Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Soooo....am I the only one with renewed concern about our D?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Soooo....am I the only one with renewed concern about our D?

Nov 19, 2012, 9:04 AM

NCState just hung 600 yards of total offense on us. The only way we were able to stop them was by our O holding the ball for the last 7 1/2 minutes of the game.

In particular, we seemed to struggle against the long pass. And the short pass. And the medium pass.

I thought we kept the medium-short pass in check though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Soooo....am I the only one with renewed concern about our D?

Nov 19, 2012, 9:05 AM

It is a concern...but we won by 2 touchdowns and put up over 60 points ourselves

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Renewed concern no, concern YES!!**

Nov 19, 2012, 9:06 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeap

Nov 19, 2012, 9:07 AM

For me, I never had renewed concern for our D. I've always had concern over our D.

But keep in mind, 24-27 points came off kick-returns, turnovers or just plain stupid coaching decisions on the other side of the ball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know they had a couple of cheap touchdowns, but that

Nov 19, 2012, 9:21 AM

kept their total yards DOWN.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I though the defense took a step backwards on Saturday....

Nov 19, 2012, 9:07 AM

but you have to credit NCSU for some of that. Dana Bible is a good OC who put together a solid game plan, and Glennon, a darn good QB IMO, executed it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Now, how did you arrive at that?***

Nov 19, 2012, 9:43 AM

Conner Shaw is not Mike Glennon

Nov 19, 2012, 9:08 AM

He is a decent QB, but there are several passes that Glennon made that I dont see Shaw coming close to making.

True...but Shaw will run

Nov 19, 2012, 9:10 AM

which is what Superior wants him to do to open up the defense and then throw the ball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

He won't have to be Mike Glennon to hurt us.

Nov 19, 2012, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Conner Shaw is not Mike Glennon ]

He probably isn't capable of making all the throws that NFL scouts look for, and he probably won't have the kind of day Glennon had against us; but he is very capable of getting the ball to his receivers when they get behind our DBs, which I'm sure they will at some point, which will result in big gains and most likely points. Plus, he is a much better runner and scrambler than Glennon, which will make it more difficult for our DBs to cover their WRs.

I'm hoping our D-line pressures him all day, and that the light comes on for our DBs and they play the game of their lives. If not, expect the coots to score some points.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Everybody has scored some point on us this year....

Nov 19, 2012, 9:27 AM

and this Saturday's game will be no different. Of course, I don't think anyone was expecting a shut-out anyway. We don't have to stop them on every series. We just have to stop them more than they stop us. If Clemson takes care of the ball and doesn't turn it over, Clemson wins.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

over the middle passes and kickoff returns

Nov 19, 2012, 9:09 AM

was about 90% of NCSU's offense Saturday.

Re: That short pass over the middle will be a good part of

Nov 19, 2012, 9:50 AM

SC offense too.

FOUR One-play drives? We should just keep a safety deeeep

on every play! They may run the ball, but I would prefer that to the bombs I saw Saturday!

Yes! # 5 Meeks is the answer for a deep safety!***

Nov 19, 2012, 9:25 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not me.

Nov 19, 2012, 10:22 AM [ in reply to FOUR One-play drives? We should just keep a safety deeeep ]

The only way teams will beat us is with a ball control offense. The only way our offense doesn't score is if they are sitting on the sideline, as a team is methodically running the ball down our throats, and chewing clock. That is why our defense needs to pressure the QB and stop the run. If the only option opposing offenses have is to throw the ball with pressure in the QB's face then they will either go 3 and out or score quickly. A very good QB will still be able to find the open man but I still think our offense outscores our opponent, as long as they aren't on the sideline. Not to mention the fact that very good QB's are rare in college football.

To win the next 2 games, Clemson will need to score 50

at a minimum to even have a chance. You would think at some point in the third quarter someone in the Clemson secondary would say to themselves...hey this guy just ran past/underneath me and is open, I think I need to cover him. Just my 2 cents.

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Why should you be? We held NCSU below 600 yards!***

NC State nearly hung 50 on us.

Nov 19, 2012, 9:10 AM

Of course I'm concerned. Our corners and safeties can't stop an opponent from passing gas.

yet top 10 K State and Oklahoma allowed even more

Nov 19, 2012, 9:12 AM

points than we did.

so that's time to celebrate?***

Nov 19, 2012, 9:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

labeling that post as celebratory is a big big stretch

Nov 19, 2012, 9:21 AM

just pointing out that the world is not coming apart when you give up a big number----if you match and exceed that number yourself.

This ain't the age of 14-10 games anymore.

And K-State lost, While OK was playing WVU

Nov 19, 2012, 9:26 AM [ in reply to yet top 10 K State and Oklahoma allowed even more ]

who, if you remember put 70 on us last year. These are not encouraging facts.

You are concerned about giving up 48 to a team that...

Nov 19, 2012, 9:17 AM

scored 6 against UVA 2 weeks ago? Yea, I would say there is pretty good reason to be concerned. The defense is a lost cause this year. We just have to win these games by outscoring our opponents.

Nov 19, 2012, 9:18 AM

Yes, I'm still concerned too. But we scored 42 unanswered points. So we did get a few stops. Also, 2 or 3 of their tds were thrown as Glennon was on the way to the ground. Not everyone can make those throws.

Nov 19, 2012, 9:27 AM

You are not going to hold SC scoreless, just need to keep the D line fresh and when they get the opportunity, put a smackdown on Conner Shaw...if they hit him enough times by the time the fourth qtr rolls around...Clemson will have had the game put away.

Nov 19, 2012, 9:32 AM

Our D Line was getting ridiculous penetration on their OL. The problem was that most times Glennon felt the pressure and was able to get off a pass in time over our weak ### secondary.

Same concern I've had all along

Nov 19, 2012, 9:34 AM

I really hope we don't go to a BCS bowl. It might make the WVU game look like a nail-biter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely showed the cracks in our secondary and ST defense

Nov 19, 2012, 10:34 AM

If we let Carolina start at the 50 on every drive, we're gonna have a bad time.

That being said I still think we score enough points to win this year, but I'm definitely nervous.

Nov 19, 2012, 10:46 AM

I for one totally expected that Glennon could toast our secondary. I know I posted that prior to that game, but won't bother to link it.

Anyway, Glennon is the type of QB that CAN toast a secondary if it is weak. Shaw is NOT. Yeah - he might get 1 of those like Glennon did, but Shaw is not consistent enough to burn us deep like that. Plus USUC doesn't really have great receivers that can get behind us like that. Maybe Ellington or Sanders can do it, but Ellington might still be injured. We will have to keep up with Sanders, and we will be fine.

Bottom line - we still need to score 50+ to beat them, and that might be an issue if Clowney is healthy again. Our D will not help very much. If USUC scores 50, they will win. PERIOD. Let's hope our D shows up, or our O once again brings another incredible game.

Don't you hate it when you have 62 points on the scoreboard, and you're still wondering if you have enough?

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic