Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruiting Rankings during Dabo's era
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,118

Recruiting Rankings during Dabo's era

Jan 29, 2020, 12:46 PM

I compared the class rankings for CLEMSON, Bama, UGA, LSU and tOS from 2009 through this year, when Dabo had the final say. During this 12 year period averaging Rivals and 247 (they were actually pretty close)

Clemson's average rank was 15
Bama's average rank was 2
UGA was 6
LSU was 7
tOSU was 7

Since I used 12 years and 2 services, there were a total of 24 rankings for each team

Clemson had the lowest ranking of all 5 teams 13 times and the highest (If 2020 Rivals stands) 1 time
Bama's did not ever have the lowest ranking and had the highest ranking 18 times
UGA had the lowest ranking of all 5 teams 1 time and the highest ranking 4 times
LSU had the lowest ranking of all 5 teams 3 times and the highest ranking 1 time
tOSU had the lowest ranking of all 5 teams 7 times and never had the highest ranking

Taking into account where we are today and our achievements, this points to several indisputable (in my opinion) facts:

1) We do a great job of identifying talent and/or the type of players that succeed in our system
2) We develop talent as good or better than anybody
3) It doesn't matter how the rankings end up, our class is perfect for our our team.
4) The best is truly yet to come

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Recruiting Rankings during Dabo's era

Jan 29, 2020, 1:00 PM

Thank you!! Good work.

Jan 29, 2020, 1:03 PM

One interesting way some look at grading a staff on recruiting:

Look at the rating when offer is made and the rating later. IDing a kid before the rest of the nation does is a talent.

Sometimes a kid isn't seen as being good by most but a staff sees something and offers early, giving them a leg up. Then the kid goes to camps and excels for all to see. That is a staff doing a great job.

This is confounded, however, by the fact that some services will upgrade when some programs offer; this will happen when Clem, LSU, bama or OSU offer. In recent years this has proven to give them a more accurate grade of a kid.

Also know that the gurus talk to the recruiters.

Jan 29, 2020, 1:18 PM

I don't follow anyone else's recruiting, but Walker Parks is the perfect example of a staff seeing something that is good long before the recruiting services realize it.

Parks was rated as a low 3 star, got a Clemson offer at a camp, committed, and then hit the camp circuit following his commitment.

He is now ranked #49 in the 247 composite.

Huge climb that nobody saw coming until after he committed to Clemson.

I'm sure the other top programs have a guy or two like this as well.

Jan 29, 2020, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Recruiting Rankings during Dabo's era ]

I think for whatever reason, Players that sign with certain teams (Bama esp) are moved up in the rankings. So Bama winning recruiting rankings becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Point in case- Tim Smith, DT, this year (2020). He entered 2019 ranked near the bottom of 247's top 247. Clemson was interested, but we had others higher on our list. We got the players we wanted and there was no offer for Tim from Clemson at that point. He moves on, eventually signing with Bama. The analysts re-assess and "figure out" he was ranked too low. In the last ranking he is moved up to 28 and now a 5 star. I seriously doubt that severe of a ranking change is warranted.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2020, 1:04 PM

We get who Dabo wants.
Any more questions?

Jan 29, 2020, 1:32 PM

Like that ole song, the BEST IS YET TO COME

All in - I fully trust Dabo and his staff - end of story***

Jan 29, 2020, 1:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,118
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic