON

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2018, 6:17 PM

Yep . Supposedly Dwight Clark's playoff catch was called for Solomon , but he slipped down on his route .

Jun 11, 2018, 6:30 PM

Bill Wingo hands down. Was great at every sport he played, and in high school, played football, baseball, basketball and ran track.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember Bill Wingo playing db at

Jun 11, 2018, 7:15 PM

Clemson . He was able to stick like glue .

Hard to answer growing up in Tigertown . . but

Jun 11, 2018, 6:34 PM

it probably had to be Pete Maravich hands down with Clyde Mays a close second. This takes into account eliminating all the Clemson athletics that I grew up with or went to college at the same time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hard to answer growing up in Tigertown . . but

Jun 11, 2018, 6:37 PM

if I had to pick a Clemson athletic it had to be Banks McFadden. He and his family lived six houses down the street, of course he was coaching at the time.

Perry Watson, died in a car accident in 1978. Reached

Jun 11, 2018, 6:40 PM

the finals of Punt, Pass, and Kick and was on TV during NFL game in SF. Shot 45 on 9 the first time he played on a real course when he was around 12. Led Thurmond HS to state championship in 1975 (I think), the first year they had a team.

RIP, Perry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Strom Thurmond HS existed way before the mid-70's.

Jun 12, 2018, 2:34 PM

We played them in the mid-60's. I think it opened around 1960.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mid 70s is the first year they had a golf team, I think.

Jun 12, 2018, 4:29 PM

You didn't play them in golf, did you? Where did you go to HS?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2018, 6:44 PM

Grew up with a kid who ended up playing WR for Notre Dame and he did a number on us at home in 2015, ended up fumbling near the end of the game when he got hit from behind he was #2 at ND Chris Brown.

Norm Snead - former Redskins & Eagles QB

Jun 11, 2018, 6:48 PM

Lived next door to my grandfather in Yorktown, VA back in late 60's / early 70's. Of course I was a young kid and did not know him well - that said, I was able to play catch with Snead, Sonny Jurgensen, Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr. Not bad for a 10 year old.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2018, 6:51 PM

Jadeveon Clowney sadly, went to my high school and just dominated everything he did

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2018, 11:46 AM

Except spelling tests.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

He didn't attempt those...

Jun 12, 2018, 12:29 PM

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From what I've read today, I'm gonna go with

Jun 11, 2018, 6:57 PM

Tigerbalm1

Re: From what I've read today, I'm gonna go with

Jun 11, 2018, 11:12 PM

You're correct. No brainer

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stanley Morgan.

Jun 11, 2018, 6:58 PM

During the summer he'd come home and we spent some time on the BB courts. He was truly a gentleman and his mother was certainly a lady. They were kind and considerate of everyone. Precious comes to mind though on the court he was a monster.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jeff Burris was a few years older than I in HS. Freak athlete.

Jun 11, 2018, 7:08 PM

As an adult I lived next to Gaines Adams who was pretty good. Also had the pleasure of knowing Billy Wingo.

Tigerbalm1******

Jun 11, 2018, 7:22 PM

Jun 11, 2018, 7:27 PM

Played football in highschool with Duece Staley. He was one year ahead of me. He was an incredible athlete. Was always the best player on field in highschool.

He was equally as good in basketball but gave it up his senior year to focus solely on football.

Kenny Duckett

Smart guy that could play any sport... WR at WFU and then played for the Saints and Cowboys.

Re: Kenny Duckett

Jun 11, 2018, 8:24 PM

He won the Brian Piccolo Award while at Wake . He died way too young.

Kenny Duckett

Smart guy that could play any sport... WR at WFU and then played for the Saints and Cowboys.

I did not know Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson

Jun 11, 2018, 7:47 PM

Both Sanders and Jackson get my votes as perhaps the best athletes I ever saw play.

Sanders played in the NFL for 14 years and made the NFL Hall of Fame the first year he was eligible.
Sanders played in MLB for 9 years and I think he might be the only guy to play in the World Series and the Super Bowl. For a long time, I thought he was the fastest player I ever saw play in Death Valley. It was a long time ago, but man he took that punt back against us in Death Valley like a bolt of lightning.

Bo Jackson played in the NFL All Pro game and the MLB All Star game. He was a great at both sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I did not know Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson

Jun 11, 2018, 8:42 PM

I've got several of those Bo Knows Baseball,/football trading cards. He was an incredible athlete.

Jun 11, 2018, 8:09 PM

The ones that I played against:

Jim Rice
Stanley Morgan
Bennie Cunningham

Jun 11, 2018, 8:13 PM

It was Tony Rice QB Woodruff and Notre Dame, he could throw a football a mile, run like the wind and was competitive enough to beat you at any sport.

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Steve Fuller...

Jun 11, 2018, 8:23 PM

...ran against him in High School in the 440 yd dash Upper State Finals track meet in late Spring '75...was held at Dorman HS if I remember correctly. He didn't smoke me but he beat me handily.

Re: Who is the best athlete you knew***

Jun 11, 2018, 8:23 PM

Jun 11, 2018, 8:32 PM

Trey Elder '01-02 - Byrnes
Armanti Edwards '05- Greenwood High
Casey Stone '95 - Abbeville High

Stone played baseball at Clemson. He was a stud!

Jun 11, 2018, 8:34 PM

Terrence Flagler. The backstory is way too extensive to get in to. Long story short, I spent many hours driving back and forth from Fernandina Beach, Fl to South Carolina with his parents in their stretch Cadillac on our way to Clemson games. The most notable memory is Terrence's father, the Reverend Flagler, telling a Shoney's waitress that I was his grandson. Mind you, I was a little 10 year old white boy. You should have seen that waitresses face. Good times and good people that I will never forget. I miss them dearly.

Brad Johnson - FSU, Vikings, Redskins, Bucs

Jun 11, 2018, 8:44 PM

We were at Owen (Swannanoa, NC) High School together (class of '87).
Brad worked hard at EVERYTHING.
He was an excellent basketball player.
He went to FSU on a football scholarship and played basketball there as well.
He won the superbowl as QB @ Tampa Bay.
Not only a great athlete, but a great guy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

D-i-c-k Dietz.

Jun 11, 2018, 9:01 PM

He was a cousin by marriage. He was the first sophomore to make All-State in football in the state of South Carolina. He made his mark in baseball, however. Recruited to play football at Alabama, he instead signed a contract to play baseball with the San Francisco Giants on the night of his high school graduation. He spent most of his career as a catcher for the Giants, and hit a home run in the all-star game in 1970. When I was a kid in 1967, he sent me a baseball autographed by all of the Giants, including Hall-Of Famers Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, and Juan Marachal. I still have that baseball.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: D-i-c-k Dietz.

Jun 11, 2018, 10:42 PM

His mom played the organ and directed choir at my mom's church. Except when the Giants were in Atlanta

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2018, 10:01 PM

Jimmy Toney in the fifth grade. He turned sixteen and dropped out and went to work in the mill. He was twice our size but he was fast and could cream a softball. Kept his hair combed back with Vitalis. Bet the lent really stuck to it?

Mike Anderson

Jun 11, 2018, 10:42 PM

I played high school basketball and baseball with him. He played in the shrine bowl while making all state in football, basketball and baseball. He was the 3rd person drafted in the 1968 baseball draft.

Shaq (O'Neal)

Jun 11, 2018, 10:52 PM

He went to my high school and my brother was the manager of the basketball team. It is a stretch to say I knew him more like met him (I was already at Clemson) but did meet him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ol' Bill Brasky

Jun 11, 2018, 11:05 PM

You guys have to remember Bill Brasky!

He was 6'5" 275lbs and could run a 4.33 40yd dash. He used to hit homeruns one-handed!

Good Ol' Bill Brasky!

Re: Ol' Bill Brasky

Jun 11, 2018, 11:47 PM

Bill Brasky is a S O B

Jun 12, 2018, 12:24 AM

Played baseball growing up with Jason Place. Dude could hit a ball a country mile. He was drafted in the first round out of Wren High by the Red Sox in 2006, but never made it to the big show. He lived a few streets over and would hit 150 balls off the tee every night since he was about 10. You would also see his dad riding being him on a gator while he ran the big hill close to my house. I struck him out a few times too. Haha

Jun 12, 2018, 5:22 AM

Bill Harrington.

Jun 12, 2018, 7:30 AM

A lot of great athletes have been named so far. I would like to point out one who hailed from a small town in the upper low-country. John Riley Steedly from Bamberg, SC. John was the first athlete to be awarded a full four year scholarship in track and field at Clemson in the mid fifties. I was about ten years old when he graduated high school. I will always remember his strength, coordination, and control. One arm push ups are difficult, but doing a one arm push up while doing a hand stand was amazing.

Jun 12, 2018, 7:27 AM

Football- Deangelo Tolbert played running back at Emerald High. grades screwed him up going to college to play. He was a studddd. I might be a little biased towards him because he is my cousin.

Baseball- Scott Wingo- Short Stop and Mauldin high and 2nd base and USUCK... Ive never played with an infielder as smooth as him. He was SICKKK with the glove

Basketball- Yavario Smith went to a small school at Dixie high but if you knew basketball and played with him or against him, you knew how great he was...He could do an easy 30 points on anyone. He is playing overseas right now. Grades of course messed up his shot at going D1.

^^^^^^ All these are great , but I personally jumped

Jun 12, 2018, 7:33 AM

over a 7 foot high hedge row wearing combat boots and carrying an M-16. ( Actually, ALMOST jumped over it) - I tripped over the top branches and went sprawling directly into a foxhole. Guys who witnessed that feat thought I had been blown across by the explosion that followed my leap.

Jun 12, 2018, 8:09 AM

The best had to be, can’t remember his name, a guy I played softball with years ago. He could chew tobacco, eat a hotdog and drink a beer all at the same time. That’s an All-American in my book.

Todd Schonhar

Jun 12, 2018, 8:50 AM

played Football, basketball, baseball and was an incredibly good golfer.

Jun 12, 2018, 8:58 AM

Ricky Sapp. If not for the knee, I'm certain he'd be a Hall of Fame type of player.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Richard Ramey

Jun 12, 2018, 9:41 AM

Outstanding naturally gifted football and basketball player who was recruited by most of the major programs throughout the southeast.

He attended a JuCo (Dixie Junior College in Utah) before ending-up at Central Washington University.

Sadly, a penchant for Mary Jane, a poor work ethic, and a messed-up attitude proved to be his downfall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jun 12, 2018, 9:47 AM

I grew up with a kid that in high school was All-State in soccer, wrestling, and track. You would never know it by looking at him.

Jun 12, 2018, 11:43 AM

Don Latimer. Played TE and DE on state hs Champion team. Went on to the U in Miami (his brother was already there as a WR), and then played DL for several years for the Broncos. He could chase down QB sweep away from him at DE and Still get the QB before he could cross the line of scrimmage.

Eddie Edwards also played on that HS team. He was starting OL for Bengals in the Super Bowl when they lost to the 49ers.

Richard Weiters

Jun 12, 2018, 1:09 PM

Went to St. Andrew's High School in Charleston. He played baseball, football and basketball...and straight A student, to boot. It seemed like it was all so easy for him. Nicest guy you'd ever meet...never saw him get angry, not the least bit cocky...just did what he did. Played football and baseball for The Citadel...before sticking with baseball...played for Chal Port (along with his son, Billy). Richard was drafted by the Chicago White Sox. His son is Matt Weiters, of GaTech and Baltimore/Washington fame.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2018, 1:36 PM

Kevin Garnett

I didn't really know him, but i met Drew Meyer and played

Jun 12, 2018, 1:57 PM

a couple of all-star games against him when i was 11 and 12 playing Dixie Youth. He was just one of those kids that you could immediately tell was going to be really darn good. The first time i ever saw him hit his dad brought him and his younger brother out to our field for BP because we were hosting the all-star game that year. He was ripping everything over the wall that was 50-60 feet behind the regular dixie youth / little league fence. We then played them in the first game of the all-star tournament and he turned on the very first pitch (kid we had pitching threw about 65) and hit it over the same wall.

Jun 12, 2018, 1:58 PM

Stan Rome

A lot of you probably don't even remember the legend that is

Jun 12, 2018, 3:23 PM

Parnell Burnside, but it's a fact that the US Olympic Committee was originally planning to send him to compete in every event in both the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver and the 2012 Summer Olympics in London as a one man team. If he not suffered an untimely ingrown nostril hair that became infected, I think his performance would have rendered this discussion moot.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2018, 4:38 PM

2 I played against in HS...

Dee Feaster - RB Northwestern: never had to tackle him as I played offensive Tackle but I watched in amazement at what this guy could do with a football in his hands.

Anthony Simmons- LB Spartan High: Our Sr year, we exchanged some good hits on each other. That was the fastest player I have ever gone up against.

Robert Porcher and Travis Williams , at SC State, my dorm neighbors

Jun 12, 2018, 8:15 PM

Porcher was 6'5" 265, could dunk, do 3 one arm pull ups, bench over 400 and was a hell of a good guy. Travis was a 1-AA All-American small forward who held his own against Duke in the NCAA Tourney in 1989. Porcher played 14 yrs. for the Lions and Travis played several years with the Hornets. They lived next to me for two years in Bethea Hall and were spades partners of mine, good students, and good dudes. I used to borrow Travis's trench coat to put on girls who I snuck in the dorm, LOL. Freakish athletes. Trav was 6'8" with a 38 inch vertical. Intermural ping pong tounaments with those two hosses were insane.

Jun 16, 2018, 6:02 PM

George Webster...Anderson Eastside i think. Back when Blacks were "over there"... He went to Michigan State and was a MONSTER.. Played for Duffy Daugherty...was on the famous MSU/ND 10-10 tie for NC in 1966...The further disgrace of the NFL was him losing use of part of his hands and legs and being denied benefits from the NFL because "they were not severe enough"... And now you know why there is an NFLPA...

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic