Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
KB vs TL - how I think it will play out
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

KB vs TL - how I think it will play out

May 22, 2018, 12:50 PM

With all of Kelly Bryant's experience and talent it would be more than you can reasonably expect to think that Trevor Lawrence will be named the starter in game one. Yet the coaches are not blind to his talent and upside; so what to do?

Here is how I would handle it and my guess the coaches have already come to this conclusion:

KB starts game one (Furman - home), game two (Texas A&M on the road), and probably game three (Georgia Southern - home). The plan, open to in-game adjustment, is for KB to start and TL to start the second half of each game.

The way to settle this whole debate is on the field in real games. Our season opens with an ideal opportunity to really test this out. Win the starter position on the field, not in practice.

I recognize A&M could be a challenging game since it is on the road and versus Jimbo Fisher who may have something cooked up to stymie the Tigers. That's why I say game-day situations will determine exactly what happens of course.

My belief is that TL is the better QB and gives us the best chance to win the National Championship. I also think that some are already so used to being in the playoffs that they don't realize how fortunate we have been to even compete for that crown the last few years. So easy to miss the chance - we made it despite blowing games to (OMG) Syracuse and Pitt! With our whole DL moving on at the end of this year we need to make the most of this opportunity as it may not come around again in another year.

The Spring Game allowed TL to prove that he is in the conversation as a starter. Let's give him a chance to prove it in a real game or two. The same is true for Kelly - if he is the guy, if his experience and athleticism makes him the best then it will clearly show out in the first few games.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree***

May 22, 2018, 12:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree***

May 22, 2018, 1:49 PM

I agree that it is easier to recover from a slip up at the start of the season than it is that last of the season unless you are Bama. With that said, I say throw TL in there at the beginning and let him get very valuable experience from the start of the season. He, TL will be a starter before the season is done, so start him now!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KB vs TL - how I think it will play out

May 22, 2018, 1:00 PM

Kelly is going to struggle at some point this season. Coaches would be smart to insert Trevor in the game when this happens. We'll see where it goes from there. I think it will happen sooner than most think...game 2 at Texas AM. If Kelly struggles and Trevor shows out, that's all she wrote.

I think it's going to be pretty simple - DS will start KB...

May 22, 2018, 1:14 PM

in the first game and work TL in at some point for playing time this season when he can. If KB is doing well then DS will bring TL along carefully. But he won't just dump KB for TL. TL will have to show he's the better choice to be QB.

Personally, I hope KB can get the job done this season to where TL doesn't have to "take over" as some people want. But if it's smarter to play TL, then that's what DS will do.

I don't see DS making the same kind of mistake he made with DW and CS when DW was a freshman. CS was clearly the weaker of the two.

Re: I think it's going to be pretty simple - DS will start KB...

May 22, 2018, 1:51 PM

Who do you think was better CS or KB?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2018, 1:10 PM

Ideal place for TL to take over would be the bye week. Having said that I agree with the above poster that says it should happen when KB struggles. I am of the opinion that you never want to force a young QB into a bad situation. A&M on the road is a tough atmosphere to be successful early. Yes he needs his shot, but don't ruin him by forcing him to start that game. Anytime after that and we are in good shape.

The key in all of this is to use Clemson's offense to its full capability regardless of the starter. Sure, KB will get more designed runs but don't let either QB limit the playbook. They have very contrasting styles and it will be hard to prepare every game for both.

null

May 22, 2018, 3:55 PM

So you know TL is better. The coaches know TL is better. The players know TL is better. But because of some moral code KB deserves to start the first few games so it looks like we gave him a chance?

Its all or nothing this year. National Championship or bust. I don't want to have to get behind in a game and then bring in TL to save the season.

Play the best guy. If TL is the best out of fall camp start him game 1. Simple as that

Remember in 2014

May 22, 2018, 4:15 PM

when CS would struggle to get the offense going early on in games, sometimes painfully ... and it would literally look and feel like a switch had been flipped when DS would come in. Explosive plays looked possible with every snap. You could sense the entire mentality and confidence of the offense boost tremendously.

Will be interesting to see if we see anything similar in 2018.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic