Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recent Clemson FB Transfers--whatever happened to...?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Recent Clemson FB Transfers--whatever happened to...?

Apr 24, 2019, 1:44 PM

All this Feaster transfer talk has got me thinking about some of the other guys who've transferred out and where they ended up.

Kelly Bryant
Everyone knows about this one. Bryant transferred to Mizzou and found out that the NCAA was handing down a bowl ban right after he stepped on campus. Mizzou is appealing the NCAA ruling but Bryant has decided to stick around regardless. He's the favorite to win the starting job.

Josh Belk
Everyone probably knows about this one too. Belk was a highly-recruited D-Linemen who was an early enrollee in 2018 and set to make the two-deep. He unexpectedly decided to transfer before the season and was granted an unrestricted release. He enrolled at USuCk and appeared in 6 games, making 7 tackles. You may remember him ruffling some Garnet Feathers when he appeared in Death Valley to watch the Clemson-Louisville game last year while the Gamecocks were playing a road game at Ole Miss (LOL!). He announced in February that he was leaving the Gamecock team and giving up football following a fractured vertebrae... Strange odyssey.

Hunter Johnson
Transferred closer to home to Northwestern where he sat out last year per NCAA transfer rules. He too looks to be the favorite to take over the starting QB position in 2019.

Zerrick Cooper
Cooper transferred to FCS Jacksonville State (the Gamecocks...) and was immediately eligible to play since he moved down a division. He had a very successful first year. He threw for 3,416 yards and 32 touchdowns, won the Ohio Valley Conference and was the All-Conference QB. They went to the 2nd round of the FCS playoffs.

Tucker Israel
Israel is the forgotten-QB transfer from the post-Lawrence mass exodus. He opted to "transfer" but doesn't seem to have ever enrolled anywhere else. FWIW, he seems to be still pretty supportive of the Tigers on social media.

Jabril Robinson
Robinson was a role player D-lineman who transferred to WVU for his senior year after the 2017 season. He finished 2018 with 31 tackles, including 4 for loss. He would've gotten on the field at Clemson last year but probably wasn't looking at stats any better than that.

Tyshon Dye
Dye was a highly-recruited RB who was plagued by injuries at Clemson. He transferred to ECU following the 2016 season where he finished his last year with 217 yards and no TDs.

Jake Fruhmorgen
Fruhmorgen was one of our highest-rated O-Line signees ever and had a promising early career at Clemson. He seemingly battled some personal issues throughout the 2016 season and ended up transferring closer to home to Florida. 4 days later he announced he was quitting football. Then about 6 weeks later he announced he was transferring to Baylor. He sat out the 2017 season then appeared in 7 games in 2018, starting in 3. He'll presumably finish his last year at Baylor in 2019.

Adrian Baker
Baker was a reserve DB who opted to transfer for his final year of eligibility in 2017. He enrolled at Oklahoma State and played in 6 games where he had 6 tackles and 2 PBUs. Baker and OSU "mutually agreed to part ways" in the middle of the season. To be fair, Baker had torn his ACL at Clemson and never seemed to fully covered.

Scott Pagano
IMO, Pagano is the a great cautionary tale for Feaster. He was a reliable reserve player who would've seen a lot of snaps his senior season and a chance to get drafted a la Albert Huggins. Instead he elected to transfer to Oregon. He played in 8 games in 2017, starting only once, and had 6 total tackles and no sacks. He was allowed to come work out for Clemson's pro-day last year but was not drafted or signed.

These were the most note-worthy guys. There were a ton of people who totally flamed out or ended up at JUCOs, Community Colleges, or DII schools that weren't necessarily worth a write-up (Demarre Kitt, Shaq Anthony, Lateek Townsend, Ronald Geohaghan, Cortez Davis, etc.).

Bottom line: obviously every case is different but if you look at the history of guys who leave Clemson for greener pastures, they rarely find them... I hope Feaster sticks around but obviously he's got to make the best decision for him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Recent Clemson FB Transfers--whatever happened to...?

Apr 24, 2019, 2:05 PM

Chad Kelly (on field only) found a lot of success becoming a household name at Ole Miss and won a national championship in JuCo until a severe injury sidelined his 1st round draft hopes and then off field issues helped completely deflate his career.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chad Kelly is a good one to add but I also figured people

Apr 24, 2019, 2:30 PM

were familiar with his route.

He's had, as you noted, some... issues:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/20/chad-kelly-pleads-guilty/

This is so fitting for this guy's career/life. I literally

Apr 25, 2019, 8:51 AM

couldn't write anything fictional that would be better.

"In the 2017 NFL draft, the Broncos selected Kelly as the final pick. He made one play for the Broncos, a kneel-down snap ending the first half of a game against the Los Angeles Rams."

Wasn't Kelly kicked off the team and didn't just transfer?

Apr 26, 2019, 3:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Recent Clemson FB Transfers--whatever happened to...? ]

Mike Bellamy left and did not do well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whale dunn!!!

Apr 24, 2019, 2:32 PM

good read!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2019, 2:38 PM

I just don't get it why Tavien Feaster would transfer out of Clemson. He had a good 2018 season at Clemson, and is set play a major role at RB during the 2019 season. From Clemson, he would certainly go to the NFL, probably as a pretty high draft pick. Why would he leave an elite program like ours where he is established, and roll the dice in some totally new setting? Has something happened behind the scenes that we don't know about? On its' face, this doesn't make much sense. I have a feeling that he may be getting ready to make a major mistake.

Apr 24, 2019, 4:42 PM

He isn't a high draft pick, probably closer to a free agent signing at this point.

Agreed. I think he's got a shot to go to the league but I

Apr 24, 2019, 5:08 PM

think he gets exposure at Clemson he's not going to get if he transfers to somewhere like UNC or Tennessee or something (just random examples, not based on anything I've heard).

Apr 24, 2019, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Recent Clemson FB Transfers--whatever happened to...? ]

Feaster would be a UDFA most likely at this point. If he goes elsewhere and starts that could change. He will have a degree (alums are the best fans) and 2 rings, so he’s already accomplished more than most of the other transfers that have left here.

Thanks for the update***

Apr 24, 2019, 2:51 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Good read. Do I understand correctly that none of these

Apr 24, 2019, 3:28 PM

guys moved successfully to the NFL? Obviously a few, like Hunter Johnson, still have a chance but nobody yet?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct. Most of them were role-players at Clemson and

Apr 24, 2019, 3:31 PM

likely weren't going to the NFL but I think Pagano had a shot to be a DJ Reader-type late-rounder had he stuck around.

Apr 24, 2019, 3:48 PM

High quality post! Plus uno!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good research.***

Apr 24, 2019, 3:53 PM

I'm not sure all of our transfers are seeking...

Apr 24, 2019, 4:18 PM

greener pastures. Undoubtedly, Kelly Bryant was but it's possible he and some of the others were invited to transfer. I do not believe Dabo would put pressure on them to leave but being a good coach he's obligated to tell them where they stand and give them an accurate estimation of how much time on the field they have in their future.

If you drive a VW and happen across a deal on a Mercedes you don't have to sell the VW to the junkyard. However, if you want the garage space for your new Benz the VW might end up somewhere on the lawn.

Neither do I believe all the kids who decommit always do so because they've changed their minds about where they want to play. Some are invited to decommit by having a changing situation exposed to them by our staff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not sure all of our transfers... Your example

Apr 24, 2019, 5:23 PM

I remember we had to put WIlly Korn up on blocks in the front yard before he transferred because Bowden wouldnt recruit any linemen. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not sure all of our transfers... Your example

Apr 24, 2019, 6:45 PM

Feaster is thinking if he transfer somewhere that he can get 15 to 20 carries a game it will help his chances of making it to the pros. He want get that many carries at CU. He just needs to do what is best for him and whether tnet likes it I doubt will have any impact on his decision. Feaster has a shot Bryant should have stayed for the rings because he will not play pro ball unless someone wants a QB that can run it 20 times a game and not throw a lick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What could possibly make you think that KB was “invited to transfer”?

Apr 25, 2019, 9:53 AM [ in reply to I'm not sure all of our transfers are seeking... ]

There’s nothing about that time period that would make me think the coaches wanted him to transfer, recommended he transfer or expected him to transfer. There’s nothing from that time period that made me think the coaches thought it was good for him or Clemson. There’s nothing about Dabo’s history that makes me think we wouldn’t have seen a ton of KB even after he lost the starting job.

null

Re: What could possibly make you think that KB was “invited to transfer”?

Apr 26, 2019, 2:16 AM

Obviously he wasn't invited to transfer, but you can't be serious if you say that Kelly would have gotten enough meaningful snaps to help him achieve what he wanted to achieve. Even if Kelly stayed, he and Chase Brice would've been cannibalizing each other's snaps. In addition Trevor was a true freshman and needed to be playing as much as possible, even if he was throwing picks, you would've had to leave him in the game so that he can learn to shake off mistakes. Chase was a freshman also, and you needed to develop him too.

Everyone kept saying "4th quarters at Clemson are good enough", but he needed to develop as a passer and spending his senior year holding a clipboard and handing the ball off in the 4th quarter, with only 1-2 pass attempts per game (maybe even total) isn't going to do that. "#2 at Clemson is better than most #1s", but he wouldn't have developed as a passer and he would've lost his last chance at the NFL. Look, as an outsider looking in (not a Clemson fan) Kelly's comments were bad, but you can't blame him for transferring. He earned that opportunity to start and finish games, when his team won 14 of 15 games in which he started and finished. Sure, I'm not a Clemson fan and thus don't know how much Dabo would have played him, but certainly it had no chance of being enough for what he wanted to achieve.

Btw, Brandon Wimbush only played meaningful snaps in one game after Book was named the starter for the 4th game. Sure probably ND's second most important game of the year in Florida State, but again, he did absolutely nothing in the other 9 games of his benching. And if Jurkovec didn't redshirt Brian Kelly might've even named him the starter for FSU over Wimbush.

Re: What could possibly make you think that KB was “invited to transfer”?

Apr 26, 2019, 3:45 AM

Great post. Agreed!

Jamke Cumbie..a little far back...

Apr 24, 2019, 8:29 PM

Didn't he make it to an NFL team? His was a strange story.

Re: Jamke Cumbie..a little far back...

Apr 24, 2019, 8:34 PM

What ever happened to Mike Bellamy?

Crump <3 $EC

Apr 25, 2019, 9:19 AM

Bravo, hit that nail square on the head!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shadell Bell still playing for Coastal Carolina***

Apr 25, 2019, 9:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2019, 11:11 AM

Tavien would not be playing in mop-up duty. He would alternating with ETN along with Dixon. He would get plenty of chances to show what kind of RB he is. Going elsewhere and learning a new system is not a recipe for guaranteed success. Most teams already have talented running backs, so there is no guarantee that he will start or get the majority of snaps.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2019, 4:07 AM

I don't know how much was written but I have a friend whose son plays nose tackle for Oregon. He told me that Scott Pagano had a lot of problems with injuries at Oregon that were the primary reason for a bad year.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic