Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reality of 2015 Defensive Turnover
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Reality of 2015 Defensive Turnover

Jan 13, 2015, 4:37 PM

There really is not a Grady, Vic, or Stephone on this team. That is just objective truth. Our defense will not be #1 overall. That also is almost certain (through some anomaly who knows, but just highly, highly unlikely). However, I just do not think people are factoring in a vastly improved offense into the evaluation of the potential of next year's defense. Think of how many times our anemic offense put our defense into horrible circumstances last year. Next years defense will just not see the type of pressure filled moments this year's defense did. What the 2014 defense was able to accomplish: yes the national statistical standings but even moreso heir ability to step up at critical moments and stop teams at the doorstep to WIN GAMES for us, is the stuff of legend.
Again, there is no replacing or replicating what we lose, but we really don't have to. I expect our defense to be superlative next year. We really have a ton of talent coming back. We have some guys who are about to burst onto the national seen. And we have as good a coordinator as there is in the business. With the help of an increasingly explosive and productive offense our defense will be one of the best in the conference again and recognized nationally.
The important thing is that the 2015 defense will be plenty good for us to achieve all of our goals. Will they? Who knows, but if some things go our way, then it wouldn't surprise me a bit for us to be enjoying the same fruits that Ohio State is this year. Can't wait to see it unfold.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reality of 2015 Defensive Turnover

Jan 13, 2015, 4:39 PM

I don't expect them to win multiple game with 4th down stops at the end of regulation but I think they won't be asked to either.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2015, 4:43 PM

Crobb: Your post is great. and IMO your assessment of 2014 vs 2015 is spot on. Another way to put it is that our 2015 defense will get a much better chance to "mature" than has been the case in other years due to the factors you point out.

It's a little early

Jan 13, 2015, 4:46 PM

to say there is not a Grady or a Vic on this team. Nobody would have predicted they'd have the careers they did three years ago.

Re: It's a little early

Jan 13, 2015, 4:57 PM

There's not a Grady or Vic on next years team, check the names on the roster!

Jan 13, 2015, 4:57 PM [ in reply to It's a little early ]

Think you may be missing the point of my post. Just like there will never be another CJ Spiller, there will never be another Vic or Grady. We may very well have someone that puts up the same numbers, or even better and carves out a place in Tiger history for themselves, but Vic and Grady will always be mentioned from here on out when "Tiger Greats" are mentioned, in much the same way CJ is. Who knows, DJ Reader may play out of his mind and maybe Ebo or Shaq may hit double digit sacks, but this simply will not be the same defense. The likelihood of next year's defense being put into as many situations to create their legend as this year's is infinitesimal. I think next year we will be very good. It'll just be different and the overall team success will be much more balanced as opposed to knowing that our defense is going to have to play like world beaters to win, which was the feeling going into many games this year.

Jan 13, 2015, 5:01 PM

CRobb: another spot on post IMO.

Jan 13, 2015, 5:02 PM

WHERE WE have any slippage in defense we should more than make up with an improved offense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the returning and new defensive folks will be

Jan 13, 2015, 5:25 PM

too afraid of our "sideline lunatic" DC to let things slip too far. All of them unfortunately are now aware what Coach Venables expects, and I'm guessin' none of 'em want to be on the receiving end a face-to-facemask confrontation.......Clemson's defense will be strong but in different areas next year...I already miss Grady Jarrett....Nose tackles of his caliber don't come around very often

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2015, 6:22 PM

Well, you can say that about either offense or defense every year and sometimes both. Thats why e recuit and develop players.
Every teaam is unique and has its stars.
We as fans do not need to get hung up on who leaves. Happens every year to every team. We will be fine.

Jan 13, 2015, 7:10 PM

We will be better than fine in my opinion. What an elite offense does to opposing teams offenses can be a game changer. If DW and crew are able to score at will, it puts pressure on opposing offenses to try and keep up, hence playing into the hands of our secondary, which is pretty good. For instance, taking a 27-0 lead over Oklahoma basically took away their running game. We have enough returning defensive play makers to make a solid defense. Kearse, Wiggins, Boulware all have a nose for the ball when it goes in the air. Not too many will challenge Alexander, which is why its imperrative that a Baker or a Fields or Tankersly steps in and up to the task. I think guys like Wilkins, Huggins, Johnson, Ogu are going to provide that depth we had last year behind Reader, Watkins, Pagano, Lawson. These guys are good, but the advantage we have is the Venables, Hobby, Brooks and Reed quartet that know how to coach a defense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2015, 7:39 PM

Crobb - enjoyed post but "stuff of legend" was classic!

Jan 13, 2015, 7:48 PM

Haha. Wait and see. We will be watching defensive highlights from this group for many years and comparing future defenses not only to the Danny days, but also to 2014. I was just thinking about all the heart pounding and head scratching situations these guys got us out of, but maybe "stuff of legend" is a bit too far...

I'm Concerned With

Jan 13, 2015, 7:45 PM

linebacker and defensive end for the 2015 season only.

Re: I'm Concerned With

Jan 13, 2015, 7:51 PM

DE is definitely a concern. We need someone or some people to step up and pressure QB's consistently, but I think overall we will be a little better at LB and significantly better at DB. Hopefully that will make up for any drop off. And hopefully the drop off will be slight at worst. We'll see.

Jan 13, 2015, 7:50 PM

I'm going to disagree. I believe that Reader and Lawson will fill their shoes nicely. We too deep my friend!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2015, 7:58 PM

Hope you are right, but they were both contributing well last year. Who is going to be able to match their contributions? I think we will be fine too, just not quite as stout on DL.

Amazing we're replacing 2-3 star guys

Jan 13, 2015, 7:54 PM

With 4/5 star guys and regressing.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Amazing we're replacing 2-3 star guys

Jan 13, 2015, 7:56 PM

So you think we will be stronger of defense next year? Just curious. I don't think we will have much drop off. Slight at DT, little more possibly at DE, improved overall at LB, and significantly improved at DB is where I sit.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic