Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for you vinyl hipster types.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 642

Question for you vinyl hipster types.

Nov 17, 2020, 3:59 PM

As I mentioned a while back, I bought my wife a record player and occasionally I like to pump those vinyl jams. Thing is my speakers generate quite a bit of bass and they're on either side of the record player, so the needle vibrates across the record and spoils my listening enjoyment. I can turn the bass down to -10, but I still have to keep the volume somewhat low to prevent vibration. If I could move the speakers farther apart I would. Is there some kind of adjustment I can make to the arm or the needle to reduce the effects of the vibration?

TIA hugs 'n kisses GFY

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just connect it to some bluetooth ear buds.***

Nov 17, 2020, 4:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But that would upset neither my wife nor the neighbors.***

Nov 17, 2020, 4:10 PM

LOL. Old days we taped coins on the needle to stop skips

Nov 17, 2020, 4:02 PM

but that probably causes damage to the needle itself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I read about that!***

Nov 17, 2020, 4:09 PM

Murc got me like

Nov 17, 2020, 5:06 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beat me to it

Nov 17, 2020, 4:11 PM [ in reply to LOL. Old days we taped coins on the needle to stop skips ]

Been there, tears up the record and the needle.

My best turntable had an adjustable counterweight to get the perfect balance.

csb - one year we had the Scabbard and Blade dinning in at the Clemson House upstairs ballroom. The DJ set up his turntables on the main floor and every time we started dancing the needle would skip from the vibration in the wood floor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Now that you bring it up, I had one of those also

Nov 17, 2020, 4:14 PM

cannot remember the brand name. I had an awesome system from Don Jones Stereo - Marantz receiver and Bose 901's, but I cannot remember the turntable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

more and more I realize cu85tiger and Father G are actually

Nov 17, 2020, 6:12 PM

twins.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bros

Nov 17, 2020, 6:15 PM

for sure.

Yep***

Nov 17, 2020, 6:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

so how long have you known each other in person?

Nov 17, 2020, 7:39 PM

and was that even related to TNet in any way?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yet to meet

Nov 17, 2020, 9:41 PM

but we both are BBQ judges so we are hopefully soon to make that happen.

Re: you can try these, or similar

Nov 17, 2020, 4:05 PM

supposed to dampen vibrations

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Star-IsoNode-Feet-Small/dp/B003P4JS2Y/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2

Back in the day we suspended the turntable from the ceiling....

Nov 17, 2020, 4:12 PM

which also fixed the problem of floor vibrations making the needle skip. By floor vibrations I mean fat people bounding across the room to get another beer, or people dancing, etc. Nothing we bought, the suspension system was homemade with wire & plywood...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

LOL you called cu85tiger® fat***

Nov 17, 2020, 4:13 PM

That system works great except when I’m upstairs

Nov 17, 2020, 4:45 PM

banging Moo’s fat girlfriend

;)

Panta Rhei Heraclitus

but it never made the needle skip, so there's that...***

Nov 17, 2020, 5:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Back in the day we suspended the turntable from the ceiling....

Nov 17, 2020, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Back in the day we suspended the turntable from the ceiling.... ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's the idea, just mine was a bit more, um... "homemade"

Nov 17, 2020, 5:11 PM

more "homemade" than drawing it in microsoft paint???***

Nov 18, 2020, 7:14 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

find a way to move the speakers. Gotta be a way.

Nov 17, 2020, 6:08 PM

maybe buy more wire?

Spend some serious bucks on this option

Nov 17, 2020, 6:17 PM

https://acousticalsolutions.com/product/vibration-isolation-pad/?attribute_pa_style=standard-neoprene&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_-_Main_-_Google&utm_content=Vibration&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhs79BRD0ARIsAC6XpaWLGO3YByMCtifZp4StdLy_iU-YJAXs9ws_kycJ_k_L_4pj67BnIHAaAhZfEALw_wcB

Re: Question for you vinyl hipster types.

Nov 17, 2020, 7:50 PM

If you bought her a turntable (a record player is a low end turntable) it should have adjustable weight for the needle and another adjustment for anti skating . Anti-skate is an adjustment you make that makes the needle land the same location on the record it took off from if it does jump for some reason. Do not add a lot of weight to the needle as it will damage the needle and wear down your record over time.
Also an old fraternity house trick was to put a pillow under the turntable and that would absorb most vibrations.

Do I qualify for being a vinyl hipster?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have my dad's old collection and enjoy listening to it

Nov 17, 2020, 9:33 PM

When I needed to isolate the record player so it didn't skip, I put the record player on 4 bricks that had foam feet stuck on them. It helped isolate the vibrations of the speakers and floor from the record player.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have my dad's old collection and enjoy listening to it

Nov 17, 2020, 9:37 PM

No hard feeling brother?

I hold no grudges at all

Nov 17, 2020, 10:11 PM

We may disagree, and over a beer I'd ne happy to discuss some time, but I won't argue when both folks aren't on the same page (admittedly I'm prone to enjoying arguments, but I have no interest in non-productive debate).

God bless, and here's to better (no matter your political stance) days ahead.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hold no grudges at all

Nov 17, 2020, 10:24 PM

thanks brother, I got a little carried away. I can see that we have to stick together as brothers in Christ. I really had no idea their were so many non believers. May God be with you.

And you as well.

Nov 17, 2020, 10:34 PM

I appreciate the words, and would humbly request you temper your combination of your faith and your politics. I may well be wrong, I admit that. But there's no reason for division in our Faith. God bless.

It’s like you never had a shidddy portable CD player in the

Nov 17, 2020, 10:36 PM

Seat of your car running through the tape deck.....put a pillow under it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Move the speakers.

Nov 18, 2020, 7:16 AM

Leave the "lid" open while playing records. Closing the lid causes mine to sound like crap. It creates some sort of echo chamber that is picked up on the record.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Replies: 30
| visibility 642
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic