Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Replacing KJ
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 939

Replacing KJ

Apr 22, 2014, 5:37 PM

First of all, defensively, no one can. KJ was the most inate shot blocker I have ever seen, and their is no way that skill can be replicated. Athletically, he's a freak. No one on the current roster has his athleticism(very few do.) But we'll have 2 guys vying for his spot who are more skilled as a traditional 3 man, Austin Ajukwa and Donte Grantham.

Both Ajukwa and Grantham are shooters. Ajukwa really matured the second half of the year and became a soild contributor as a true freshman hitting some key shots and showing the ability to put the ball on the floor and drive. Defensively he's still a work in progress but this off season should really help him with that. He's option one and I'm very comfortable with him should he win the spot.

Grantham is the highest rated recruit of the Brownell era. He exploded as a prospect last summer on the AAU circuit when he moved outside after playing the post his entire HS career. A year in prep school should have him ready to play from day one. He's an excellent 3 point shooter(he hit 12 in one game this year) who has a tough streak from playing in the paint most of his life.

Both of these guys have the ability to step up and replace KJ's PPG(between them), and athletically, are ACC players. Losing KJ is a blow, but we have 2 guys who will, I believe, play well for us this year.

The rest of the team is set and deep:

PG-Hall, Roper
2G-Harrison, Devoe, Rooks
PF-Blossomgame, Djambo, Smith
C-Nnoko, Djitte

All is definitely no lost for Clemson hoops. I still think we can be an NCAA team, just not the sure thing we would have been had KJ returned. Here's hoping KJ becomes an NBA star, and the program continues to move forward

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The world isn't coming to an end

Apr 22, 2014, 7:38 PM

But losing KJ is a big blow anyway you slice it. While we do have some true ACC caliber talent coming in, we are thin at PG and PF. Blossomgame is a SF, not a true 4 spot player.

I like BB's style for our program and think he will put out a competitive team. I hope the fanbase will get behind the team more next year so we don't lose him.

We will struggle to make the NCAA's next year as the conference is likely to be considerably better. Very few teams will slide next year and Louisville arrives to our schedule.

I think we have a chance to win 20 but see us more as a 17-18 win team without KJ.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See I think the league will be down next year

Apr 22, 2014, 7:57 PM

Cuse loses Ennis, Grant and Fair. NC loses McAdoo, McDonald. Duke loses Parker and Hood. UVa Harris and Mitchell. State loses Warren and Lewis. Pitt Patterson and Zanna. Louisville loses 4 guys. Basically every team loses their top player or 2-3. 3 new coaches coming in. KJ was amazing last year, but if our returnees progress as most players under Brownell do, we're in pretty good shape. I like Roper as the back up PG, and Devoe can play there as well. It's not like Hall doesn't get most of the minutes. I expect a guy like Blossomgame to take major steps forward, and others like Hall, Nnoko and Harrisson to continue to improve. Adding 3 true shooters will be huge as well.

UNC will be better for losing mcadoo. lol***

Apr 23, 2014, 10:19 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

lol, going to be relying on a bunch of true freshmen

Apr 23, 2014, 11:32 AM

but obviously they are all McD's AA's. They should be fine in the post and Paige is an all-league player, but they'll still have the same weakness as last season. Can't shoot 3's, except in Chapel Hole against us ;)

Re: See I think the league will be down next year

Apr 23, 2014, 12:12 PM [ in reply to See I think the league will be down next year ]

You are correct that the league loses a lot of talent. And this out of a league that turned out not to be nearly as good as most of us wanted to think when all was said and done. But a troubling part is that once again I am reading excuses folks are already building in case CU doesn't make the NCAAs next year. Somehow, I suppose because they play hard, everyone wants to hold on to the idea that BB is some sort of basketball genius that is somehow still held back by taking over the sorry program left to him by OP. OPs last three teams went to the NCAA. And contrary to popular opinion, he left enough talent to get there in BBs first season. Now those days weren't exactly a high point in the history of basketball, but those were the salad days compared to the last three years. Bottom line, is if it's going to get done, it is time to get it done.

Did you even watch this past season?

Apr 23, 2014, 1:48 PM

Finishing above .500 and 6th in a league they were picked 14th in? The talent OP left, left after the first year in Stitt and Grant. Andre Young was a nice player but hardly a leading man, and Tanner Smith was a role player period. Don't even mention Milt, Bobo, and Narcisse. Booker was a 4 year underachiever, and don't blame the coach for that. Last year, with all of his players, Brownell far exceeded expectations outside the program and from most fans. This season, everyone will point to us losing KJ, ignoring the fact every team that finished ahead of us lost more. The program turned the corner last year once players who actually bought in to BB's approach were on the floor. That will only continue this year. As for OP, I was a fan, but his best team, lost in the first round, as did his others that made the dance. His style, while exciting, limited us as teams that could break a press destroyed us, and he would not shift out of it. Brownell has adjusted with each team he's put on the court. That's the mark of good coaching. It's what guys like K do. Next season, with a more experienced Nnoko and guys who can actually shoot, we'll be more inside out. And the defense, as always, will be oppresive

It was easy to forget this past season that Blossomgame

Apr 23, 2014, 3:49 PM [ in reply to See I think the league will be down next year ]

was a freshman - he showed strong signs of a tremendous upside, and another off-season of practice and conditioning could put him over the top for his upcoming sophomore season.

Roper showed a lot of improvement down the stretch and is poised to be a major contributor next season. Add in the new arrivals, who can add some production early on, and I see us improving by a game or two and making the tourney next season, even with KJ gone.

There really isn't anyone on our roster that's not capable of putting in quality minutes - that goes a long way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm thinking DeVoe is capable of playing the point as well

Apr 22, 2014, 8:41 PM

should the need arise. He looks to be a great passer and ball handler.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 8
| visibility 939
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic