Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruiting rankings matter?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Recruiting rankings matter?

Jun 22, 2018, 1:45 PM

3 Stars or lower according to Rivals that helped Clemson win a national championship: Jordan Leggett, Wayne Gallman, Tankersley, Marcus Edmunds, Ryan Carter, Jay Guillermo, Justin Falcinelli, Taylor Hearn, CJ Fuller, Jadar Johnson, Kendall Joseph, Judah and JD Davis, Tanner Muse, Van Smith, K'Von Wallace, Isaiah Simmons, Anchrum, Skalski and Hunter Renfrow. Those are guys that played major roles in Clemson winning a national championship. I'm sure I am forgetting some but you get the point. It's not about recruiting rankings where they rank guys on a number of different things one being how many offers a recruit has which has nothing to do with on the field performance. Our coaches recruit a guy by not only how they fit on the field but how they fit in the locker room. These coaches have over 100+ years of combined experience. So you'll have to excuse most of us rational fans when we look at you guys that whine like a 3 year old "oh man not anotter pree tar" "I fought we bere WRU not 3*U" you know things you'd expect you 2 year old daughter to say not grown as* men who know how this works. Like I have said many time before, if you don't like it there are plenty of other teams to root for and I'm sure the Bama bandwagon can hitch another wagon on for you to jump on. If not then quit acting as if you know more than our coaches. Also recruiting is big business and these sites aren't dumb. They know people want to know about uncommitted guys and not just uncommitted guys but highly ranked uncommitted guys. So you aren't going to tell me a few guys here and there aren't receiving a bump so these sites can squeeze another subscriber or 12. I'm done though because I know I'd have better results screaming at the sidewalk then some of you so called fans.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Recruiting rankings matter?

Jun 22, 2018, 1:48 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Jun 22, 2018, 2:12 PM

I should pay you for how hard I'm laughing!!

Yes, recruiting rankings matter.

Jun 22, 2018, 1:57 PM

There's an even longer list of 2-3 star recruits in the Swinney era that either did not contribute at all or contributed very little. Blue chip recruits hit more often than 3* recruits and that's just a fact.

That said, the sky definitely isn't falling in regards to the 2019 class. This was kind of expected given the need to sign about 30 players this year. As long as we get enough cream at the top of this class we will be 100% fine. Some of these 3* guys will hit.

Jun 22, 2018, 2:04 PM

They're not perfect but they do matter. When we won we were kind of an outlier in terms of recruiting rankings over a 4-5 year span. This isn't a bad class and it will probably only get better.

The only real concern I have is with OL recruiting. Things can certainly change but as of now we're doing pretty poorly and getting beaten for targets and their fallbacks. Some teams like ND are punching above their weight class right now, especially along the OL (two first rounds picks help there), and they may have a hard time hanging onto all of them if they struggle this season, which seams like a real possibility. We could potentially pry some one or two guys away, although that may not be likely.

We have hit on some offensive lineman though, have to keep Trevor protected so he can do his thing and make D-coordinators tear all their hair out.

Sounds like something i'd hear on 107.5 in columbia....

Jun 22, 2018, 2:16 PM

While I agree with your premise...i'd never say that outloud b/c it sounds like something a loser would try to prove to a winner. So i may think we are fine with 3 star heavy classs but i'd never try to make the argument that 3 stars are just as good as a class full of 5 stars.. I think the case you should make the priority (which you alluded to it somewhat) is that its the COACHES that are making the evaluations are what creates championships.

Heres the recipe for a championship team: A solid group of well coached 3's and 4's, sprinkled with the leadership of a handfull of 5 stars.

We don't win a championship without Deshaun. We dont' win an ACC championship without Tahj and Sammy. You take those cats off those teams and we meld back into the mix with all the other teams. You get over the hump with your superstars making superstar plays.

So they all matter. and you're right that the 3's and 4's made big plays down the stretch in that game. So you gotta have that solid base but its the 5 star stud that gets you there and gets you over that hump. We see the difference in our 5 star QB and our 4 star QB. 4star is a good player that can get us there with help but that 5 star wins the game for you.

Sigh

Jun 22, 2018, 2:23 PM

TAJH

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Sounds like something i'd hear on 107.5 in columbia....

Jun 22, 2018, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Sounds like something i'd hear on 107.5 in columbia.... ]

Pretty much nailed it El Tigre! I think you want a mix of those talented three star guys that have the potential to be great and those 4 and 5 star guys that maybe have matured in their football skills a little faster. What I really like about our recruiting is that we are not doing like Bobby Bowden and the coaches at Miami were doing about 10 or 12 years ago when they were recruiting off of the recruiting rankings list and not spending a lot of time watching the guys play. I like what we are doing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Leadership isn't the sole providence of 5*s by any recount.***

Jun 22, 2018, 8:09 PM [ in reply to Sounds like something i'd hear on 107.5 in columbia.... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get it

Jun 22, 2018, 2:27 PM

Logan Cash is a monster. He's big, smart and fast off the ball. He has legs like tree trunks and a motor that doesn't quit. If he's a 3 star, the rating services are taking pot. It's crazy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't get it

Jun 22, 2018, 2:37 PM

He has pretty short arms, which they value a lot for doing rankings.

Jun 22, 2018, 5:05 PM

T-Rex had short little arms . You telling me T-Rex wasn't a disruptive force ?

Before the asteroid , anyway .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 22, 2018, 6:39 PM

No, I'm just saying he does and that the people who do rankings look at things like that quite a bit. I mean heck Owen Pappoe is sliding down some rankings a bit after this junior year tape was actually pretty bad, and there were still people who work for Rivals surprised when Nakobe Dean was ranked higher than Pappoe because the latter is such an athletic freak.

And T-Rump has big hands, or so he says...***

Jun 22, 2018, 8:11 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't get it ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not this year they don't.***

Jun 22, 2018, 5:00 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Detecting a trend on the Clemson Updates I see when

Jun 22, 2018, 6:56 PM

I first click on Tigernet. If I see 3-star it is followed by the words, "committed to Clemson". If I see 4-star it is followed by the words "has been offered by Clemson". Can't remember the last time it didn't go that way.

Re: Detecting a trend on the Clemson Updates I see when

Jun 22, 2018, 8:05 PM

8 MORE MONTHS

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Luginbill needs a boot polisher... Bristol is 'bristling'...***

Jun 22, 2018, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Detecting a trend on the Clemson Updates I see when ]

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic