Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reality has sunk in and hit hurts. Having to sell my
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

Reality has sunk in and hit hurts. Having to sell my

Sep 23, 2014, 11:55 AM

Wrangler. There is no way my wife can get a baby in and out of the Wrangler. And we share cars often. Plus with a stroller and a dog, the Wrangler just won't cut it.

SO once again I am going to have to deal with the douchenoggle sales men and find something. I hate car pyments and I hate the type that reach the $500 mark.

I am in a great situation with the Jeep in that it's worth a good bit more than I owe.

I am thinking XTerra 4wd (Michigan Winters) . Big fat NO on a Tahoe or an Exploder.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 Runner, Infinity QX56? It has been a long time since I've

Sep 23, 2014, 11:58 AM

been in an XTerra but from what I recall, they don't seem fun do have to deal with a car seat in. May as plan a car around a second baby.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Xterra is a great choice.

Sep 23, 2014, 12:09 PM

I mean, considering that Nissan is what made Detroit famous and all.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First kid or 2nd one?

Sep 23, 2014, 12:12 PM

Even if first one, Xterra is awfully small. By the time you put a stroller and car seat plus 2 adults you ain't ghana have much room left.

For the love of all that is holy, do not buy an Xterra.***

Sep 23, 2014, 12:15 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Recommend against Xterra.

Sep 23, 2014, 12:16 PM

Buddy of mine had major problems getting car seats and kids in and out due to the layout of the side beam....something about too narrow

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You, sir, need a

Sep 23, 2014, 12:29 PM

pickup truck. Ever'thang is better in a truck.

That is my plan if somebody tells me I have a kid on the way

Sep 23, 2014, 12:32 PM

Buy a truck with just a bench seat and no air bags. Sorry, I can't drive no kid no place.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he called the wrangler a JEEP

Sep 23, 2014, 12:30 PM

CJ for life

Re: he called the wrangler a JEEP

Sep 23, 2014, 12:33 PM

Willys

He called the #### "poop"!!***

Sep 23, 2014, 12:43 PM [ in reply to he called the wrangler a JEEP ]

I can fit two car seats, double stroller, two big dogs, and

Sep 23, 2014, 12:35 PM

two adults in the 4Runner and the Pilot. You wanna buy a 2005 4Runner? Only 190k miles.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he JUST missed out on an awesome deal here...***

Sep 23, 2014, 1:21 PM

Re: Reality has sunk in and hit hurts. Having to sell my

Sep 23, 2014, 12:39 PM

I will do an even trade for my altima, full loaded, leather, new tires, 165k miles.

tml.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never understood the sentimental attachment

Sep 23, 2014, 12:47 PM

to automobiles. Many people actually have names for their cars/trucks, etc. I buy 'em drive em into the ground for 8,9, or ten years, and then get a new one.
I'm on my 3rd Camry in 24 years.

I wish I didn't need a car and we had great public transportation here. What a huge expense cars are for just gettin' around...huge upfront expense or long term payment, insurance, gas, oil, tires. It never ends.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've never understood the sentimental attachment

Sep 23, 2014, 12:52 PM

my favorite cars have been the ones that were paid off.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My first car was a gift, my second car

Sep 23, 2014, 12:58 PM

started to act up just months after it was paid off. The burning of oil, some bad sounds when turning, and finally paying off all other credit accounts inspired the purchase of the 3rd car.

I'm at 8 years and 218K on my mazda***

Sep 23, 2014, 12:57 PM [ in reply to I've never understood the sentimental attachment ]

das a lotta driving***

Sep 23, 2014, 1:24 PM

The reason you don't understand is...

Sep 23, 2014, 12:58 PM [ in reply to I've never understood the sentimental attachment ]

you drive a Camry. Or, I guess the other way of thinking about it is that you wouldn't be buying a Camry if you were the kind of person who cared a lot about cars. Camrys are reliable, long- lasting, not overly expensive, and soulless.

Nothing particularly wrong with that, but if you maybe cared a little more about cars, you might've gotten something more interesting that might make you feel a little differently.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bought a Camry because I knew I couldn't

Sep 23, 2014, 12:59 PM

afford what I want. This is probably why I am already tired of it.

life's too short to drive crappy nondescript cars

Sep 23, 2014, 1:22 PM [ in reply to The reason you don't understand is... ]

my main lifestyle indulgence is to own vehicles that are FUN.
Ive owned one utilitarian vehicle in my life (Corolla), and that was in college when I didn't have much choice.

Since then it's been sports cars, jeeps, limited edition trucks, etc. Driving for me is an experience, any day of the week; one of my favorite things to do. If I ever committed a crime, it wouldn't be hard to catch me using the description of my vehicle.

The reason is that growing up me and my friends thought

Sep 23, 2014, 1:42 PM [ in reply to The reason you don't understand is... ]

people who cared about cars were kind of rednecky or kind of like Wooderson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSW2RH1GX3U

vrooooom...vrooooom...vrooooom

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who wouldn't want to be like Wooderson?

Sep 23, 2014, 1:44 PM

But I can see your point about the rednecks. Particularly the ones that care about cars, but have ###### cars that they put flowmasters on.

When I think of people who care about cas. I think of old dudes with money.

Probably also true

Sep 23, 2014, 2:26 PM [ in reply to The reason is that growing up me and my friends thought ]

A friend's dad the other day was commenting on how big of a deal cars were to people when he was growing up, and how little younger people seem to care about them. Personally, I'd be embarassed to drive a Prius or a Honda Fit or something like that, but a lot of people my age seem not to care so much about a cars looks or performance, if they want to have a car at all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea, I'm like that. I have a Camry but if I wasn't 6'5"

Sep 23, 2014, 2:45 PM

I'd have a Corolla...best car made imo for the money.

I test drove an almost brand new 2013 Carolla when

Sep 23, 2014, 3:17 PM

I got my Camry. I really, really wanted to like it because it was cheaper and had less miles than the Camry I got. I hated it within the first mile.

Yeah! You need an Avalon!***

Sep 23, 2014, 2:05 PM [ in reply to The reason you don't understand is... ]

There's a lot of good and bad things that happen in

Sep 23, 2014, 1:16 PM [ in reply to I've never understood the sentimental attachment ]

vehicles over the years that make them special IMO. No way you could replace personal vehicles with public transportation, it wouldn't be the same. I'd rather be in debt forever than ride public transportation...no thanks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same, I love having a car, even in big cities***

Sep 23, 2014, 1:20 PM

By your car choice, you see them as appliances

Sep 23, 2014, 2:51 PM [ in reply to I've never understood the sentimental attachment ]

which I think the majority of the public does too. Most don't have attachments to their washer and dyer or toaster.

Also, like toasters almost everyone can afford a car or at least has owned a car in their lifetime. In the past, car ownership was special. It was a privilege. Just owning one was a status symbol-nevermind the make-so it was a source of pride. They also became a symbol of our love of freedom and individualism. (Still do, but not nearly has pronounced.) A car offered you the chance to go anywhere at anytime for cheap (gas prices). You still see this with teenagers wanting their first car. Their mentality is how most of the country felt about cars just 50 years prior.

Now, with increased safety regulations, gas prices and car prices the somewhat irrational emotional appeal of cars has taken a back seat to their fiscal sense. That's why to all but a few impassioned individuals (car nerds) the appeal of a car is as an appliance, and what is the best deal I can get on that appliance?

Sort of like the difference between a house and a home

Sep 23, 2014, 2:55 PM

A car is like a moving home, for some folks.

I think we just fixed the homeless problem in the country

Sep 23, 2014, 2:59 PM

give them all camrys

They'd probably just trade them in for drugs***

Sep 23, 2014, 3:39 PM

I like my truck more than I like my house

Sep 23, 2014, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Sort of like the difference between a house and a home ]

Plus, you spend +/- 2 hours on the interstate every day, and a Camry just isn't going to cut it...For me, anyway. I need something comfortable, with power, that sits up high enough I have a good vantage point of traffic. We drove my girlfriends Jetta 3 hours to a wedding the other weekend and it was miserable, for no other reason than it sits too low.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm with you on most of that...

Sep 23, 2014, 3:39 PM

I just prefer something more sporty than sitting up high in a truck. I definitely know what you mean with getting used to that height, though. It feels weird to go back to a sedan or coupe after that.

looking at the bloated box SUVs people proudly are seen in

Sep 23, 2014, 3:14 PM [ in reply to By your car choice, you see them as appliances ]

there is not much thought or self-esteem put into selecting a vehicle nowadays.

I wonder why vans are now considered uncool?

Sep 23, 2014, 3:19 PM

but big box SUVs (used for the same purpose-kids) aren't?

dunno - an SUV is just a modern-day station wagon

Sep 23, 2014, 3:22 PM

the vehicle that we as youngsters were petrified to be seen in.

SUVs are often not people movers at all.

Sep 23, 2014, 3:26 PM

Other than sitting higher, I don't get the popularity of things like Rav4s or CRVs. The real SUVs are just status symbols.

SUV's now are basically nothing but vans...

Sep 23, 2014, 3:26 PM [ in reply to I wonder why vans are now considered uncool? ]

They're putting them on car frames and everything. Those, I don't really get the appeal of...Except I do like the Explorer. However, a 1978 Bronco with a 351 and 37" Super Swampers is a totally different animal.

You mean something that actaully has

Sep 23, 2014, 3:27 PM

some capability and one would not be terrified to scratch it?

Yes, I think they also need to have enough ground clearance

Sep 23, 2014, 3:31 PM

to be able to drive over any curb or speed bump without dragging...If the front valance so much as scratches when you pull up to a parking spot, it is not a true SUV.

It's just the "truck" look vs. the van look***

Sep 23, 2014, 3:34 PM [ in reply to I wonder why vans are now considered uncool? ]

But what about the mentality changed? Or when?

Sep 23, 2014, 3:46 PM

Vans used to be "cool" back in the 60s and 70s. Or am I wrong that these were ever seen as cool?

I get that vans became more domesticated or "feminine" but so, too, has the SUV. So are we going to see another mentality change in the next generation?

Why buy something with payments that high?

Sep 23, 2014, 12:55 PM

Get something used and save some money.

Forester***

Sep 23, 2014, 12:56 PM

i was in your situation many years ago, mrssav82tiger talked

Sep 23, 2014, 12:59 PM

me into an suv, three vehicles later with the childern grown i just went back to a pickup truck, got a f150 supercrew cab. wish i had done that instead of the suvs.

I'd stay away from the newer Nissan's...

Sep 23, 2014, 1:14 PM

You may have great luck, but I think they're kind of hit or miss. I loved the way my Frontier drove, but it was a POS. It had things breaking more than a Chevrolet. And they're known for a fun little problem where the radiator breaks and cross-contaminates the transmission, causing catastrophic failure!

Just got back from Toyota, getting a car serviced

Sep 23, 2014, 1:19 PM

and was looking at the 4Runners and Highlanders on the lot.

WHEN teh EFF did they get so asspensive?

talkin' $700+ /mo to finance (did the maff myself, didn't ask about a lease) for the higher end highlanders....

WifeofGreenr was talking bout a Chevy Traverse the other

Sep 23, 2014, 1:26 PM

day...not to get one, but just talking about riding in a friends. I decided to do some research. The ####### car starts at 35k. STARTS at 35....f me in the bwhole if I ever have to buy another car.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the base 4runner I saw was 35k or 36k

Sep 23, 2014, 1:28 PM

base.

Did they actaully have a base model to sell?***

Sep 23, 2014, 1:31 PM

Yeah, that is why we now have a used Pilot***

Sep 23, 2014, 1:32 PM [ in reply to the base 4runner I saw was 35k or 36k ]

What is the world to do when resale values

Sep 23, 2014, 1:38 PM

stay bad high? Are we going to to have any more junkers than before cash for clunkers on the road?

Re: the base 4runner I saw was 35k or 36k

Sep 23, 2014, 4:14 PM [ in reply to the base 4runner I saw was 35k or 36k ]

Regarding the Toyota's. The price is big, but you cant kill them. I have 2 Toyota's, and they have been extremely reliable! Ie no major problems out of each of them.

I have a 1999 4Runner that we bought used in 2001 with about 30k on it. It now has has 220k miles and the only maintenance we have done is a regular walmart oil change every 5k or so. We have had the fuel injectors cleaned once, and that cost us about $500. But ruling out the regular maintenance (ie oil change, occasional belt, tires, etc.) This car has been relatively cheap to own.

I also have a 2006 Tundra that I bought new, and it now has 160,000 miles. I have had to change out a wheel bearing that cost $500 bucks. Not that big of a deal. But I have taken better care of this car than the 4runner. I could take up a full page regarding why I have taken better care of this car than the 4 runner, but I will spare you my vent.. I will say this, no matter the make, brand, dealership, etc. do not put any faith into the warranty's they offer you or try to sell you. They are not worth it. If you want more info, I will share. Just know that you will loose! And yes, I am really bitter about warranty's.

That said, I do like the Toyota Brand. The cars I have owned, as well as some of my friends have owned have been extremely reliable.

But with that in mind, I think you should also consider the fact that kids are messy. I mean real messy. They find ways of spilling all kinds of stuff that can quickly make that new car smell, turn into the O my god, what is that stink smell. Because of this, I would recommend you definitely buy a good used SUV, Mini Van, or 4 door truck. And I would also tell you that you have to look at it like a disposable purchase. ie you probably are going to need to change it out in 5~6 years. Dont spend big bucks.. Go cheap on this one, and wait until the kids are older and a little cleaner before buying that car you plan to drive forever or until the wheels fall off!

Also, don't think something is to big. You can never have to big when carting around kids. We use our 4 door tundra to haul around our kids. The back seat is full of car seats and their stuff. The tailgate (which is covered) carries the stroller, pack and plays, clothes, toys, etc. When I go someplace overnight, the truck is full! And it would be practically full with one kid. 2 kids and we are pretty full. If we get a third, I would be concerned that I would need to replace my bed cover with the van cap. You will be amazed out how much stuff the kids need...

Kids are Fun! But your life as you knew it is now over!
Go Tigers
LNT

I'm not sure a Chevy Traverse is even worth $10k new***

Sep 23, 2014, 1:59 PM [ in reply to WifeofGreenr was talking bout a Chevy Traverse the other ]

Yeah, she just said it was big, black, and sleek. That

Sep 23, 2014, 2:00 PM

is what she looks for in a ride.

but we knew that***

Sep 23, 2014, 2:15 PM

PROBLEM. SOLVED.

Sep 23, 2014, 2:27 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reality has sunk in and hit hurts. Having to sell my

Sep 23, 2014, 6:29 PM

Absolutely 100% not doing XTerra. Much much cheaper built car than I thought. So after looking today here is my list. Oh and I love cars, had a lot of them and don't mind paying for the, I don't have a boat (anymore) or some other stupid hobby, so I typically get nicer cars.

4Runner
Highlander (even 4x4 is a bit grandma-ish)
4Runner
4Runner

I was just getting over the news that you were moving

Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 PM

even further away from Clemson, and now this!!! my heart breaks for you.

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic