Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Regarding Tommy Bowden
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Regarding Tommy Bowden

Aug 1, 2013, 1:01 AM

If I am understanding this correctly and tommy Bowden recommended Dabo take his place when he was leaving, then tommy Bowden earned every penny owed him through the remainder of his contract. Dabo is a terrific face for the Clemson program. He has done nothing but good things. I'm a huge Dabo fan!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said

Aug 1, 2013, 1:59 AM

point for you!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well said

Aug 1, 2013, 11:24 PM

I'd rather have given the money to Dabo to hire better assistants than Kevin Steele and Billy Napier out of the gate.

But it looks like we are finally on track

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo

Aug 1, 2013, 7:05 AM

Sure, the wheels sort of fell off during that last season, but I think that Tommy always loved Clemson and gave us his best, even in departing. He didn't leave with a grudge or anything like that. In fact, I understand that he dropped by Dabo's office shortly after. I also think that Tommy pulled the program out of the difch and put it on the road to winning.

Agree

Aug 1, 2013, 10:46 AM

History is going to be much nicer to Bowden than right now.

For all his faults Bowden did get us turned around from the lost decade of the 1990's. He got the facility upgrades started, got recruiting repaired, and got us back on the winning track. He just couldn't turn the corner.

If I were in a position of influence I would recommend Bowden to any program trying to turn things around. I would, however, suggest that once things were turned around he be shown the door.

He still owes me restitution for having to witness

Aug 1, 2013, 7:15 AM

that beat-down at Wake Forest ... 45-0 before Grobe called off the dogs.

And having to listen to the Wake fan yelling "come back Clemson fans, you only need 12 more FG's"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He still owes me restitution for having to witness

Aug 1, 2013, 7:23 AM

true. TB did not succeed at CU but he could beat USC. Dabo needs some pages from that book otherwise he is creating a monster

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2013, 7:52 AM

That monster was created in the late 1800's just waiting to grow up. They just stayed in the pits of hell for a very long time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2013, 8:22 AM

Time to put them back there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People have to understand that.....

Aug 1, 2013, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: He still owes me restitution for having to witness ]

those U$Uc teams were completely different that what Dabo has had to contend with the last few years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While this is true, we also have much better teams.***

Aug 1, 2013, 10:24 AM

Re: While this is true, we also have much better teams.***

Aug 1, 2013, 10:38 AM

so our ad fires a guy for losing games and control of the team but ask the guy who he is firing who he should hire to replace him? does any one else see this as bit of a stretch as far as logic is concerned? anyone think dabo had anything to do with tb getting canned? anything?

Aug 1, 2013, 10:55 AM

I don't think Bowden was hated or seen as totally incompetent. It's not hard to imagine his opinion carried some weight. After all, he hired Swinney and oversaw some decent recruiting during his tenure. He just wasn't a winning enough head coach.

And to my point in the subject - I've hired someone under a short term contract as a consultant that I let go a year before that. Sometimes it is a matter of circumstances that mean you fire somebody. He wanted to rise to a position he wasn't capable of. But he was an expert about the matter that he is now a consultant on. Not everybody that is fired is a total loser.....

Aug 1, 2013, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: While this is true, we also have much better teams.*** ]

At that point Bowden had to be fired. He had already made it clear he wasn't going to fire assistants and someone had to be held responsible. That doesn't mean he was a bad coach or person but the situation called for a move to be made. I am sure Bowden understood the situation as well as anyone. Also Bowden didn't recommend Dabo as the permanent head coach he recommended him to take over for the interim. Dabo earned the job with the remainder of the season.

null

Aug 1, 2013, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Re: While this is true, we also have much better teams.*** ]

If Dabo would have had anything to do with TB's firing. Do you really think that TB would still be friends with Dabo. When TB was fired, He, TB told TD that Dabo would be the best to take us through the season until he found another HC. Dabo worked his AS$ off pulling the team back together and salvaged the season. And for that, TDP gave Dabo a chance to become a HC. That is what I do believe!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's because USuC could barely beat Furman between

Aug 1, 2013, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Re: He still owes me restitution for having to witness ]

1999-2008

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I thought Dabo was already on the radar

Aug 1, 2013, 10:21 AM

Because of the talent he recruited under Bowden and the success of coaching receivers. So, if Bowden actually made a recommendation it was probably just icing on the cake for the decision makers.

Never thought of it that way

Aug 1, 2013, 10:21 AM

I guess you're right. We could be in a MUCH worse situation right now had he recommended someone else, you never know.

I remember fans wanting Lane Kiffin

Aug 1, 2013, 11:49 AM

Did we dodge a bullet on that one, or what?!

UT is STILL recovering from that fiasco

Re: I remember fans wanting Lane Kiffin

Aug 1, 2013, 10:18 PM

also a lot wanted Paul Johnson from Ga Tech and Davis from UNCheat

Re: Regarding Tommy Bowden

Aug 1, 2013, 12:11 PM

True. Maybe the president should have fired TDP after he let Tommy go and hired him for our AD.

Aug 1, 2013, 1:18 PM

I agree with most of this; however, you can't overlook the fact that Tommy basically played us for more money and a contract extension with the whole Arkansas thing.

i don't for 1 minute believe he really wanted to go to Arkansas. It was just a power play for job security.

Not saying I completely blame him, but it's something that doesn't sit too well with me regardless.

Life can only be understood backwards

Aug 2, 2013, 7:01 AM

but it must be lived forwards

Aug 2, 2013, 8:12 AM

First off I am glad we have Dabo. We are getting to where Clemson should be. There is absolutely no reason to settle for not being great in everything ( all sports). We are Clemson! Great coaches win games period. You can take coaches from the hs level and if they are winners every year and play for championships year in and year out then they can coach and be a winner anywhere. The head coach doesn't have to do all the coaching but he has to have the team of winning coaches and the head coach just has to make great decisions in game time situations. Ex. The Chad and mckissick of Summerville and babb of greenwood are good coaches. Not so much with miles of lsu. Poor clock management time and time again. I would put Bowden in there too. Ex taking out Reggie in sc game and allowing the statement pulling a Clemson even though that has passed lately, they still use it. Espn has to throw jabs when it can to justify higher poll rankings Also kicking a field goal late in the gt game in atl from inside the ten to still be down by three I think with little time on the clock. That makes no sense to me. You go for the touchdown. Great coaches figure out how to win With the talent they have. Play the best players! Learn from mistakes. Coach em up! Be tough on the players and expect success 100 % of the time and to play until the whistle blows, whether blocking or trying to tackle the guy or stripping the ball if you are the second guy. You only have to score more points than the defense gives up to win aka Ford teams. Blowing teams out takes the refs out if the game for the most part. You recruit players that you need to fill positions. That is where colleges have an advantage over hs coaches. Players have to play in games to develop. They do make mistakes and good coaches correct them. We have good coaches now that we expect greatness from by winning every game. Time will tell. Winning brings talent to a program too! Go Tigers

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regardless of peoples' opinions, Bowden brought greater

Aug 2, 2013, 8:26 AM

national exposure due to the name and his rivalry against his Dad. He ran a clean program and was generally well-liked early on. The problem was he was a good coach, not a great one, and in the post-Ford days most of the Clemson faithful remained highly critical of any coach who faltered.

That he was willing to give it his best shot was commendable. That his best shot didn't live up to expectations is why he no longer is HC. And that's the way the old ball bounces sometimes, and why I hold no grudges against him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

D@mn Hartins that was a good post. What happened?***

Aug 2, 2013, 10:16 AM

null

Must be that vodka and milk concoction he mentions in

Aug 2, 2013, 10:19 AM

another post.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Vodka+Milk=Ghey***

Aug 2, 2013, 10:23 AM

null

Tommy Bowden was a mistake from the beginning.***

Aug 2, 2013, 10:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks Tommy..........

Aug 2, 2013, 10:33 AM

for resigning......I mean quitting.......umm, getting fired.......I mean mutually agreeing to step down! Best day of my Clemson life in the last 10 years!

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic