Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Recruiting

Jan 15, 2013, 10:09 AM

I know and appreciate the excitment around the first Wednesday in February, BUT, does anyone remember Billy Luckie? ANYONE??? #1 rated QB in the country from FL and SOMEHOW he ends up at Tommy West's Clemson...How many games did he start, win, number of championships?!? Recruiting is a crap shoot...Always has been, always will be...As long as we have coaches that know HOW to coach, we can get 25 1 or 2 stars and still win...Catanzaro was a WALK-ON!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness, Where the Tigers play...

Untrue. I f we signed 25 one or two stars, we would not win

Jan 15, 2013, 10:11 AM

And if we signed 25 four and five stars, we would win the majority of our games.

Stars aren't exact, but percentage wise, they do matter.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

you couldn't be more wrong.......

Jan 15, 2013, 10:18 AM

trust me....no matter how GREAT and powerful you think dabo is you DO NOT want to see him coach a team with 1/2star players we would get embarassed A LOT!!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you couldn't be more wrong.......

Jan 15, 2013, 11:56 AM

Well, any coaching staff I know would get embarrassed a lot with only 1 & 2 star players.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If recruiting is a crap shoot, then somebody needs to get

Jan 15, 2013, 10:22 AM

word to our coaches so they can just roll the dice instead of wasting so much time and resources evaluating and pursuing particular recruits.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

or just tell them to back off of adams and lawson..........

Jan 15, 2013, 10:23 AM

and get some 2stars to "coach up"

Or even better, just field a team made up entirely of

Jan 15, 2013, 10:39 AM

walk-ons. They would really appreciate the opportunity.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I remember Billy Lucky . . .

Jan 15, 2013, 10:27 AM

and don't believe that he was anywhere near the number one QB in the country coming out of high school.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember Billy Lucky . . .

Jan 15, 2013, 10:34 AM

Did he ever enroll at Clemson?

Re: I remember Billy Lucky . . .

Jan 15, 2013, 10:38 AM

Yes, and he had some success. I remember he started a game when the starting qb was injured and had a very good game. He was also recruited by Alabama. He was a highly recruited qb, but I agree with Surf Cat, he was definitely not the #1 qb prospect in the country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He definitely enrolled and was there for a couple years. He

Jan 15, 2013, 10:43 AM [ in reply to I remember Billy Lucky . . . ]

was the number 1 QB in Florida not the country. Highly touted kid. He smoked too much waky tabaky. I used to hang out with him in Mauldin Dorm back in 1996.

He wasn't the #1 rated QB in the country, I'm pretty sure,

Jan 15, 2013, 11:03 AM [ in reply to I remember Billy Lucky . . . ]

but he was highly rated and probably would have been a 4 or maybe even 5-star recruit in today's world. It proves nothing either way though, except that highly rated recruits often don't pan out, and nobody disputes that.

- H. L. Mencken

If I am trying to roll high numbers, don't give me dice with

Jan 15, 2013, 10:29 AM

only 1s and 2s on them.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am thinking about getting 25 people together

Jan 15, 2013, 10:37 AM

blindfolding them and then have them sprint back and forth across I-85 until only one is left. At that point I am going to claim that it is perfectly safe to run across I-85 blindfolded because I offer up one example of an individual that did it successfully despite the fact that the other 24 got flattened by an 18 wheeler.

Seems like that would be a reasonable argument to make, right OP?

Then you would be

Jan 15, 2013, 10:38 AM

Duke football.

Re: Recruiting

Jan 15, 2013, 10:40 AM

Gene Chizik sure had some good classes at Auburn...Talent helps a lot but you have to be able to coach too.

Bad example...Chizik won a title***

Jan 15, 2013, 10:45 AM

Re: Bad example...Chizik won a title***

Jan 15, 2013, 10:48 AM

What happened when his best player and coach left? He couldn't win

I could've won with Malzahn and Cam Newton. There's a reason he was known as "5-19 Gene" at Iowa State. Iowa State is a decent program now and he couldn't even win there.

I don't completely agree.

Jan 15, 2013, 10:46 AM

You always want to sign the highest rated player you can. Not all will pan out, but the odds are in your favor.

On the other hand, lower rated players can and often do out perform their 4 star counterparts.

Try to sign the best player possible, but don't overlook the others.

I am ALL IN!!!!!

Jan 15, 2013, 11:27 AM

I am old but I still have all 4 years of eligibility. If all it takes is good coaching, then put me in coach, I'm ready to play!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Billy Luckie was #13 on the field. Everyone loved him

Jan 15, 2013, 11:35 AM

but the word was, he couldnt learn the playbook.

Didn't Brandon Streeter beat him out?

Jan 15, 2013, 12:03 PM

And Luckie was nowhere near the #1 QB recruit in the country.

Re: Recruiting

Jan 15, 2013, 12:19 PM

As everyone above mentioned, you have a better chance at being an elite football team if you consistently sign classes filled with 4 and 5 star players. It really is simple statistics. You cannot apply that rule to the individual player, who may become a playmaker and outperform his recruiting ranking. But overall, you can make the general statement that a team full of 4-and-5 star players will be better than a team full of 1-and-2 star players.

These type of responses are so common, to pick out one or two instances where a 2 star player shine and a 5-star player does not. But the argument does not hold up over a large sample size.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic