Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
David Skara
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,719

David Skara

Jan 24, 2018, 9:45 AM

Anyone else notice that during our extended scoring drought in the second half last night, David Skara was in almost the entire time? That coaching decision makes absolutely no sense to me. Brownell says that he's the best defensive player on the team, which I think is suspect, but Skara has absolutely no offensive ability from what we've seen so far. He looks like he doesn't even belong on the court. Still scratching my head on this one..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you can email your thoughts to Coach Brownell...

Jan 24, 2018, 10:00 AM

sroark@clemson.edu

i'm sure he'd love to know you question him.

Look, we could have had Boogie Mckintyre and Terrance Oglesby come off the bench and play last night and things would have been much of the same.

They settled in on defense, shut down Reid, and nobody else played well. They shot it well in the 2nd half and it was all she wrote.

Chalk last night up to an anomaly. Now, if we lay an egg at GT on sunday, then i'll start to worry.

last night was the perfect storm. Short turnaround, on the road, against #2, against the best D in the country, 1st game without our best player with a very short time to prepare. AND... we played badly.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our coaches name is Brownell, not Roark.

Jan 24, 2018, 10:08 AM

hth this helps

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

link:

Jan 24, 2018, 10:13 AM

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205504951

hth!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, that's not directly e-mailing Brad Brownell.

Jan 24, 2018, 10:18 AM

Same for Dabo, the e-mail address listed is "wmunson," which obviously means for an e-mail to actually get to Dabo it has to go through Don Munson first.

hth

ok, so you are proving my point....

Jan 24, 2018, 10:32 AM

nobody gives out the head coaches personal email. so if YOU or ME or any other jack leg on tigernet wants to contact coach brownell, we must go through susan roark who is his assistant.

thanks

hth!!!

On the contrary, your point was to e-mail Coach Brownell,

Jan 24, 2018, 11:01 AM

to which I pointed out you'd be e-mailing his assistant and your e-mail will fall on blind eyes (akin to deaf ears).

Basically, helping you not waste your time.

You're welcome!

Re: you can email your thoughts to Coach Brownell...

Jan 24, 2018, 10:24 AM [ in reply to you can email your thoughts to Coach Brownell... ]

I agree. I wasn't able to watch, but Simms must have played decent looking at his stat line. I knew it was going to be tough sledding with how UVA defends. Mitchell and Reed had a terrible night shooting and turnovers were a problem as they have been at other times this year. It will take them a couple of games to get used to Grantham not being on the floor.

It's a Legit question

Jan 24, 2018, 10:27 AM [ in reply to you can email your thoughts to Coach Brownell... ]

I think one of the things Brad (to his credit) has done is realize that you can't play grinding defensive games in the 50's and make a living at Clemson. UVa, different program, different story.

To his credit, he seems to be more apt to find and play players who can put the ball in the hoop now than he was early in his tenure here. So I too find Skara's seemingly increasing minutes to be questionable. It reminds me of the offensively challenged Clemson players of the past.

This started to hit me during the ND game. Skara seemed to play as much as Thomas. Thomas was not in foul trouble at all. He picked up his 3rd foul inside of 10 minutes remaining to go. With Skara in the game it's 4 vs 5 at the offensive end of the floor.

I'm not claiming to know basketball at all, but I can easily observe what lineup has more scoring potential and anytime Skara is in and Thomas is out our offense is limited to whatever mitchell and reed can create or 3-point shots. This isn't just conjecture, advance stats show his player efficiency rating and total +/- are some of the lowest on the roster. Yes his Defensive +/- is 3rd on the team, but his offense is the WORST of any player over 10 minutes played this year, making his overall +/- 11th on the team. I know stats don't tell the whole story but based on observation and the advanced metrics, he hurts our chances to win more than he helps them when he's getting regular minutes in offensive possessions.

All this being said, Playing a defense as good as UVA, at UVA, trying to transition to playing without Grantham who contributed in ways not always reflected on the stat sheet was a really tough task and nobody should be terribly surprised with a double digit loss. I know the blowout and lack of offense was really disappointing given how we has been playing, but we weren't going to win this game. I just hope they find their post-Grantham rhythm before we lose a game we really should win.

Re: you can email your thoughts to Coach Brownell...

Jan 24, 2018, 10:31 AM [ in reply to you can email your thoughts to Coach Brownell... ]

No need to email coach. Just stating my opinion based on what I've observed. Last night we needed offense, not more defense, and even though we are thinner without Grantham, there are better scoring options at that position than Skara. At some point we need to just play Thomas and Donnal together as both pose different types of scoring threats. Brownell is holding Donnal as a backup to Thomas because of his tendency to get in foul trouble, but with Grantham out Thomas is going to have to really work on not fouling so that he and Donnal can be in together.

i was being condescending, my apologies... i think the last

Jan 24, 2018, 10:35 AM

12 minutes or so of the game, we were just tinkering with different things to work towards the future. Scott Spencer is NOT going to play 13 minutes in an acc game thats in question. BUT, we may need him in the future so last night, since the game was not in question with about 14 mins to play, coach was trying some different things

Probably because of his defense and that we are thin on...

Jan 24, 2018, 10:17 AM

the bench. His offense is atrocious. His offense reminds me of mine in pickup games. Although I am a ball hog to top it all off.

didn't watch it (and not b/c I couldn't)

Jan 24, 2018, 10:27 AM

I should say, couldn't find it anywhere on my TV, adjusted antennas, no help there... this said, you sound like you make a good point. Most viewers don't seem to realize that the primary goal of the game is to put a certain leather sphere through a round ring, and you can have all the "D" in the world, and where does that get you? So you must have talent offensively, and you really can't teach this talent too much - you either have it or you don't. Sounds like BB didn't feel like he had anyone better in Skara's place that could score/put it through the ring, or the loss of D would be too much. This said, it goes back to Jimmies and Joes, and this goes back to (sigh) recruiting -- of which Clemson has been marginal at for years and years - at least to compete at the upper tier ACC level.

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,719
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic