Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Really nice write up on OL John Simpson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Really nice write up on OL John Simpson

Jul 21, 2018, 12:14 PM

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/meet-john-simpson-clemson-s-lovable-huggable-and-huge-offensive/article_4f0a02e0-8c43-11e8-be53-d7ee5d29ad8a.html

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Really nice write up on OL John Simpson

Jul 21, 2018, 12:28 PM

Also hear he's the only guy on the team not afraid of Dexter Lawrence in 1-on-1's.

Coaches really actually think he's got the feet for RT, he's just apparently more comfortable inside.

Good problem to have. Those are what's called "Uptown Problems".

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2018, 12:56 PM

I'll take all the uptown problems we can get! :)

Jul 21, 2018, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Really nice write up on OL John Simpson ]

1v1 on Dex, NO THANK YOU

One of my favorite gets over the years.

Jul 21, 2018, 1:39 PM

Great to see him blossoming like he is sporting the paw. We're going to be able to run the fool out of the ball this season.

Go Tigers! Go John Simpson!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would love to read the article

Jul 21, 2018, 2:28 PM

but a popup says i've used up my 2 free articles
this month and will have to subscribe - $12.95/
month. Wish you coulda copy/pasted

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would love to read the article

Jul 21, 2018, 4:53 PM

Just clear your browsing history, cache and cookies and it will let you see the article. I had to do that to see the article.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Jul 21, 2018, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Would love to read the article ]

Just clear your browsing history, cache and cookies and it will let you see the article. I had to do that to see the article.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

You may be able to hit the "X" or stop loading button

Jul 21, 2018, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Would love to read the article ]

and load the article before the popup attacks.

Jul 21, 2018, 6:26 PM [ in reply to Would love to read the article ]

Don't give any money to that Marxist rag newspaper. Read it at the library.

Right-click open in private window***

Jul 21, 2018, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Would love to read the article ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2018, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Would love to read the article ]

CLEMSON — Dabo Swinney paused for a brief moment to think about the question, then decided there were entirely too many things he liked about his huge offensive lineman from North Charleston to possibly cover them all.

"Everything," Swinney began. "I love everything about John Simpson."

Then, gathering his thoughts, he elaborated:

"Who he is as a person, his character, his family, — he has a great family — how hard he's worked, the type of student he is. He's very conscientious.

"And I love the fact that he's 6-5, 320 pounds and strong as an ox. He can bend, move and likes it. He likes to play the game. He's a guy that I think is going to have a special year."

It appears that way.

Indeed, 2018 is set to be a defining season for the Simpson, who played at Fort Dorchester High School with South Carolina quarterback Dakereon Joyner, as he moves into the starting lineup for the first time.

With the departure of offensive lineman Taylor Hearn, Simpson is next in line to step up for the Tigers at the left guard slot. The junior appears more than ready for his new role, having played 300 snaps in 2017 and 460 career snaps over 21 games since 2016.

Now, the protection of quarterbacks Kelly Bryant, Trevor Lawrence and Chase Brice is partially in Simpson's hands. And for a Clemson season that will perhaps have more eyes on it than ever at the quarterback position, the weight of Simpson's role speaks for itself.

"John's going to be fantastic. I think he's got a chance to be probably the best in the league at his position," Clemson offensive line coach Robbie Caldwell said. "He has size, he has strength, he's learning the system."

What separates Simpson the junior from Simpson the freshman or sophomore is how much he has mastered the system. As Caldwell elaborated, it became clear that Simpson has always had the strength and the ability, but the knowledge has been more of a steady process, as is the case with most underclassmen. At 6-5, Simpson has had to learn how to "uncoil a little bit" and he is becoming more comfortable with knowing what to do in certain situations, according to Caldwell.

Caldwell noted that Simpson's versatility (he plays tackle and guard) will bode well for him when it comes time for NFL scouts to conduct their evaluations.

It also doesn't hurt that Simpson is among the most personable and approachable members of the team. He and Caldwell like to joke about Caldwell's dream to open a barber shop some day.

"He's the sweetest guy," Caldwell said. "You just want to hug him every time you see him.

"He's got a great personality, a great smile."

A smile he hopes to be wearing all the way to the College Football Playoff.

Jul 22, 2018, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Would love to read the article ]

Here you go!

CLEMSON — Dabo Swinney paused for a brief moment to think about the question, then decided there were entirely too many things he liked about his huge offensive lineman from North Charleston to possibly cover them all.

"Everything," Swinney began. "I love everything about John Simpson."

Then, gathering his thoughts, he elaborated:

"Who he is as a person, his character, his family, — he has a great family — how hard he's worked, the type of student he is. He's very conscientious.

"And I love the fact that he's 6-5, 320 pounds and strong as an ox. He can bend, move and likes it. He likes to play the game. He's a guy that I think is going to have a special year."

It appears that way.

Indeed, 2018 is set to be a defining season for the Simpson, who played at Fort Dorchester High School with South Carolina quarterback Dakereon Joyner, as he moves into the starting lineup for the first time.

With the departure of offensive lineman Taylor Hearn, Simpson is next in line to step up for the Tigers at the left guard slot. The junior appears more than ready for his new role, having played 300 snaps in 2017 and 460 career snaps over 21 games since 2016.

Now, the protection of quarterbacks Kelly Bryant, Trevor Lawrence and Chase Brice is partially in Simpson's hands. And for a Clemson season that will perhaps have more eyes on it than ever at the quarterback position, the weight of Simpson's role speaks for itself.

"John's going to be fantastic. I think he's got a chance to be probably the best in the league at his position," Clemson offensive line coach Robbie Caldwell said. "He has size, he has strength, he's learning the system."

What separates Simpson the junior from Simpson the freshman or sophomore is how much he has mastered the system. As Caldwell elaborated, it became clear that Simpson has always had the strength and the ability, but the knowledge has been more of a steady process, as is the case with most underclassmen. At 6-5, Simpson has had to learn how to "uncoil a little bit" and he is becoming more comfortable with knowing what to do in certain situations, according to Caldwell.

+1
National Signing Day
Fort Dorchester's John Simpson (center) is surrounded by teammates and family members after choosing Clemson over LSU and Florida on National Signing Day, Feb. 3, 2016. File/Staff

Caldwell noted that Simpson's versatility (he plays tackle and guard) will bode well for him when it comes time for NFL scouts to conduct their evaluations.

It also doesn't hurt that Simpson is among the most personable and approachable members of the team. He and Caldwell like to joke about Caldwell's dream to open a barber shop some day.

"He's the sweetest guy," Caldwell said. "You just want to hug him every time you see him.

"He's got a great personality, a great smile."

A smile he hopes to be wearing all the way to the College Football Playoff.

great article, thanks for sharing

Jul 21, 2018, 2:46 PM

This really gives you an idea how much the OL has to learn before they become great players. Every week is different, blocking different fronts and schemes. I appreciate all the hard work he's put in. Looking forward to seeing him blow some tackles out of their gaps this year.

Which makes Mitch Hyatt's journey so remarkable.

Jul 21, 2018, 4:10 PM

Starting as a true Freshman at LT? And helping lead a team to 3 CFP visits plus a Natty in the process? Hope he's saving the best for last.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My son and I met him Wednesday. He is huge and such a

Jul 21, 2018, 8:50 PM

Nice young man!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic