Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rick Barnes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,721

Rick Barnes

Jul 28, 2020, 4:10 PM

Vs. the Tigers on ACCN right now. Go Cliff,

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rick Barnes

Jul 28, 2020, 4:33 PM

He had some nice teams at Texas but never could get over the hump and with the NC. Started good at Tenn but fell off last year. He is a good coach but I think hee is a shake things up quick fix guy. Over the long haul his results tend to fall off. I always wondered what happened versus W Mich because that was not the same team we were used to seeing

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2020, 5:07 PM

He has won two out of every three games he has coached. I’ll take that .

I was waiting for Greg Buckner to be indicted

Jul 28, 2020, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Rick Barnes ]

in a point shaving scandal after the way that season ended

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was waiting for Greg Buckner to be indicted

Jul 28, 2020, 5:32 PM

Which season are you referring to?

97-98, particularly the UVA game and beyond***

Jul 28, 2020, 5:43 PM

Re: 97-98, particularly the UVA game and beyond***

Jul 28, 2020, 5:47 PM

What does that have to do with this game? Buckner was probably 10 years old!

the last sentence of the post I replied to asked what

Jul 29, 2020, 12:10 AM

happened vs WMU, the final game of Greg's Clemson career and the final game of the 97-98 season...How are you not following that?

Re: the last sentence of the post I replied to asked what

Jul 29, 2020, 12:25 PM

I was watching the Providence vs Clemson game of 1989 on ACCN.

and the post I responded to didn't reference that game once,

Jul 29, 2020, 3:24 PM

but DID mention the WMU game in 98, it's not rocket science

That loss to Western Michigan in 1998 was pretty bad.

Jul 29, 2020, 3:33 PM

A very disappointing year for sure, especially after returning our stars from the previous year's Sweet 16 team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

What a painful game.***

Jul 29, 2020, 3:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I think he is a very good coach, but he wasn't going to

Jul 29, 2020, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Rick Barnes ]

sustain his success at Clemson. I believe that's the real reason why he left for Texas.

He lucked out with Buckner and McIntyre being diamonds in the rough, and turned that into a nice run of several NCAA Tournaments (one of which saw us advance out of the first round and to the Sweet 16).

Other than those two guys, he didn't set the world on fire with recruiting. He certainly didn't have anyone close to those two in terms of talent on the roster or in his upcoming recruiting class. This is why we saw Shyatt struggle pretty much from the outset. Shyatt's first team was fairly talented, with a senior McIntyre but without Buckner. That team won 20 games as a result of making the NIT and advancing to the championship. But Shyatt's second year was a huge drop-off from year one. This pattern was similar to what we saw with Brownell, with some talent still there for his first year but a huge drop-off in his second year due to the prior coach not leaving much underclassmen talent behind.

I think Barnes excelled in tailoring the style of play to the players he had. For us, it was playing an aggressive and physical defensive style similar to the Bad Boys Pistons teams of the late 80s. This, coupled with a slower pace on offense, helped make us competitive against more talented teams.

Barnes had a great year at Tennessee in 2018-2019, but as you said, a decline last year. He has gotten some good recruits there, including Josiah James who we really wanted. I expect he will have some more good teams at Tennessee before he retires.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

He had Will Solomon locked up before he left, he was

Jul 29, 2020, 5:00 PM

of their caliber

Jul 29, 2020, 3:51 PM

About RB not getting to the NC - note that thew 2004 they were knocked out in the final four by 'Cuse... which at that time was paying their players via the YMCA. I think the Cuse dodged a bullet not vacating that title but who knows.

As for RB otherwise, he would win some great games and then turn up a few eggs, especially in the tournaments.

I always think he is a better coach with the four star kids than with the five star kids. He could turn the 4-star kids (and below) into giant killers but could not really be a giant on his own. It was almost like he was weak against his own brand. During the bracket challenges, I would look for a decent mid-major or BE like team to always knock them out. Make sense?

Jul 29, 2020, 10:18 PM

The slab five. Best coaching job EVER for Clemson!

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,721
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic