Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recalled For Korean War
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,716

Recalled For Korean War

Jul 12, 2020, 6:04 PM

Was looking through my stories and thought you would imagine how teed off I was on Sept.19, 1950.

I was in the Inactive Reserve after receiving my WW2 discharge. In late August or early early September, 1950, I received orders to report to the Air Force Base at Jackson, MS, for a physical and to see if I was still breathing. After a five minute inspection I received an A-1 and informed if I were to be recalled, I would have at least a 21 day notice before reporting for duty.

On Tuesday, Sept. 19,1950, about mid-afternoon, I was sitting in my office at the US Cotton Ginning Research Laboratory at Stoneville, MS, when a postman came to my office. He asked if I was Joe21. I said "yes sir". He told me he had a registered letter for me and please sign here. I did as he requested and he handed me a letter. I immediately saw it was from the Dept. of the Army and wondered what have I done now. It didn't take long to find out what I was supposed to do.

What I was supposed to do was to report to Fort Hood, TX, the next Monday Morning, Sept 25. Reading further, I was supposed to arrive at a hotel in Jackson, MS, on Saturday, Sept. 23, before 6:00 PM. On Sunday, Sept. 24, a bus would transport me and several other men to Killean, TX

There was a phone number I could call and I did. "I've got to close out my research project, pack up everything in our apartment, move my wife and two month old daughter to her family home in Florida and report back to Jackson on Saturday. Can I have a ten day or two week delay"? The answer I received short and to the point ---- "It is imperative you report as ordered".

The next day we packed and packed and put some things in storage. Staff members at the lab really helped a lot. We left Leland, MS on Thursday morning and drove to my wife's parent's home in Florida. I took care of some personal business on Friday and on Saturday AM I took a bus ride back to Jackson, MS.

To put it mildly, I was not a happy camper. At Fort Hood we had eleven days nd nights of refresher courses. The weather was dry and hotter than Hades. Just a little over one month I was in Pyongyang, North Korea, where the temperature was about 10 -15 F.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Recalled For Korean War

Jul 12, 2020, 7:01 PM

Thank you for sharing that and your service X 2!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2020, 9:38 PM

That sucks, but I'm glad we've had man and women such as you who've answered the call when we needed them. It seems lame to say,"Thank you for your service," but please do know your sacrifices are appreciated. I love your stories, BTW. It's been said that everybody has a book in 'em if they knew how to write it; I think you've made a good start on yours right here on the Tigernet!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2020, 11:14 PM

Can you imagine a millennial having to go through that !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2020, 9:46 AM

That’s what scares me. They would burn the country down with protest. It is amazing how liberal’s protest violence but their protest are violent.

I would hate to think how many draft dodgers we would have if we were to go to war with another country.

Tell me what harm it would be to have a copy of the 10 commandments in schools, government buildings, and other prominent places. It’s 10 great rules to teach our kids to live by!

The senate and house open each new session with prayer yet they are taking God out of society.

Joe you are One of Tigernet’s Heroes.

May God have Mercy on us!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2020, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Recalled For Korean War ]

I can..the youngest millennial is 20 years old and the oldest is
40. A bunch of those brave men and women have done as many as 12
tours in Iraq and Afghanistan

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2020, 8:00 AM

Thank you for your stories and your service to this great nation. God Bless Joe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2020, 8:17 AM

Awesome Story Mister C. Thanks for sharing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2020, 8:46 AM

"Hey Joe"! Let's get that autobiography wrapped up, edited and sent to press.
Honestly can't wait to receive my autographed copy...

Jul 13, 2020, 9:14 AM

Joe I admire such a man of courage, integrity and a man of great character. I am glad you have enjoyed such a long life. I pray God will bless you with many more. I hope you will finish your first book soon. I cannot wait to read it.

My dad was called back into the Army during the Cuban missile crisis. While back in the Army he was offered bonuses along with other’s who like my dad was recalled. The Army wanted him to re-enlisted for 3 years. He served his country well for which I am very proud. But if he had reenlisted most likely he would have been sent to Vietnam.

I know that I am being somewhat selfish but my sister and I were 3 1/2 and 1. So in my opinion he made the right decision. I have had so many great times with him. He and my mom had been married for about 4 years.

For those who enlisted, re-enlisted and were drafted your service is appreciated. For those who served in Vietnam,You are brave people who deserve this nations eternal respect and our gratitude . There are no words to say Thank You. For those who never came home you are true Heroes! It’s very sad So many kids never knew their father and wives who had such short marriages to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. ????????????????????????

To the cowards who dodged the draft through political contacts or those who went to Canada or other countries to avoid your military obligations I hope you have and will live with the shame of being a Coward the rest of your lives. Thank God we had many Brave soldiers willing to fight for ours as well as other Countries freedom.

And shame on Jimmy Carter for giving draft dodgers and those who left the country to avoid military service amnesty for desertion and for being a COWARD!

Thank you for those who have served and those who are currently serving in our military. to protect this great symbol of hope, freedom, and sacrifice. ????????????????????????

Thank you Joe!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Incredible story Joe21. So - you are saying that Government

Jul 13, 2020, 9:20 AM

Inefficiency and lack of regard is nothing new, as some would lead us to believe ? ? ? ?

Keep the stories coming - we love them & we love you, brother ! ! ! !

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jul 13, 2020, 6:28 PM

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE SOLDIER !

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,716
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic