Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Reasonably priced" ticket...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

"Reasonably priced" ticket...

Jan 4, 2017, 1:58 PM

My Clemson Econ professor would lose his mind reading this phrase over and over.

Reasonably priced is relative. The current market shows what a "reasonable price" is. Not sure how this escapes people.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol.. no more unreasonable than your notion

Jan 4, 2017, 2:00 PM

That supply and demand trumps all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Lol.. no more unreasonable than your notion

Jan 4, 2017, 2:01 PM

Yeah, the majority of the time. It does.

But please. You're willing to sell face value tickets...or provide advice on how to find them, let TigerNet know.

I sold 9 nc tickets last year for face vaule.

Jan 4, 2017, 2:23 PM

People asked me to use my iptay points to get tickets so I did. Charged them whatever clemson charged me.

That's a true story. Please feel free to let your economic prof know.

Was going to do it this year but I screwed up the deadline.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

As is your choice

Jan 4, 2017, 2:26 PM

You place a value on generosity or whatever you want to call it which causes you to not ask for the current market price when selling the tickets. Of course some folks will do that, but that is not how the market, as a whole, will behave.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^this could be my Econ professor^^***

Jan 4, 2017, 2:36 PM

Economists call this charity.***

Jan 4, 2017, 2:27 PM [ in reply to I sold 9 nc tickets last year for face vaule. ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I sold 9 nc tickets last year for face vaule.

Jan 4, 2017, 2:35 PM [ in reply to I sold 9 nc tickets last year for face vaule. ]

You're a good guy. Especially if you sold those to random forum posters. Wonder how many you would have gotten this year if you made the deadline.

11.. 2 for me ..9 for the rest

Jan 4, 2017, 3:00 PM

Same folks as last year. Seems like iptay wouldn't have given me 11 this year so I would have just given whatever was leftover to whoever asked 1st.

In the end i screwed them out of tix as well. ..
Oh well. Sheet hapens.

THIS years demand and prices have no relation to last year.

Jan 4, 2017, 2:57 PM [ in reply to I sold 9 nc tickets last year for face vaule. ]

Just look at what happened in 24 hours to prices.

In this case it really does

Jan 4, 2017, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Lol.. no more unreasonable than your notion ]

Typically tickets are initially priced (by the venue or program) in order not to maximize profits, but to fill stadiums. That is why a secondary market exists. When demand for the tickets increase the initial price can be (and usually is) set higher, and the secondary market moves upward as well.

In truth there will be tickets for significantly lower than the asking price right now as game time approaches. Probably not many at their initial price, but lower than the current asking price. Folks are getting their tickets now in order to tie up their travel plans, thus creating a spike in current demand. And so, a spike responds in current prices.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously

Jan 4, 2017, 2:43 PM

Scalping tix for 500% FACE isnt illegal.
You use to have to sell a dirty sock for $1000 and throw in a tik for free.

Doesn't seem to be the case now.

My point was that economics/supply&demand isn't an absolute rule.

I don't have any issue with ticket prices.

In fact I am irritated by the people crying over tik prices.

I'm equally frustrated by people who use iptay dues to justify gouging or people who throw around an econ book like it should be used to run the universe.

well . . .

Jan 4, 2017, 2:01 PM

it depends on the context. If someone is using that term to refer to what they think the market SHOULD dictate, vs. what it HAS dictated in reality, then you're absolutely right.

But in common parlance many folks may not even be intending to be referring to the market at all. They simply are using it as short hand for a price closer to the standard range for such things - even if the "unreasonably" high prices are entirely reasonable in pure market terms.

Re: well . . .

Jan 4, 2017, 2:03 PM

People looking for a ticket for less than the market demands have lost their perspective on "reasonably priced"...

It would be more aptly termed as: "priced so that I can afford or commit to purchase"

Re: well . . .

Jan 4, 2017, 2:08 PM

"priced so that I can afford or commit to purchase" .... exactly, reasonable.

Ha, well . . .

Jan 4, 2017, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: well . . . ]

that's sort of the point. It's not necessarily that they've lost their perspective, it's that they're using the phrase as shorthand for exactly what you said - what they can afford or what they are willing to spend. It's just shorthand, not a counter-argument on economics.

Indeed

Jan 4, 2017, 2:27 PM

What I imagine they mean by reasonable price, is a price they can rationally decide they can afford to attend the game.

The people who don't get this....

Jan 4, 2017, 2:08 PM

are the people who aren't IPTAY members and they're now scrambling to find tickets at or near face value.

These are the same people who brag about showing up prior to games and paying far less than face value for tickets to the less than marquee games and then complaining about having to pay well over face value for tickets to the more popular games on the schedule.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Agree!***

Jan 4, 2017, 2:28 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

Yes, Exactly!***

Jan 4, 2017, 2:29 PM [ in reply to The people who don't get this.... ]

Re: "Reasonably priced" ticket...

Jan 4, 2017, 2:17 PM

free market ideologues never can seem to explain price gouging, monopolies, and racketeering. They just bend over and accept it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not true . . .

Jan 4, 2017, 2:26 PM

Free Markets aren't to be confused with absolute economic libertarianism. Monopolies are typically not a product of free markets but some sort of rigging (lack of free markets, in summary) that results in constraints preventing competition.

Absolute economic libertarianism can't do anything consistent with itself other than bend over and take it. But free markets are policed. Not heavily regulated, not centrally controlled, but policed. And that which is policed is not the market dynamic itself (i.e. production and prices, supply and demand) - but the integrity of transactions, information, etc. That is, prevention of fraud, theft, deception, etc. The production, the prices, the supply, the demand, and the engaging in business are left alone. But force, coercion, fraud and deception that might interfere with a truly free market is policed.

And, today, the Free Market price begins at around $1500!

Jan 4, 2017, 2:29 PM

Did you see that corner seat ticket at Stubhub? It's going for $96,000.
Go Tigers!!

Indeed

Jan 4, 2017, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Not true . . . ]

Most free market advocates would argue that monopolies and collusion are corruptions of free market principles that must be policed.

Now gouging is a bit of a different animal. For life-necessary items (food, shelter, medicine, etc) laws are created to protect people from the inability to receive these items. But for items like tickets, what we call gouging is just market correction for a ticket that is initially sold below market prices.

^^now, I'm certain he's my old Econ professor^^ lol***

Jan 4, 2017, 2:39 PM

this thread gave me heart palpitations

Jan 4, 2017, 3:04 PM

and a migraine - thanks. i'm just gonna give it a shot outside of stadium and i will succeed

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

The brave, new StubHub world has scared me off from buying

Jan 4, 2017, 3:15 PM

outside the stadium when prices are going to be this steep. Will you be able to part with hundreds of dollars for a white piece of paper printed on someone's home printer that may or may not actually have a valid bar-code to get you in?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good luck and have fun.***

Jan 4, 2017, 3:16 PM [ in reply to this thread gave me heart palpitations ]

Risk is also relative

Jan 4, 2017, 3:12 PM

If you purchase a certified ticket now, you are operating on less risk than if you were to wait until gameday. Will there be tickets available on gameday, most likely, but it is not certain, thus it is a risk and when you demand less risk you pay more.

Reality is there are probably twice as many Bama and Clemson fans that want to

Jan 4, 2017, 3:15 PM

Go to to game then there are seats. In addition 1/3 of seats are given to corporate sponsors for entertaining guests. There is a huge shortage of seats versus fans who planned to go. If you want to go then you will need to pay more than 1/2 of the fans who want to go are willing to pay.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic