Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best Movie before 1960 Poll
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Best Movie before 1960 Poll

Apr 1, 2020, 1:47 PM

from the 1920-30's.

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

What is your favorite old movie    [Results]

Pandara's Box
Gone with the Wind
Casablanca
Wizard of Oz
Ben-Hur
other
2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best Movie Poll

Apr 1, 2020, 1:53 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 2:10 PM

Deliverance

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 2:44 PM

Yep! Must have seen it a hundred times... Squeal piggy!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't meet the criteria of the OP.

Apr 1, 2020, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Best Movie Poll ]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068473/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

TRIVIA: You may already know, but James Dickey, the writer

Apr 1, 2020, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Best Movie Poll ]

of the book, taught at SCar and was the sheriff at the end of the movie.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: TRIVIA: You may already know, but James Dickey, the writer

Apr 1, 2020, 5:56 PM

Yes, and it was filmed above Westminster on the Chattooga River. I'm from Oconee County, my dad from Westminster and my mom from Walhalla. I have a cousin who met Burt Reynolds during the filming.

And the bag guys in that movie? Yep, there used to be some people up there like that. Most lived on the other side of the river in Georgia. But there were also some up in the mountains on the SC side. Very, very rough people.

When I was 10, I was at my grandfather's in Westminster. My great-uncle Lem pulled up and I walked over to his car. In the passenger seat was a teenaged boy with a towel over his face. Just as I walked up to the door he moved the towel down and his face was covered with blood.

The boy had been running around the woods and stumbled on a still. The owners were there, beat the boy near to death and one of them carved his initials in the boys' face. Uncle Lem had found him on the side of the road trying to get help and was taking him to the hospital. My grandfather was a preacher and Lem wanted him to go with him to the hospital.

I'll never forget that. It was rough up there in the mountains back in the early 60's.

Re: TRIVIA: You may already know, but James Dickey, the writer

Apr 1, 2020, 6:13 PM [ in reply to TRIVIA: You may already know, but James Dickey, the writer ]

Got to see Dickey in person read the running the rapids portion of Deliverance. I think it was in Daniel Auditorium. He was there to read his poetry but said he would read that due to the urging of the Clemson Whitewater Club. Very moving.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Correct. Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago if we go even

Apr 1, 2020, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Best Movie Poll ]

older.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't meet the criteria of the OP

Apr 1, 2020, 3:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Best Movie Poll ]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/

Re: Doesn't meet the criteria of the OP

Apr 1, 2020, 4:09 PM

it's my bad. I only included movies from 1920-1930. I changed it after there were several posts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 4:58 PM

Don't let the crowd dictate. Just change the subject line.

Screw the idiots who can't follow directions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2020, 2:57 PM

Lol, what?

When he first posted the headline was "Greatest Movie of All Time." Nothing mentioned about made before a certain date

He later went back and changed it so that some of the responses didn't meet his newly established criteria

Lighten up Francis

Reign of Fire***

Apr 1, 2020, 2:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I loved it when the dragon won!***

Apr 1, 2020, 4:13 PM

Several people have told me I remind them of...

Apr 1, 2020, 5:40 PM

Denton Van Zan, with better hair.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Apr 1, 2020, 2:06 PM

sequel to quest for fire?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 1, 2020, 2:12 PM

Maybe, Saving Private Ryan.

Apr 1, 2020, 3:15 PM

Love Saving Private Ryan but there are 3-4 scenes in that movie I just can’t watch again.

I’ll throw a couple out there for discussion:
A River Runs Through It
Legends of the Fall

how old are you? ;-)***

Apr 1, 2020, 2:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm 51. Should have used a different subject title

Apr 1, 2020, 2:33 PM

Something like "Classics from the 1920 and 1930's"

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

Re: I'm 51. Should have used a different subject line.

Apr 1, 2020, 2:36 PM

You're still a young man, Myfav;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 2:28 PM

Apr 1, 2020, 5:29 PM

I think this is one on Nicholas Cage’s best movies. Funny funny movie. Raising Arizona!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 2:30 PM

Personally, I really like the Ben Hur movie, but I like most Medieval Movies!!! And Kingdom of Heaven is one of many favorites!!!

Apr 1, 2020, 2:30 PM

The Ten Commandments
Casablanca
The Dirty Dozen

Apr 1, 2020, 2:50 PM

Ten Commandments!!!! Great choice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 2:55 PM

should be coming on soon.

Re: Best Movie Pole

Apr 1, 2020, 2:34 PM

Striptease

or did you mean a different kind of pole?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Best Movie Pole

Apr 1, 2020, 2:49 PM

I would have thought you were a little older. Guess you age well.

Well, post the rest or does that cost more?

Apr 1, 2020, 2:54 PM

Young Frankenstein is my pick from the 20's and 30's. Black and white technology ahead of its time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please change thread title to "Best Movie Before 1960"***

Apr 1, 2020, 3:07 PM

Best Is The Standard

Re: Please change thread title to "Best Movie Before 1960"***

Apr 1, 2020, 3:15 PM

1950s ----- No contest - HIGH NOON Gary Cooper & Grace Kelly

How's that?

Apr 1, 2020, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Please change thread title to "Best Movie Before 1960"*** ]

:)

Apr 1, 2020, 3:14 PM

Reading for comprehension is rarer than I thought. Of the era asked about, I'd say John Ford's "Stage Coach" would be 1 followed closely by "Casablanca".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No Alfred Hitchcock fans here?!?!?

Apr 1, 2020, 3:37 PM

Vertigo, North by Northwest, Rear Window, Psycho
At least one of these should be on a list like this.

Loved Vertigo

Apr 1, 2020, 3:59 PM

My cousin, who lived in Oakland, took me on the Vertigo Tour while I was visiting her. We went to all the sites in and around San Francisco where Vertigo was filmed.

Re: Loved Vertigo

Apr 1, 2020, 4:03 PM

From Here to Eternity.

This may not be the "best ever", but it's a ### good movie!

Apr 1, 2020, 4:11 PM

It is a stunning film, both hilarious in parts and incredibly unnerving in others. It is a helll of a ride.

Re: Best Movie before 1960 Poll

Apr 1, 2020, 4:28 PM

Ben-Hur

Apr 1, 2020, 5:25 PM

Great Movie. Charlton Heston was one of my favorite actors.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 5:23 PM

The Thin Man series with William Powell, My Man Godfrey, The Baron and the Baroness with William Powell, A Stranger in Town with Frank Morgan. All movies that are most of the time free on YouTube. All B & W movies.

Apr 1, 2020, 5:35 PM

All great movies MyfavOrange! Good subject helps take your mind off of our current crisis. Plus it gives others ideas for movies to watch.

I don’t know if this is a 90’s movie or one from 2000’s but “Lucky Number Slevin” is a great movie. If you watch it or have already seen it I would like to know your thoughts about it. Thank you.

Pray that everyone is staying healthy and safe.

Apr 1, 2020, 5:50 PM

We are doing great and staying safe. Hope you and wueagle86daughter are staying safe.

Apr 1, 2020, 5:52 PM

We are. Take tare of MyfavOrange Jr. Great kid!

Apr 1, 2020, 5:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Best Movie before 1960 Poll ]

The wizard of Oz with Pink Floyd’s dark side of the moon playing in sync. Smoke 1 blunt, turn on the album at the same time the MGM lions roar appears on screen and it will change your life forever!

I cant even pick my favorite movie from 1939.

Apr 1, 2020, 6:15 PM

There were a bunch of good ones.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: I cant even pick my favorite movie from 1939.

Apr 6, 2020, 4:25 PM

Yes. What a year for movies.

The original The Day the Earth Stood Still. Gort! Klaatu

Apr 1, 2020, 9:22 PM

Barada Nikto!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2020, 12:07 AM

Old Yellow.......

The Searchers 1956.***

Apr 2, 2020, 7:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least half the movies mentioned in this thread aren't

Apr 2, 2020, 7:58 AM

even old!

In addition to the ones in the poll, here are some other great pre-1960 movies:

-Anything Hitchcock. He has like a half dozen absolute classics (Psycho is 1960 but that's close enough)

-Citizen Kain

-The Maltese Falcon

-The Bridge on the River Kwai

-Mutiny on the Bounty

-It's a Wonderful Life

-On the Waterfront

-Double Indemnity

There are plenty more too. These are just ones I've seen and i was born in '82 and hardly a classic movie buff so i feel these should be accessible to pretty much anyone that enjoys movies.

Apr 2, 2020, 9:51 AM

Try “Operation Petticoat”. It’s a little easier on the mind.

Citizen Kane*

Apr 6, 2020, 4:09 PM

Nm

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic