Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rivals Dirtpecker Ranking
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Rivals Dirtpecker Ranking

Jul 14, 2013, 2:07 AM

All the way up to #30 , the Coot Nation gaining momentum for a wild and wacky finish in recruiting .
Lets be honest , all the recent "success" on the field , inclusion into the SEC upper echelon (??) , avoiding NCAA punishment of any merit , hanging on to an aging HOF college coach has all amounted to mediocre recruiting and nothing to show for it in the trophy case.
Have the beaked-wonders climaxed ? Have they seen the top of the mountain and now can expect to descend back into cfb anonymity? After the last couple of exceptional seasons are they done ?
30th ? they are next to last in Rivals rankings among the other SEC East teams , save for Mizzou. Kenturkey and the Nashville Medical College are having better years in recruiting . Shouldnt the 4 time defending Palmetto Bowl champs expect more than low 3's an occasional 4 star kid to want to play for a team and school who has "changed the culture" of its past failures ? I am just not certain

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Spurrier is a couple of years from being Joe Paternoesque.

Jul 14, 2013, 6:06 AM

He'll be Head Coach in name only. The staff will do everything. Duing games he will be put up in the booth at Williams-Brice mumbling about a game from 1965 and call any woman "momma".

He's already starting to slip and the (sharp) recruits can see it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Am I the only one who has always thought Spurrier acts a bit

Jul 14, 2013, 10:27 AM

creepy?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree.

Jul 14, 2013, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Spurrier is a couple of years from being Joe Paternoesque. ]

Spur hasn't really ever had a phenomenal recruiting class outside of landing Clowney.

I think quite the opposite. He is a hands-on coach and he (and his staffs) have done a good job of coaching up what he's brought on campus.

I mean, they are a rival - I get it. I have been hearing this crap about calling Spur a lazy coach since he got there. Not landing top five recruiting classes and after seeing what they have done on the field, call the man anything but lazy.

They do look vulnerable this year. I like who they have at QB and the DL but overall we have more talent. I still worry that Spur will out-coach us..again.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rivals Dirtpecker Ranking

Jul 14, 2013, 6:22 AM

Lol.. good post.. Lets hope so..

However, they will finish better than 30 overall.. There are still a few names out there that are heavy USC leans that are ranked fairly high.. Donnell Stanley is one, Dexter Wideman another, and Poona Ford can be added to that same list.

I for one, hope the fall and fall hard back to the bottom of the barrel, but I dont see it being that fast.

I do believe though that once JC leaves, the spiral downwards starts. They have been lucky to attract back to back star players in Lattimore and Clowney that got them some notiarity but have yet to recruit at a level that will keep them near the top. JC has been the face of the program going on 3 years now, and there is no one else to assume that role. The Ole Ball Sac is starting to wear down and doesnt nearly come w the notiarity and popularity it once did. And esp not considering these Spurrier teams are nothing like Spurrier teams of the past.

I give the University of South Clowns one more good season and then a progression back to normal.. I dont think they are going to be as good this year as the last 2 seasons though, but it will still definitely be tough beating them in the Cockaroach.

I suppose

Jul 14, 2013, 6:25 AM

I thought that they would be pulling in more elite players like they did with Lattimore and Clowney but that seems not only not to be the case , but they are just getting by with slightly more than average recruits. Lets faceit , Spurrier has a team he can smirk about again this year but it looks for all tje world that he has failed to convince more elite talent that the Coots are built for the long haul.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: I suppose

Jul 14, 2013, 6:57 AM

I agree completely.. You would think that with their 4 state titles, hanging their hat on the SEC banner, and a good 3 year stretch they would do a lot better.. But hey, I am glad they dont!

They got a great player in JC who has been an absolute difference maker the last 2 years, and once he is gone, they dont have much left, but some 2*'s, a bunch of 3*'s and a small compilation of 4*s.

But its great that even in their "glory days,"they have managed nothing but middle of the pack recruiting in their own conference and across the country..

In-state talent

Jul 14, 2013, 11:19 AM [ in reply to I suppose ]

SCAR has rarely, if ever signed a CJ Spiller, or a Sammy Watkins, or a Stephone Anthony, or a Tony Steward from out of state.

Over the past few years, SCAR has found some really good players out of state, but they were generally not highly regarded by the national recruiting services ... they were more like the kids Clemson has gotten out of Georgia in the past that UGA snubbed and who turned out to be really good.

As far as nationally recognized players, SCAR has always depended on the Palmetto state to produce their 5-star recruits and they've needed those guys to have grown up as SCAR fans.

SOS struck gold in-state for a 2-3 years.

But, after a couple of relatively dry years in 5-star caliber SC high school talent, SCAR recruiting has not been nearly as effective.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the instate talent draw is going to continue for them

Jul 14, 2013, 10:32 PM

We will know with 2014 and 2015. These two classes are considered to be 2 of the best our state has had in yrs . I am glad we made the move in hiring dabo and wouldn't have it changed for anything but it iis very likely that this the only way they even got clowney. Lets not forget that stephon gaillard andndevonte hollowman were Tiger committs before the coaching shakeup. It is very conceivable that he would have followed his fellow rock hill hoodlums.,I think lattimore was the only one they had all along. The instate talent will start slipping for them really soon and they will be fighting for uk type leftovers

Jul 14, 2013, 8:27 AM

Heck, just look at the rest of their division. With Kentucky getting in the mix, a resurgent UTenn, and always strong UFla and UGa, and the Coots have a problem. And it appears that in the future they will have mega problems with Clemson too. I think the "Golden Years of the Gamecock" are coming to a close. And so soon.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2013, 10:22 AM

This appears to be a lot of wishful thinking and of course some jealousy thrown in for good measure

what is : why you are on our board ?

Jul 14, 2013, 1:08 PM

clemson wins for 500,alex.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jealous,,no.. The law of averages finally went in your favor

Jul 14, 2013, 10:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Rivals Dirtpecker Ranking ]

For a few yrs. even with that said, recruits are not being wowed and it should be a concern. the perception has not changed, you just won more games in the past 4 yrs than you did in the previous 15 and it is noted. I will now continue on my way of wishful and enviuos thinking.

Didn't you know?

Jul 14, 2013, 10:39 AM

The coots don't go after top talent. They recruit lower rated players and develop them.

PB Tiger

Jul 14, 2013, 10:51 AM

their 2010/2011 classes were both top 15 classes by most services...they have some great potential there. No denying that Spurrts is a great coach either but last year they had a sub par recruiting class and this year might be top 20 if they land a couple they have the lean for...but Clemson and their entire division are flat out smoking them on the recruiting trail right now. Jockeys need horses man...donkeys can only be kicked so hard. Spurrts is compiling a lot of averageness...that is a fact.

DB23

facilities upgrades

Jul 14, 2013, 11:10 AM

have not helped. They have planted a lot of shrubbery and palmetto trees aroung the Roach , put together some buildings for their "student athletes" and generally improved things around there but still nothing huge taking place with the influx of talent.
They are doing "ok" . However , against the rest of the SEC and compared to Clemson on the recruiting trail they need to be worried , just on numbers alone they are squandering this recent success by not maintaining on the new talent influx. I say after 9-4 this year and the departure of DOO DOO they will see slippage , a return to the 7-6 :8-5 type season. That will force SOS to leave because his ego couldnt stand for that and the voices that crow greatness now will again fade backinto a dull whisper. But hey , nice parking lot and Farmers Market outta the deal anyway.

DB23

agree apextiger

Jul 14, 2013, 11:39 AM

They hit that "vein" in Rock Hill and picked up some talent to assist. They get a lot out of Spurriers coaching experience and they have done well recently . It just looks like SOS should be in the top ten talent haul , because if Clemson (who he is 5-3 vs.) can do it and the LSU/ALA/TN/FLA/UGA types are doing it consistently then it takes very little reason to see that their is going to be some drop off. Add in Vandy and UK pulling in higher rated talent this year and the Coots are looking a bit shaky down the road in terms of keeping up appearances no matter how much money the SEC is handing them.

DB23

Jul 14, 2013, 11:45 AM

Clemson wins the recruiting battle almost every year. Take a few over the last 20 that USC has had a good haul of recruits and Clemson has owned recruiting just like the series record.

The issue is Orange glasses wearing Tigers are forgetting that better teams have beaten USC year after year and better recruiting leads to better teams. Lately USC has been winning and during a time when Clemson is breaking records. USC winning with those teams shows Spurrier is actually a great coach and has assembled a great staff.

As much as everyone hates him, the old adage remains true...you wouldn't hate him as much if he wasn't winning and beating your team. He is a good coach, maybe not the type people here like but good none the less.

Clemson fans must remember this is a historical run for Clemson just as it is with USC. The difference is USC is getting the best of the head to heads. That may change this year but until it does you look silly talking badly about them

I agree

Jul 14, 2013, 12:57 PM

I think Spurrier knew what he had in QB Dylan and did not want to reveal that he'd be the starter leading up to our last match. He also knew our weakness was our DB who played waaaay too soft of coverage and frequently took bad angles. He exploited that with a great passing QB and spreading the field and allowing his speedy receivers to make plays.

Spurrier is a great coach but for the dirtpeckers to believe that he'll be replaced with an equally talented coach is funny.

Our weakness that were exploited last year look to be gaining strength. Nothing need be said of our LB core. We are about as deep as we've ever been in that department and stacked with talent. Our Secondary will have upper classmen returning from injury as well as 8 incoming freshman DBs (one being a 5*, #4 player overall). I feel our DB play will be much improved. I can also see our DL improving a bit as well. I'm most excited about Vic Beasley and his freakish capabilities as an athlete.

Some say we need to be concerned about replacing the 35 TDs we have lost in seniors but really, I'm more concerned about turning our defense around so that scoring that often will not be a necessity.

i don't think we are at the level of the '80's just yet.

Jul 14, 2013, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Rivals Dirtpecker Ranking ]

we were in the top 5 nationally, for the entire decade, in wins. we are getting closer, and i do think we have a good chance to get back there, but we ain't there yet.
there is no doubt that this is the highest level usuc has ever, or will ever,attain.
the hardee's trophy will return to clemson this year, and it may well be another few years before it resides in columbia again.

agree that we have had a good run

Jul 14, 2013, 12:36 PM

and that our bane has been losses to the Ball Coot...but that may be attributable to lesser talent as much as coaching. We lost out on the elite in states in 2009/2010 and the Coots signed a lot of kids that pushed them up into the top 15 area. We have caught up again and arguably surpassed them at this poiny going forward.
My overall statement is about the lack of elite/upper 4* talent a team with their affiliations and recent on field successes has
managed. Coaching can take you so far , but you must pull in at least better than those you compete against or you will noy get over the "good but not great" hump.

DB23

Agree *

Jul 14, 2013, 1:03 PM

All goos points. +1

DB23

good *

Jul 14, 2013, 1:04 PM

do i possess fat fingers or tiny keys ? Its a toss up and also open to debate.

DB23

Jul 14, 2013, 1:51 PM

lessee, I have this quaint notion that the best way to evaluate recruting is to see which program puts the best team on the field. and the best way to determine the best team is head to head competion.

SOS has never been like "some" coaches who basically recruit the rivals.com recruiting list, and load up on wide outs or running backs to the detriment of the lines of scrimmage.

But since you seem to place so much stock in rival.com, I just did a quick glance at their list. And lo and behold, when you look at Per recruit average ranking, I could only find 10 teams in the country with a better average ranking.

Now SC will have a very small class this year of only about 16 or so recruits. So obviously they will not rank highly in rivals overall ranking. But the average ranking tells a different story. And given that all of the remaing guys they are waiting are 4 star guys except one 3 star, that average is only going to go up.

As for the future, in the 15 cycle, SC already has Shamiek Blackshear committed. He is a 5 star who is considered easily the best prospect to come out of the state since Clowney, and he is the top DE in the country. And they also have a high 4 star DE from atlanta who is also one of the top 10 DE's in the country.

Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking in this thread .

Jul 14, 2013, 2:15 PM

What ever makes you feel better coot...

Jul 14, 2013, 2:28 PM

actually, these recruiting rankings don't really make me feel better or worse.

The only thing I really care about are the results on the field.

And you should, you have waited your enitre life to say

Jul 14, 2013, 10:52 PM

That,it just sounds so weird to hear it.

They will load up late and end up signing about 30.***

Jul 14, 2013, 3:06 PM

recruiting is a measure of success

Jul 14, 2013, 3:26 PM

just as much as results from the classes you signed 3 yrs ago that are winning now on the field. Clemson has put together 3 straight top 15 classes while it looks like the Coots will fall short of that for a second straight year.
Results to follow.
Also , of those top teams , the 10 or so you mentioned who had better ratings , we were one of them , werent we coot ?

DB23

Smirkin' Stevie Ball Sak

Jul 14, 2013, 4:03 PM

Was 1-3 vs Clemson before the big uptick in Re-Cooting . The grunt stain in the Bluff Rd projects became a relevant albeit temporary player magnet right after he went and threatened to quit over (cough) ...percieved stringent admittance standards and the administrators at Sackerlina caved...which has allowed them to huckle up with the likes of Doo Doo and other players that have to "try to fail " . Its obvious to me though , that the ship has sailed and now fewer hi rated kids want to go there ...they see that even with Spurrier the coots just cannot get to the BCS level , cant get the shot at it. After a 4 or 5 loss year this season there will be even fewer kids interested (save for those who cant get in elsewhere) . Columbia is a dump , the UscE campus is a mess and there just really aint that much to pitch after they have seen other places with on campus stadiums , grass and trees and fan bases that have moved past mullets and cut off jeans as gameday attire.

DB23

Jul 14, 2013, 11:31 PM

I remember when we used to brag about recruiting and not the games on the field.

I like it this new way. USC will not be ranked high this year in part because we will only sign about 15 kids.

We will have to turn down a few that are really high on our board because we won't have room. We have a good chance of signing 5 of the top 7 as ranked by Rivals and did not offer the other 2 (Jacob Park and Christian Miller). We did offer Miller but as a DE and he wants to play LB. We chose not to offer as an LB. Both are probably good players but Clemson also did not offer Park. Not sure why the kid looks good to me.

But point is, we are very happy with our class, even though it won't be a top 10 class mostly due to numbers.

Jul 14, 2013, 11:32 PM

Above post meant to say 5 of top 7 in SC as ranked by rivals.

Jul 15, 2013, 12:05 AM

The last 4 years Clemson has won the recruiting battle on Rivals but not the field. The biggest difference is the OL and DL. South Carolina's starting OL this year average is 6'5 and 322 lbs. and fast. Their DL is ranked 2nd in the Country by ESPN.

Miller is a legacy

Jul 14, 2013, 11:57 PM

That is telling. You can flash all those SC ranking #s around you want , but we know that this state rarely produces more than a couple of elite players each cycle , 4 in a darn good year. Clemson is absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail and only a fool thinks that "coaching up " 3 star kids will win out over having a roster full of higher ranked kids. Its been a good run in Cola with SOS and his wiley ways , but the real meat of his "accomplishment" as your coach has been during rebuilding years at Fla TN and Clemson. When Doo Doo leaves this year where are the next stars at ...even offensively ?
I dont see it.

DB23

Link those last 4 Rivals comparison.***

Jul 15, 2013, 12:49 AM

DB23

Recruiting rankings are completely worthless.

Jul 15, 2013, 12:38 PM

I want scoreboard.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic