Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reflections on a game unattended - long
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1
   | View Original Thread |

Reflections on a game unattended - long

Sep 10, 2012, 9:34 PM

Executive Summary: A newbie family went to the game and came away believers and fans.

A few months ago, I was chatting with a colleague at work and asked him about his kids, one of whom is a senior in high school. I jokingly asked him if his son had thought about attending Clemson. Now this guy has known me for 20 years, ever since I have been at my current employer, and I think he has always thought I am a bit crazy about Clemson – what with “orange shirt Fridays”, the Clemson stuff in my office and the orange car that I used to drive. I expected him to laugh and make some comment about my insanity. Instead, he just smiled, shook his head and said that actually his kids really like Clemson, after going to basketball camp there and having an opportunity to meet some of the football players on a separate occasion.

I had a previous engagement this weekend and knew I would not be ableto attend the game, so fast forward to about two weeks ago….

When I bumped into this gentleman in the hallway I asked him if he was interested in tickets to the Clemson – Ball State game. He said he was. I told him that if he takes his kids, they would be hooked and I couldn’t wait to see him pay out of state tuition (we live in NC). I gladly offered the tickets and he accepted.

Game on…
Needless to say, I couldn’t wait to see what his impressions were, knowing that over the past 20 years, he would jokingly roll his eyes as I would start to wax poetic about my beloved Tigers and the wonderful time I spent in Utopia, aka Clemson University. I wasn’t sure what to expect.

“How was it?”
Today I asked him how the game was. He looked at me, smiled and absolutely glowed. Friends, it was obvious that Clemson family was on full display in all of its glory. He was absolutely blown away. He commented on the lavish tailgating – tents, generators (he didn’t know they could be so quiet), satellite dishes and TVs. More that that, he was impressed by you, the people. He described the tailgaters as nice, polite, professional – not the type of a somewhat drunken crowd he has seen at professional games. He enjoyed letting his kids hang out at a friend’s tailgate and soak in the atmosphere. I explained to him that we go to the games to celebrate being part of Clemson, not to harass other fans. We love just being there with our family. That must have been obvious this Saturday because he nodded in agreement. I think he finally understood all of my “craziness” about Clemson

He commented on the unbelievably attractive young ladies and how he watched his son watch them. “Son, do you think you could study here?” He said that in the stadium, you are part of the game. He loved the campus – seeing the lake and mountains from my seats. I got the opportunity to tell the Daniel Rodriguez story when he asked why the stadium went berserk when a 3rd or 4th string WR went in late in the game. I was so proud of Dabo’s character and Mr. Rodriguez’ character and the fact that they are both associated with my Clemson.

In summary…
I told him that I was just glad that maybe now he doesn’t think that 8992Tiger is all that crazy after all. He said that if he still had his old truck, he might paint it orange, like 8992Tiger’s old car.

Folks, I could go on and on, but I’ll just say that it was a pleasure to see that the Clemson spirit, that “something in these hills,” is alive and well and hopefully calling another family into our family. As Dabo said, if we get someone on the campus, Clemson will sell itself. That is so true.

I have no doubt that Clemson is special. The Alumni association, athletic department and the administration do much to keep it that way. We have MUCH to be thankful for. Talking to this gentleman reminded me of that so clearly. That experience was worth more to me than any money I could have gotten for the tickets, and I believe it was good for Clemson because we now have another family in North Carolina who “gets it”. Try giving your tickets to a first-timer… what an experience. I doubt my friend will jokingly roll his eyes when I talk about Clemson form now on; I suspect he will just nod in agreement.

A “thank you” to all who are part of the Clemson family for making it what it is.

Go Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 1
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic