Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rivals subscribers...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Rivals subscribers...

Aug 23, 2015, 7:03 PM

Over the past several months, I've been as excited as ever for the prospects of the upcoming football season. At times, I've had to remind myself to pump the breaks a little bit and not get my hopes up too high so early. I consider myself to be the perpetual optimist, and I fully expect Clemson to win every game we play (as always) until the clock runs out and the scoreboard shows otherwise. Well, Rivals has done a pretty good job of bringing me back down to reality over the last week. Some articles lately have highlighted concerns including...

0 proven options behind the 2 starters at LB (Boulware/Goodson)

A dropoff in talent and experience in said LB spots from last season

0 proven options behind 1 proven starter at DE

1 OT with game experience, who was benched last year

Inconsistencies at TE

A major dropoff from #1 QB to #2 QB.

MAJOR special teams concerns, including (but not limited to) kicking, kickoffs, and coverage

Now, I understand that teams will always face concerns with new starters/unproven players at the start of every season (see 2011). But as I have read and processed these concerns, I have started to feel a sense of disappointment even before the season has started.

This doesn't sit well with me.

Maybe my excitement for Clemson football has gotten to the point where I latch on to everything I read during the offseason. Maybe I should just ignore all the DT noise and take it one game at a time.

My hopes are still high for the season. I'm thnking a 10-2, maybe 11-1 regular season if the ball bounces our way when we really need it.

In summary, Im just ready for some football ######! Spot the ball!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

10 win season would be disappointing***

Aug 23, 2015, 7:09 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: 10 win season would be disappointing***

Aug 23, 2015, 7:16 PM

IMO it is hard to say 10 wins is a disappointment without knowing the details. For example, losing to ND and FSU where they both win 11+ games is much different than losing to the coots and NCSU where they both have average seasons. Did we lose with DW4 at QB or Bryant? Not apples to apples.

One other thought...Dabo has really changed the expectations when we are scoffing at a double digit win season.

Losing to those two would be extremely disappointing as

Aug 23, 2015, 9:23 PM

they are both home games.

Don't be Emo

Aug 23, 2015, 7:48 PM [ in reply to 10 win season would be disappointing*** ]

A ten win year is still great. We have a super young team and while I hope for an ACC championship this year, I won't be "disappointed" with a ten win season.

Disappointing will be the 5-7 coot season... I'm excited to witness that wreckage

I agree TW!

Aug 23, 2015, 9:06 PM [ in reply to 10 win season would be disappointing*** ]

10 win disappointing, yet I think it is only realistic to expect at least one loss....

Usually I'm not realistic though!

one game at a time . . .

Aug 23, 2015, 7:19 PM

sweet Jesus.

Look at the bright side though....

Aug 23, 2015, 7:30 PM

We're not going to play a team with a better QB and that's a huge advantage in itself. Deshaun protects the ball and even as a freshman he limited turnovers.

The secondary offers the height to control those over the top throws and jump balls. Plus, you've got a shutdown corner in Alexander. Much like last year, you won't see somebody just lob the ball all over the place.

Speed kills. The Tiger offense is loaded with it this year as well. Expect guys like Cain and McCloud to make a pretty serious contribution this year for several reasons: 1)If opposing defenses try to put the clamps on Mike Williams, then they're just a check down away 2)Coaches Elliott and Scott showed us in the bowl game they like misdirection plays with guys flying all over the field 3)There is no college film of them yet nor how we will use them 4)If a defense does attempt to key on them, you've got Artavis, Germone, Charone, and a host of TEs looking for the ball.

We got this.

True, good points!***

Aug 23, 2015, 9:07 PM

Re: Rivals subscribers...

Aug 23, 2015, 8:01 PM

How often do you think Ard, Strelow and Williams takes baths together?

LOL, ask bob, he may know***

Aug 23, 2015, 9:07 PM

Aug 23, 2015, 8:08 PM

Rivals is pretty accurate on most of those articles. However, we should still win all of our games and be playing for the NC.

a perfect season doesn't consist (long, and pretty awesome)

Aug 23, 2015, 8:11 PM

Of perfect games played by perfect players or coaches. It consists of somehow, someway winning every game.

Case in point...'81 championship team. I've been delving back deep into tiggerray archives to try to satisfy my TD appetite...and wow, the '81 dream team had some real issues. Think about these facts, which are not comprehensive just samples:

Tied with Wofford 3-3 after 1st quarter

Losing 5-0 to Tulane after 1st quarter
long snapper shot the ball into the endzone
Went on to win by an amazing 13-5 margin

UGA
Scored 13 total points after creating 9 turnovers
Long snapper almost sent one over Hatchers head vs UGA...heck of one handed spear by the punter.
Missed field goal from the 15 yard line

Halftime score at Kentucky ...losing 3-0

Beating UNC 10-8...gave up blocked punt for safety

Only beating NCSU 17-7

I want to remember every game being 82 points vs Wake..but it wasn't. It was down right ugly at times, but that team found a way.

Will there be ugly times this year due to special teams..yep? Lack of O line and D depth...yep. But this team can find a way!

And, the '81 team got better through the the season. The questions of depth shouldn't be a problem in January.

Here's to finding a way!

+1!***

Aug 23, 2015, 9:08 PM

Nice

Aug 24, 2015, 8:05 AM [ in reply to a perfect season doesn't consist (long, and pretty awesome) ]

Those were the cardiac kids. Part of the magic of that season was sitting on the edge of your seat the whole time in those close games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

It Will Take A Monumental Effort

Aug 23, 2015, 9:24 PM

to outscore the Tigers. who on the schedule can do that?? maybe one team? and which team? not gonna sweat it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

You've got to focus '13!

Aug 23, 2015, 9:28 PM

One game at a time. Don't take your eye off of the task at hand... that's Wofford! That's all we need you to focus on right now... Win our opener. Don't blow this for us man. You're better than this!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are right!

Aug 23, 2015, 9:52 PM

FOCUS!

I agree with your recap, 10 games and I'm happy.

Aug 23, 2015, 9:29 PM

However,

0 proven options behind the 2 starters at LB (Boulware/Goodson)

Solution: Venables' LBs who have been with him here three years.

A dropoff in talent and experience in said LB spots from last season

Solution: BV again. We have guys now who have been with BV longer than their predecessors.

0 proven options behind 1 proven starter at DE

Solution: We have a few good RS Soph and Jr on the team.

1 OT with game experience, who was benched last year

Possible Solutions: DW's composure and ability to dump the ball to one of our speed demons quickly on the check down pass. He just doesn't like the type of guy I'd send all the troops after much.

Inconsistencies at TE

No known solution here. That's been my concern throughout last season and I've gotten no relief yet.

A major dropoff from #1 QB to #2 QB.

Everybody faces that.

MAJOR special teams concerns, including (but not limited to) kicking, kickoffs, and coverage

We've recruiting speed for a couple of years now. I know you've noticed how much better we got on coverage two years ago. We served field position to LSU like it was free. Nobody has consistently returned the ball on us. I'll admit part of that was kicking. However, I understand we will try the soccer type kick with the kicker taking a couple of steps outside the box. That's how many of the teams we've faced ruined our return game. The ball couldn't be fielded and always took a forward roll.

I know I'm probably not the most objective person about Clemson and I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable either, but that's how I see it all going this season. Remember, I'm not calling for an undefeated season or a playoff seed. We will be respected at the end of this, another 10 plus win season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2015, 9:48 PM

Things actually WERE looking great until:

1. Wiggins was lost for the year (depth took a hit although we have a former all-american who was set to start there either way).

1a. Kendall Joseph (who coach V can trust as a stater) had minor knee surgery.

2. Korie Rogers gave up football

3. Guy who was supposed to relieve much of the blow from losing ebo (Ferrell) broke a bone in his hand & now may red-shirt.

4. Mark fields broke a bone in his hand.

5. Hearn limped off the field. Not sure the extent of his injury.

But....

1. Don't worry about TE. Garrett Williams is the real deal. Shocked he was good enough to avoid a RS with all our depth there, but word is that he's about as physical as Chad Diehl and can run routes and catch balls like Jaron Brown.

2. Mitch Hyatt is the highest rated OL we've signed in over 30 years, and he's lived up to his potential.

3. Skill positions are stacked.

4. Kelly has vastly improved since the start of camp and will avoid a RS because at this rate of progress he'll be able to get plugged into big games and win games with his feet, a run game, and a couple of big throws.

5. Kearse can play up at the line of scrimmage in dime packages and his speed, length and physicality will be more difficult for RBs to get past than whoever our Sam is on the field.

6. When in said package, Kearse can still cover in passing situations (like a blanket) and we won't see much of a dropoff with Jadar and Green as our last line of defense in said situations, fronted by Mack, Blanks, Kearse and Tank to help vs the pass and stopping the runs attacking the edge.

7. Yeargin's ready. And so is Bryant. As well as Wilkins, Reader, Watkins and Shaq. Sure we'll miss some of the speed we had at Mike and Will, but like I said, Dime packages featuring kearse and blanks as "DBs" to outsiders, should be thought of by us insiders as 2 extra LBs with the speed to take some of the weight off off Goodson and Boulware's shoulders.

Follow any program as long as I have, and you learn to

Aug 24, 2015, 5:50 AM

temper expectations.

It's OK to be moderately confident; it's foolhardy to give in to hype, especially when the hoopla is originating among your fellow fans.

We have every reason to look forward to this season, but I prefer the age-old prudence of taking one-game-at-a-time and being thankful for each victory.

That being said, GO TIGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Follow any program as long as I have, and you learn to

Aug 24, 2015, 7:56 AM

As usual when reading your posts Hartins, I completely agree! I must admit though, I've fallen victim to the hype....it's exciting.

Aug 24, 2015, 7:48 AM

I think one thing that seems to be overlooked is that ALL the teams we play have similar issues that they must work thru. There are teams that face opponents in less than 2 weeks that haven't even decided on a QB yet. That means that they have 3-4 QB's taking reps with the 1's instead of 1-2. THAT is probably a bigger problem than any that we have.

A really good thing this year is that we have 2 "warm-up" games IMO. Some teams have to face tough opponents that can easily upset them early and possibly knock them out of any NC hopes early.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic