Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Read only 171 kids (age -1 to 24) in US have died of COVID19!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Read only 171 kids (age -1 to 24) in US have died of COVID19!

Jul 13, 2020, 2:20 PM

Hey, that’s senior football age.

What know you?

NOTE: Using the word ONLY wasn’t meant to belittle or make light of 171 deaths, but to show it’s not affecting the young which is good.

Geez, People get so sensitive or see things so differently or interpret their personal views when one simply reported something word-for-word read from an article.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"of COVID" or "with COVID"?***

Jul 13, 2020, 2:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: "of COVID" or "with COVID"?***

Jul 13, 2020, 2:30 PM

Very good question.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Read only 171 kids (age -1 to 24) in US have died of COVID19!

Jul 13, 2020, 2:27 PM

You trying to make a point?

171 families with a hole in their hearts the size of Montana

Jul 13, 2020, 2:33 PM

may God give them peace.

Who in the #### would thumbs down a post

Jul 13, 2020, 7:03 PM

hoping for peace for someone who lost a child.

Holy ####.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

when Tim Scott and Trey Gowdy were asked

Jul 13, 2020, 9:28 PM

effectively "what is wrong with our society", they said that "it's no longer about integrity or doing the right thing - it's only about winning".

Two smart guys hitting the dumb-ass nail right on the head.

I guess the TD'er got me, didn't he? He wins the sandbox today, lol.

Re: Who in the #### would thumbs down a post

Jul 13, 2020, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Who in the #### would thumbs down a post ]

TU for ya.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not insignificant to the parents of those 171 kids.***

Jul 13, 2020, 2:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nor the several thousand kids who'll die every year

Jul 13, 2020, 2:58 PM

in car accidents, but we've never cancelled sports because of driving deaths which I imagine is his point.

Odd how a similar point wouldn't include the other

Jul 13, 2020, 3:01 PM

oh say 139,000 deaths over the age of 21. But hey, they were going to die anyways right?

well by all means we should shut the whole dang world down

Jul 13, 2020, 3:06 PM

and never show our beautiful tiger faces in public again.

Heres the kicker....probably should keep this under wraps....(there will be another virus, and then another virus, and then another virus...and so on)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's an odd and extreme opinion

Jul 13, 2020, 3:10 PM

but back to your point:

Wearing a seat belt seemed to help a lot with car deaths. For some reason social distancing and mask wearing are resisted quite a bit by the most selfish in our society (those that generally think the virus is a made up hoax).

This is the worst virus in 100+ years. And yes there will be another one, agreed.

You don't really think anyone wants to simply close society do you?

Yes, didn't you know?

Jul 13, 2020, 4:39 PM

There is a huge conspiracy by national, state, and local governments, as well as various medical societies and organizations, to control society by forcing businesses to close, tanking the economy, and making everyone miserable.

These thousands of leaders, politicians, and bureaucrats are all completely lacking in empathy, compassion, and concern for others, and are all about mind control, greed, and ending the world.

And if you can't see that, you're just an alarmist with your head in the sand.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Nor the several thousand kids who'll die every year

Jul 13, 2020, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Nor the several thousand kids who'll die every year ]

but these deaths are different because it was completely outside of their control. I'm never going to be in a car accident because I'm a really, really good driver. but this thing can take you no matter what.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

But canceling things because of COVID isn't just about

Jul 13, 2020, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Nor the several thousand kids who'll die every year ]

the number of people who will die from it.

If the entire U.S. population of ~320 million gets COVID-19, that's over 3 million deaths from COVID assuming a roughly 1% death rate.

Based on what we know so far, that means about 50-60 million will be hospitalized.

Millions more will have other complications such as heart attacks, strokes, chronic lung issues, etc.

So comparing COVID deaths to traffic deaths isn't very logical when you dive into the numbers a bit more.

How is assuming everyone will get it logical in

Jul 13, 2020, 3:50 PM

Anyway?

Even the most virulent and contagious diseases in history (smallpox) avoided a good portion of the people.

3.3 million Americans have contracted it so far. So if 1% gets it, it’s safe to assume 100% will?

Some experts have predicted at least 70-80% of the U.S.

Jul 13, 2020, 4:35 PM

population will get COVID if we don't mask/distance/focus on good hygiene, and/or find an effective treatment for it. Others have been even more dismal in predicting that "everyone will get it."

We do know that it is highly contagious. Why take a chance on a disease that is known to kill some people, cause significant long-term issues in others, and potentially overwhelm the medical system?

I think lBb's post was saying "let the kids play" because

Jul 13, 2020, 4:51 PM

they are going to be alright if they get The Covid. Or maybe he was saying "let the kids go to school" because they are going to be alright...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, they will.

Jul 13, 2020, 8:10 PM

The issue is who they will come in contact with once they get it.

What about their coaches, many of whom aren't low risk for complications?

What about their parents, many of whom aren't low risk for complications?

What about their grandparents, most of whom aren't low risk for complications?

And what about everyone those people above then come into contact with, etc.?

To make it truly a very safe activity at this point, college football would need to occur without coaches, without contact with families, and without travel. And obviously without fans. And such a situation simply isn't possible.

You can cough and spread auto accidents?***

Jul 13, 2020, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Nor the several thousand kids who'll die every year ]

There's something in these hills.

Why do some of you act so concened about the deaths.....

Sep 14, 2015, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Not insignificant to the parents of those 171 kids.*** ]

of 171 Americans under the age of 24 but don't care about the overwhelming number in the same age group who have died of the flu? Yes, the numbers are far greater for the flu! In fact the CDC.gov website reported that 477 Americans died of the flu under the age of 18 for the 2018/2019 flu season. Their next category was 18-49 which went well beyond the age of 24 so I didn't include it.

Pay attention to the numbers.....477 dead from the flu under the age of 18!!!! But nobody is reporting it because it is not in the mainstream media or the liberals narrative and the flu has been with us since man has been on this earth and, the coronavirus will probably also be with us forever. If the CDC kept records up to age 24 for the flu, I am sure it would bring the total up to 600+, which is several times that of Covid-19.

Get a grip people and don't act so sensitive about a statistic that is minimal considering the population of this country and, continue to shame those of us who feel that the cure is now way worse than the problem. We have destroyed businesses who will never reopen, caused untold number of people to have nervous breakdowns, stress induced heart attacks, some of which have caused deaths, increased rate of suicide, increased foreclosure rates causing more stress, caused the government to take on $6 trillion in debt.....I can go on and on.

Somebody responded to me the other day "but, we have a vaccine for the flu." If we have a vaccine for the flu, that is effective, why does the CDC report 35,000-50,000 flu deaths per year? Folks that is a lot of deaths considering there is a vaccine!

Should we outlaw automobiles since they are the root cause of the deaths of 35,000 Americans annually?

Rest easy everyone, everything will change after the election.

Comparing COVID-19 to the flu is the wrong way of looking

Sep 14, 2015, 9:13 AM

at it.

With all due respect, the concern over COVID isn't just about deaths. With a car accident, the flu, or basically any other point of comparison, those issues are typically either you die or you survive without issue. With COVID, we are seeing a lot of comorbidities in those who survive COVID. Some of these are long-term issues.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/But-canceling-things-because-of-COVID-isnt-just-about-27490221

Re: Comparing COVID-19 to the flu is the wrong way of looking

Jul 13, 2020, 4:35 PM

People don't have long term complications from car accidents? That's good to know.

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Link to where I said people don't have long-term

Jul 13, 2020, 4:37 PM

complications from car accidents?

Re: Link to where I said people don't have long-term

Jul 13, 2020, 4:41 PM

Literally one post up: "With a car accident...either you die or you survive without issue."

142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

I see you're back to misinterpreting someone else's words

Jul 13, 2020, 4:48 PM

and/or not reading carefully.

That is a sad way to be for someone who routinely criticizes others for making straw man arguments.

My post above actually stated the following:

With all due respect, the concern over COVID isn't just about deaths. With a car accident, the flu, or basically any other point of comparison, those issues are typically either you die or you survive without issue. With COVID, we are seeing a lot of comorbidities in those who survive COVID. Some of these are long-term issues.

You missed the "typically" part.

Of course people can have long-term effects from a car accident. Do you actually think anyone - even someone you clearly dislike such as me - believes that no one ever has an injury from a car accident?

If so, you have a really, really poor opinion of others. And that's sad.

The point is that there is real concern that COVID is and will continue to cause long-term sequelae in those who survive it. So it's not merely a virus that causes a 1% death rate, but a highly contagious virus that causes a 1% death rate, and in addition to the many who have and will get it and will die, there will also be a lot who have chronic issues as a result.

I'm spelling this out for you in case your attempt to discredit me caused you to miss the point of my post.

Re: I see you're back to misinterpreting someone else's words

Jul 15, 2015, 8:29 AM

You specifically enumerated car accidents as typically either you "die or survive without issue." You used the word "typically" and considered that word strong enough that it delineated between things requiring these dire measures (covid) and things not requiring further efforts (flu, car accidents).

I used to think you were simply so in the tank for Brownell that you would employ any fallacy and misdirection to defend his tenure. What I am learning from your COVID postings is that you are simply profoundly incapable of honest/intelligent debate.

I might even agree with the point of your post. But making up statistics and lying is not an acceptable way to frame a debate. The fact that you and others so often employ such techniques is probably why there are so many people entrenched in the anti-mask, hoaxer side of the issue. Because a quick perusal of your posts on this topic is filled with bs.

So let me get this straight.

Jul 13, 2020, 8:16 PM

According to you, I'm:

-Incapable of honest/intelligent debate
-Making up statistics
-Lying
-Full of B.S.

You don't get to say that others are incapable of honest debate, simply because you disagree with their premise. I've actually used real statistics to support my point. I haven't lied once during this discussion. You just don't like it because you can't stand me and/or hate my point of view on this.

So in the future, please put me on ignore or scroll past my posts. Your "critiques" of me offer nothing to the conversation, except showing that you aren't really capable of having an adult conversation with someone you don't like and/or disagree with.

Re: So let me get this straight.

Jul 13, 2020, 9:39 PM

Your use of a 1% fatality is nowhere close to current CDC estimates. You allude to long term and permanent health consequences related to COVID without sources and I am unaware of any studies demonstrating any real statistics in this regard. Your posts are essentially unverified social media memes typed out.

Re: Why do some of you act so concened about the deaths.....

Jul 13, 2020, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Why do some of you act so concened about the deaths..... ]

Were all 35k wearing seatbelts?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2020, 5:00 PM

Probably not but you don't fight a logical fallacy with another. Some of our 135,000 covid dead were certainly masking and observing social distancing.

Jul 13, 2020, 5:35 PM

We are agreeing. My view is caution, but I am not discounting the stupidity of the media. For me, I have kids and that is what is first. While I agree a whole lot with those pointing out the generalizations and just plain false information out there, I’m also not in the camp that thinks this is a conspiracy.

What if “they” guaranteed an outcome of 95% reduction in new cases and .0003% death rate until a vaccine was established if everyone wore a mask, distanced and did whatever else is recommended for two months... Would the world conform then? Everyone could go back to work and the economy would level out and sports proceed. I say no. I believe there would still be a faction that says if we don’t ban cars because people die as a result of them, then I’m not wearing a mask because I’m willing to take the risk. That’s a head-scratcher to me.

No, many people STILL wouldn't wear a mask and distance.

Jul 13, 2020, 8:22 PM

Because there is a subset of the population who refuses to do anything that is recommended by the government, medical establishment, etc. They think they know better, and resent rules. They would rather die "being their own person" than do what is advised/encouraged.

If the rest of society weren't potentially impacted by their decision, I wouldn't care.

I gave you a TU because I feel sorry for you.

Jul 13, 2020, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Why do some of you act so concened about the deaths..... ]

LOL at you bringing up logical fallacies when you commit them routinely. It's comical at this point.

The problem with your retort is that it's generally easy to determine whether an auto fatality victim was wearing a seatbelt during an accident, while pretty difficult to conclude with 100% certainty if a COVID-19 victim consistently wore a mask. However, common sense and science tell us that COVID-19 transmission is much less likely when someone has been wearing a mask, socially distances, and practices good hygiene in general.

Jul 13, 2020, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Why do some of you act so concened about the deaths..... ]

Automobiles can’t be the root cause. Got to dig a little deeper to solidify that assertion like DUI, experience, road conditions, weather, equipment failure, natural disaster, Animal crossing, etc.

Why was there a fatality? It’s not because someone drove a car. It’s because someone drove the car off a cliff.

LbB, thank you for today's talking points.***

Jul 13, 2020, 3:06 PM

Re: LbB, thank you for today's talking points.***

Jul 13, 2020, 3:59 PM

Actually, I just thought this was the same thread from four months ago where opposing views Refuse to acknowledge both have valid points and concerns, but would rather yell at the sky when they have absolutely no control over what the country decides to do going forward.

I am looking forward to seeing the stats 1-2 years from....

Jul 13, 2020, 4:48 PM

that will give us the increased deaths due to heart attacks per 100,000 population when compared to the past 10 years, increased child abuse, suicides per 100,000 population, lost jobs, lost businesses (the government has already forecast that 100,000 businesses will permanently close as a result of the shut down) and reduced GDP, increased government debt, etc., etc. This is absolutely ludicrous what we are doing to our lives and economy over a virus that most people don't know they have (you sure as he** know when you have the flu), that mostly kills the aged and those of all ages with compromised health (what do you think most diseases and viruses do)?

Re: I am looking forward to seeing the stats 1-2 years from....

Jul 13, 2020, 4:54 PM

Why would anyone look forward to that?

Cheer up friend.

Jul 13, 2020, 6:24 PM

It is sad for all the families that have lost someone to this scurge upon the world. If it is found without doubt that this virus was man made and leashed upon the world accidentally or intentionally, that the country responsible is destroyed and erased from history.

I'm afraid this is going to be with us forever now and just like the flu, auto accidents, muggings, shootings, farming, construction work and cancer to name a few, that COVID-19 is just another risk added to the formula for the big insurance companies to raise life insurance rates.

I take a flu shot every year, wear my seat belt when driving, try to avoid areas where muggings and shooting occur, I have to do work on the farm which includes some construction and survived a lesser serious cancer. Now I'll do what I can to avoid COVID-19 for as long as I can.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2020, 6:46 PM

Since you don't seem interested in actually making a point I'll assume you're saying "well we might as well open football/school since kids fare well".

Though the youth are safe you're disregarding the fact that you can't put everyone 1-24 in a bubble and they will have to interact with older people, including elderly who are dropping like flies (don't you fit in this category?). That mean's that a 60+ Danny Poole, Robbie Caldwell, or Professor/Teacher XXXXXX will be exposed to a virus that could kill them every day. The K-12 teachers, janitors, cafeteria workers, and bus drivers will do so for very low pay too.

I'm not trying to be a #### or rude but some people are not seeing reality here. I believe you're one of our older folks around here. When you go to hug your kids or grand-kids they could literally be killing you while showing ZERO symptoms. Not only could you die but you could die alone in a hospital after days or weeks of misery. So yea little Bill 3rd will most likely be just fine until he figures out he may have killed his dad/grandpa.

Excellent post, thank you!***

Jul 13, 2020, 8:25 PM

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic