Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OK, here's why folks can leave "Dabo to Texas" rumors alone
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

OK, here's why folks can leave "Dabo to Texas" rumors alone

Dec 15, 2013, 9:41 AM

And none of the reasons have to do with "Dabo doesn't deserve it" or "I didn't know they needed a head cheerleader" bull$hit....which frankly I'm sick of hearing and doesn't further anything but a confirmed lack of creativity by anyone who posts it as a "Hey, look at me! I'm clever!" plea for attention.

There are a few salient reasons this would not take place, all of which would make for far more reasoned discussion:

1. Experience. It's not years, it context. Yes, Texas plucked Mack brown from an ACC school, but he came there with experience elsewhere. Our coach has seasoned well here, but there would still be voices in Texas who'd say "Yeah, but would it translate here?" Any big school will also want to wait and see ....

2. How will he do without his right arms? Dabo will be the first to admit much of the success at Clemson has come on his ability to build a solid staff. And there have been some missteps along the way, which he has fixed to his credit. But our current rise came under our current OC and DC. Before Texas or anyone of note takes a serious look, they'll want to know how he replaces those key cogs ... as are many on this board.

3. Wow factor vs. Rah-Rah factor: Do I think Dabo could succeed at Texas? Yes I do. But he's still a few years and experience away from the cache the Horns are looking for. His enthusiasm for life and football are cynically seen as cheerleading by those with no enthusiasm for what they do in life. It will be harder for those cynics to sound like anything more than the bitter culls they are if in 3 years he's got another 30-plus wins.

4. The Danny argument: Anyone ever wonder why Danny Ford never left Clemson until small minds in big places made it so? Why didn't he go to Notre Dame or one of the big jobs that came open? Simple ... he loved Clemson, the pay was good, the atmosphere was perfect for a good life.

5. Call Dabo what you want, but don't call him Dumbo. Once Saban turned down that Texas golden ticket, anyone who takes the job already has an Alabama-sized bag of cement around his neck. Unless they produce back-to-back national titles immediately, the new hire might as well be nailing their own hands to a cottonwood cross.

Dabo, I believe, feels the same. He's been given the opportunity to succeed, he's been given latitude to build a program his way, and he has been embraced by all but the bitter fringes of our fan base. He defers pay raises to improve his staff and has been rewarded with improved facilities and a road that is nothing but bright ahead.

Rather than ask why Texas would come for Dabo, it's better to ask why on Earth would he leave Clemson? Don't say money ... he's already turned it down here. Don't say opportunity. It's all here.

Aside from an opportunity to sing with Jerry Jeff at the Broken Spoke or with Willie in Terlingua, I can't see one.

Now ... if folks would like to argue these, it would be a #### of a lot more constructive. Thanks for your time.

Go Tigers! Crack the Nuts!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OK, here's why folks can leave "Dabo to Texas" rumors alone

Dec 15, 2013, 9:50 AM

I totally agree, I mean the guy they wanted already turned them down. Nick Saban, so anyone that goes will be second best.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I comment on one or your talking points...

Dec 15, 2013, 9:53 AM

Rather than ask why Texas would come for Dabo, it's better to ask why on Earth would he leave Clemson? Don't say money ... he's already turned it down here. Don't say opportunity. It's all here.

Why? Clemson is great to us, but all College coaches can over-stay their welcome. Dabo has this program to a point that unless we win the National title they will treat him like UGA does Mark Richt...A perennial 10 win program that finishes close to the top 10 is no longer enough...At some point he will be forced out and why not leave on terms that benefits him?

Also there is a point of professional advancement. Clemson again is great, but it is not considered a "destination" job for most. If Dabo was offered a place like Texas where as good of a recruiter as he is can have a national pick of the litter.

Sure, Clemson is paradise to us but I could not Blame Dabo if he was offered a Top 3 job like Texas...those jobs are extremely limited.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Fair point, and entirely reasonable....

Dec 15, 2013, 10:00 AM

...Mack Brown himself proves you can outstay your welcome, even with national success.

The day could indeed come, and if it does then hail and farewell coach, and thanks for all you've done. My point is that time hasn't come year ... not for the sort of program worth leaving Clemson. And of course, some would say no program is worth that.

But you are correct: one of the tenets of the job is to keep a suitcase by the door. To my mind, it's not that time yet. Not for Dabo or Teas.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I comment on one or your talking points...

Dec 16, 2013, 11:49 AM [ in reply to I comment on one or your talking points... ]

so you are saying Swinney has overstayed his welcome because "A perennial 10 win program that finishes close to the top 10 is no longer enough?"

It would seem to many that is the case.....***

Dec 17, 2013, 10:36 AM

We aren't even a perennial 10-win team yet

Dec 16, 2013, 11:56 AM [ in reply to I comment on one or your talking points... ]

We've had success the last two years, let's not get too far ahead. The reality is that this 10-win streak is a new thing for us this in the new millenium.

Even the worst dumpers should know to give him a few more years before we go putting him in the same pile as Richt. We won the ACC pretty recently, and have been in the position to make a splash several times.

A what point does "perinnial" apply in your mind?

Dec 17, 2013, 10:40 AM

Three years and 2 BCS bowls look pretty good to me. But that doesn't really matter..

What I am trying to say is that "professionally" speaking, if the opportunity exists, some times it is better to leave early rather than stay to long to be hated.

Your Number 4 has been on my mind lately, Rev, for the

Dec 15, 2013, 9:57 AM

history of the game reveals a number of coaches who found their niche at a particular school and chose to remain there.

Their reasons could have been many, but sometimes, money is not the overriding factor. That thinking, also, ties in with my belief that those attempting to equate a coach's success with the number of outside offers are way off base.

Excellent summary of what many of us have been thinking. +1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good points except for #2.

Dec 15, 2013, 10:08 AM

I don't think Dabo is going anywhere soon, but if he were to go to Texas, Morris and Venables would, of course, go with him.

Unless one of them stayed behind as HC

Dec 15, 2013, 10:18 AM

Which would prove the point: Could Dabo win with a different coaching combination? Texas folks probably wouldn't be patient enough to let him find his way with a new supporting staff.

Re: Good points except for #2.

Dec 15, 2013, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Good points except for #2. ]

To that point, I would argue that Morris would have to choose between following Dabo to Texas (his home state) as the OC, or being the Head Coach at Clemson. Because if Dabo were to leave (and this is more of a hypothetical discussion, he isn't going to Texas), then I would be shocked if Chad isn't offered the job in less than 5 minutes here.

OK Rev - here's my take

Dec 15, 2013, 10:09 AM

First, I think Dabo would do well at Texas.....and I'm not saying this as some Dabo groupie.

The Texas job is different than most all HC jobs in college football. Most of my info about the Texas job comes from listening to Chip Brown's radio show out of Austin and reading Chip's articles......Chip writes for Orangebloods.com and is the one who broke the Mack Brown story.

Anyway, the Texas HC job is a CEO job simply due to the demands of the job from a PR standpoint. The UT fan base and alums require the appearances and talks, interviews, photo ops, etc. like nowhere else, and the state of Texas and Texas University are huge. The time demands for such a large area and fan base do not allow for coordinating an offense or a defense. Apparently, Mack Brown excels in the PR role and being "the face" of the program.

Playing the PR role is a personality trait that is also most definitely part of Dabo's make up. Dabo enjoys the spotlight and enjoys talking.....just watch a press conference.

The other primary requirement for the UT head coach is being able to recruit. I don't need to state Dabo's qualities in this area as they are well known.

So the two areas where Dabo excels are the two areas of greatest importance for the UT head coaching job. Add to the fact that UT prints money over there and they use oil for ink, and Dabo could pay whatever it takes to hire the best coordinators.

I really think Dabo could do well at UT for the reasons noted above and additionally the schedule is not terribly tough in the Big 12.

Rev, I think you are wrong in your belief Dabo wouldn't go if offered. For all that Clemson has to offer it is not Texas. Whatever great things one can say about Clemson, Texas can argue better.....higher rated academics, a recruiting base second to none, Austin foothills are beautiful, lakes, tremendous fan base and money, money, money.

I don't think Dabo is even in UT's top 5 but if he does get an offer I think he goes and does well.

Valid, well-considered points...

Dec 15, 2013, 10:16 AM

...which I enjoy, and frankly miss from the early days of T-Net.

Your point about the "CEO" coach is intriguing. Certainly Mack is that type coach. The question would be whether Texas wants to continue that philosophy in coach. My observation is fewer colleges are embracing that role, preferring the coach to be all things to all people...and getting paid dang well for doing so.

I'd also agree if Dabo wished to tackle that bucking bull, I'd wish him well. And if given the time, he'd do well with it. But the folks at Texas don't appear to be the patient type right now.

Good points as are Rev's. But if Dabo

Dec 16, 2013, 12:21 AM [ in reply to OK Rev - here's my take ]

went to Texas (or anywhere else)guess what? He would take Morris and Venables with him!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo just doesn't seem to me

Dec 15, 2013, 10:12 AM

To be a nomad. I can't see him being a "suitcase by the door" guy. He would be that way wherever he was, not just at Clemson. However, Clemson is where he is, so he dives in head first and goes balls out. That's who he is. Not seeing he's never leave, he just won't make a habit of it. IMO.

Dec 15, 2013, 10:14 AM

Love your #4, Rev. "small minds in big places" how true, how true, how true. They took a young (at the time), energetic Bear Bryant and forced him out because he was politically incorrect. Like Moses and the Israelites, we've been roaming in the desert but I think Dabo has us finally headed toward the promised land.

Dec 15, 2013, 10:14 AM

His enthusiasm for life and football are cynically seen as cheerleading by those with no enthusiasm for what they do in life.

Very well put Rev, spot on. It's a shame that people, especially our own fan base, mock him for enjoying being the HC at our beloved Clemson University so much. He's unashamed of his love for this opportunity, and for life in general, and if that doesn't help you see that this man will stop at nothing short of the pinnacle then you are completely blind.

However, I will say that his competitiveness could be what leads him out of Clemson. Make no doubt about it, Dabo Swinney would LOVE to be the man that brought a program like Texas back to the top of the college football world. To be heralded as the savior at a major program like Texas is a tough opportunity to pass up.

But I don't think he's a serious candidate for that job this time around. Now, I do think that if whoever they hire doesn't succeed and they go searching again in 4-6 years, then he will be on that short list IF he wins a couple more conference championships and keeps Clemson routinely in the top 10. I think he would need a little more seasoning, and he's going to have to prove that he can replace Morris and Venables and keep this train rolling. If he does that, he's going to get heavy consideration for a lot of major job openings down the line.

Bingo! In time he and Clemson may part ways...

Dec 15, 2013, 10:22 AM

...but if he's moving to a larger stage (and there are some out there) then it means we'll both be better for our time together.

Please guys Dabo to anywhere?

Dec 15, 2013, 10:17 AM

Cheez,WOW. He can pick and choose from all the major colleges calling for him. What a laugh.
Nobody is dumb enough to hire dabo but us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would you care to refute any of the points...

Dec 15, 2013, 10:20 AM

...or are you simply one of those folks who likes to draw mocking attention to themselves by doffing clown bells and twerking in the spotlight?

Re: Please guys Dabo to anywhere?

Dec 15, 2013, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Please guys Dabo to anywhere? ]

That's just patently inaccurate. He's succeeded here, and I think the underlying theme is that nationally nobody really gives a rat's a$$ that we haven't beaten SC. Nationally Dabo has turned Clemson into a top 10, borderline national championship contender...something most pundits have expected out of the school for 20 years.

His name has surfaced among beat writers and internet websites now for both the Texas and Alabama jobs. No, he is not a serious candidate for those jobs yet. But whether you like it or not, his name is now being thrown into those conversations.

Dec 15, 2013, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Please guys Dabo to anywhere? ]

Maybe you should change that handle to "dummyduck". Jus sayin'

Dec 15, 2013, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Please guys Dabo to anywhere? ]

Domduck, please explain.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Yet another rabbel rousing post without merit

Dec 15, 2013, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Please guys Dabo to anywhere? ]

Dabo may not be in the top 5 or 10 NCAA coaches in the nation but he is still a strong candidate to a number of other schools with serious programs. His name comes up more often than his haters seem to like - not just from the sports world talking heads or from board posting fans. He's not Saban. But he is much more desirable than a majority of coaches who would kill for top HC spots.

With Texas I just think they have the ability to entice coaches with a more proven record than Dabo and will probably find one in that list who will follow through with negotiations. But I have little doubt he falls somewhere on their list.

Dec 15, 2013, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Please guys Dabo to anywhere? ]

Just another case of sphincter neck tie.

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

10-4, 11-2, 10-2, 3 Div. titles, 1 ACC Title, 3 1st rounders

Dec 16, 2013, 3:09 AM [ in reply to Please guys Dabo to anywhere? ]

Yeah, we're pretty dumb.

Dec 17, 2013, 12:13 AM [ in reply to Please guys Dabo to anywhere? ]

Dabo has never, nor would he ever consider taking that cesspool job in cootlumbia. If your usuc school had twice the money than Texas had, he would laugh in y'alls face and tell you point blank, that the real Carolina is in North Carolina, and that he isn't interested in the fake one. Stupid A$S coots!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look, Clemson fans, of which I am one, love Clemson football

Dec 15, 2013, 10:39 AM

I love winning, especially the games you "aren't supposed to win." However, if we all take off our orange colored glasses, it should be clear that Dabo is quite capable in the ACC against our weaker brethren. But he has not yet demonstrated his ability to consistently win against the top opponents. And it isn't just losing to them, it's getting blown away. We say he fixed it after W Va. But then FSU blows our doors off with 51 points. And we haven't beaten our rival in over 5 years. Do you think these things are not crucially important to the likes of Texas, Auburn, Alabama, etc? It is the difference between a good program and an elite program. Dabo hasn't yet proved he can get a team to elite status. When he does, all of the other schools will want him.

Re: Look, Clemson fans, of which I am one, love Clemson football

Dec 15, 2013, 10:58 AM

Dabo has faced 7 SEC opponents in the last 3 years, all 7 ranked at the time we played them. He is 4-3 against those opponents. Just picking and choosing which games you want to consider big games, and only using the losses to make your point, is silly. I could do the same thing...watch:

Against nationally recognized teams like Auburn, UGA, LSU, and VT, Dabo is 7-1!!! He has really elevated this program to another level and is doing it be continuously knocking off big time opponents!!!

See...you only use the big games that support your argument and therefore lose credibility to provide valid points. He's won plenty of big games at Clemson, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

The point that you are missing is that they hired Mack Brown

Dec 15, 2013, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Look, Clemson fans, of which I am one, love Clemson football ]

who took them to a national title, and most of that could have been said of him as well. He was 0-6 against FSU and never won an ACC Championship. Yes, he had more experience, but most of that experience was not successful.

Texas hired him, and it was a good hire.

There aren't many Nick Sabans out there, and finding a coach that has won championships, has a long record of winning consistently AND beating top tem teams, never has a bad loss or loses to a team they should beat, and has done all of that on a big stage, is gonna be a tall task.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

and of course the #1 reason

Dec 15, 2013, 10:48 AM

He would fail miserably in Austin.

Dabo is walking around on 2 crutches right now - CBV and CCM. Texas, along with some Tigers, are curious to see how he does without that support.

A good coach is one who brings in that support. He was

Dec 15, 2013, 11:19 AM

smart enough to see the others were not working and then went and got the ones that would. Only an idiot would not see how any coach does not win unless he has a great supporting staff. Hell the great saban is not the only coach at bama he just gets all the credit

Re: A good coach is one who brings in that support. He was

Dec 17, 2013, 12:23 AM

Some of the idiots think that Morris and Brent just decided one day, I'm going to Clemson and help Dabo out. They have no clue that Dabo went after them and brought them to Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for reinforcing 1 of the prime discussion points

Dec 15, 2013, 11:55 AM [ in reply to and of course the #1 reason ]

The argument was posited that Texas would likely not seriously pursue Dabo until/unless he proved his mettle with a second generation of coordinators. Your specious use of the word 'crutches" betrays your position on his value, but the point is reinforced.

well, seeing as how you dismissed the most obvious reason

Dec 15, 2013, 12:21 PM

the fact that they will not hire him due to lack of resume/knowledge/background/competence

Re: and of course the #1 reason

Dec 15, 2013, 2:37 PM [ in reply to and of course the #1 reason ]

Good grief! Do you think Saban does all the coaching at Alabama? Do you think his assistants are a bunch of untalented, incapable minions who only do the master's will??
My son was at Alabama for a football camp this summer and it was his assistants doing 99% of the work!(And)they are amazing! By far the best staff we had the opportunity to learn from! So are Kirby Smart and the other coaches Nick's crutches?
Posts like this just make me shake my head......

Re: and of course the #1 reason

Dec 17, 2013, 12:27 AM

Post like those make stupid is, stupid does have true meaning!!!

Dec 15, 2013, 11:11 AM

I agree with most of what you said, except the money. Dabo hasn't turned down the kind of money that Texas would offer. Their next coach could be the highest paid coach in all of football.

Spot on Rev, but would like to point out something about

Dec 15, 2013, 11:18 AM

Mack Brown's experience and it's context. Yes, he had significantly more experience as a head coach, at more than one school and with different coordinators and for different ADs and such, but until his last 5 years or so at UNC, it was not a very good experience, as his record was 35-54-1 at that point.

I agree that Texas would prefer someone with a bigger resume as a head coach, but if we overlook Mack's lack of success for most of his career, and compare his last 5 years at UNC to Dabo's time here, they are very similar.

My whole point is, no, I don't think Dabo is at the very top of Texas's list, but it should surprise no one that his name is on that list.

Good post as usual Rev.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Good point. IIRC after initial success

Dec 15, 2013, 12:01 PM

UNC declined to make some facility improvements for football, citing the cost of the Dean Dome. That pretty much let Mack know where football was in the world of the Bluebellies.

Texas, of course, had no qualms about football being No. 1 and Mack's CEO style thrived there for years.

Texas is going to go RAH

Dec 15, 2013, 12:01 PM

Then they're going to strike out and go safe before they look too ridiculous. But you guys are safe. Swinney won't be on their minds. Their AD is going to hire the same guy he hired 2 years ago at Arizona State, Todd Graham.

This is a reasonable solution...

Dec 15, 2013, 1:45 PM

IIRC, there's some sort of contractual agreement that Patterson agreed not to do that, but heck ... Texas can throw enough money to make legalities and morals disappear.

Sometimes it is the allure and sex appeal of the "big city".

Dec 15, 2013, 12:17 PM

...Austin is a great town and anyone who has lived there can attest to that. And, if it's sex appeal of a big city then there's nothing Clemson can do about that. Quite frankly, there are those who'd rather go play at GT than at Clemson for this reason. It's not for me but I understand it. It would seem that John Heisman himself or I should say his lady friend thought the big city to be more attractive. You never know what influence the better half has....

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Dabo deserves it and I wish him the best***

Dec 15, 2013, 2:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one wants paul johnson

Dec 15, 2013, 5:38 PM

not even GT

I'll give a few why Dabo can be excluded

Dec 15, 2013, 5:47 PM

1. Jimbo Fischer has been more successful in less of a time period and with more pressure

2.David Shaw has been more successful with more recruiting restrictions

3.Art Briles has been more successful with less of everything

4.Mark Dantonio has been more successful with less recruits and has ties to Texas

All of these are the most likely candidates and all are extremely attainable.

How about no Big 12 Championship game?? Just sayin***

Dec 15, 2013, 6:01 PM

Dec 15, 2013, 10:05 PM

Rev., excellent and on target post!

No arguments here Rev, point for making a good case!***

Dec 16, 2013, 8:22 AM

Yep, and thanks to just about everyone ...

Dec 16, 2013, 8:35 AM

...for reasoned discussion.

Rev, language unbcoming a Rev. :-) *****

Dec 16, 2013, 7:22 PM

As usual, an A-1 post from reverend dodd.***

Dec 16, 2013, 7:49 PM

Dec 17, 2013, 7:38 AM

> And none of the reasons have to do with "Dabo doesn't
> deserve it" or "I didn't know they needed a head
> cheerleader" bull$hit....which frankly I'm sick of
> hearing and doesn't further anything but a confirmed
> lack of creativity by anyone who posts it as a "Hey,
> look at me! I'm clever!" plea for attention.
>
> There are a few salient reasons this would not take
> place, all of which would make for far more reasoned
> discussion:
>
> 1. Experience. It's not years, it context. Yes, Texas
> plucked Mack brown from an ACC school, but he came
> there with experience elsewhere. Our coach has
> seasoned well here, but there would still be voices
> in Texas who'd say "Yeah, but would it translate
> here?" Any big school will also want to wait and see
> ....
>
> 2. How will he do without his right arms? Dabo will
> be the first to admit much of the success at Clemson
> has come on his ability to build a solid staff. And
> there have been some missteps along the way, which he
> has fixed to his credit. But our current rise came
> under our current OC and DC. Before Texas or anyone
> of note takes a serious look, they'll want to know
> how he replaces those key cogs ... as are many on
> this board.
>
> 3. Wow factor vs. Rah-Rah factor: Do I think Dabo
> could succeed at Texas? Yes I do. But he's still a
> few years and experience away from the cache the
> Horns are looking for. His enthusiasm for life and
> football are cynically seen as cheerleading by those
> with no enthusiasm for what they do in life. It will
> be harder for those cynics to sound like anything
> more than the bitter culls they are if in 3 years
> he's got another 30-plus wins.
>
> 4. The Danny argument: Anyone ever wonder why Danny
> Ford never left Clemson until small minds in big
> places made it so? Why didn't he go to Notre Dame or
> one of the big jobs that came open? Simple ... he
> loved Clemson, the pay was good, the atmosphere was
> perfect for a good life.
>
> 5. Call Dabo what you want, but don't call him Dumbo.
> Once Saban turned down that Texas golden ticket,
> anyone who takes the job already has an Alabama-sized
> bag of cement around his neck. Unless they produce
> back-to-back national titles immediately, the new
> hire might as well be nailing their own hands to a
> cottonwood cross.
>
> Dabo, I believe, feels the same. He's been given the
> opportunity to succeed, he's been given latitude to
> build a program his way, and he has been embraced by
> all but the bitter fringes of our fan base. He defers
> pay raises to improve his staff and has been rewarded
> with improved facilities and a road that is nothing
> but bright ahead.
>
> Rather than ask why Texas would come for Dabo, it's
> better to ask why on Earth would he leave Clemson?
> Don't say money ... he's already turned it down here.
> Don't say opportunity. It's all here.
>
> Aside from an opportunity to sing with Jerry Jeff at
> the Broken Spoke or with Willie in Terlingua, I can't
> see one.
>
> Now ... if folks would like to argue these, it would
> be a #### of a lot more constructive. Thanks for your
> time.
>
> Go Tigers! Crack the Nuts!

You could have saved a lot of time and space by simply writing, "because Texas does not want him and is not considering him."

I could ... but it might not be accurate

Dec 17, 2013, 9:18 AM

If you'd care to support your statement with something beyond personal opinion, I'd be interested in pursuing the topic.

If you say "Texas would not want him because he doesn't have the experience" I believe we covered that.

If you say "Texas would never hire him because he's a cheerleader " or "Because he can't even beat his in-state rival" or "because I don't like Dabo," then I really can't see much being brought to the table.

So ... I don't disagree with you, for the reasons I suggested. But what can you offer that says Texas would not be interested in Dabo?

Thanks!

Re: I could ... but it might not be accurate

Dec 17, 2013, 11:09 AM

> If you'd care to support your statement with
> something beyond personal opinion, I'd be interested
> in pursuing the topic.
>
> If you say "Texas would not want him because he
> doesn't have the experience" I believe we covered
> that.
>
> If you say "Texas would never hire him because he's a
> cheerleader " or "Because he can't even beat his
> in-state rival" or "because I don't like Dabo," then
> I really can't see much being brought to the table.
>
> So ... I don't disagree with you, for the reasons I
> suggested. But what can you offer that says Texas
> would not be interested in Dabo?
>
> Thanks!

Well, actually all anyone can offer on this topic of Dabo to Texas is personal opinion. To answer your question however, I will simply say the "proof will be in the pudding" and will be proven once Texas hires a new coach and Dabo is never contacted or considered. Take a look at some of the Texas boards if you want to see what their fans think of Dabo. I can post some links for you if you like but to put it mildly, they are not impressed with him as a coach or the ACC as a conference. That's just the way it is. There is too much blood in water in Texas for the administration to make a mistake hire. Dabo would be perceived as just that, like it or not.

Rev there is one major reason you missed on though your

Dec 17, 2013, 9:32 AM

Other points are good ones. I doubt Dabo wants to be the kind of coach and father he would have to become to make the move to Texas. He wants to be there for his wife and children whereas the pressure and expectations at Texas would dictate a moderate change in his lifestyle.
Texas is kind of like an NFL sleep in your office type position compared to what he has here. However if he did make the move then we certainly have a great candidate for Dabo's job here on staff! In fact we have several including both our coordinators!

i liked this:

Dec 25, 2024, 8:20 AM

"His enthusiasm for life and football are cynically seen as cheerleading by those with no enthusiasm for what they do in life."

Here is how Dabo is viewed by Texas

Dec 17, 2013, 12:03 PM

http://www.burntorangenation.com/football/2013/12/15/5211824/texas-longhorns-coaching-search-candidates-jimbo-fisher-art-briles

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic