Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
will The Red River "Rivalry" get your view this weekend?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,376

will The Red River "Rivalry" get your view this weekend?

Oct 6, 2020, 8:32 PM

This game has to be - just under the Michigan vs. 0 - 4 - 0 St. game - "D-Most-Over-Hyped-Nostalgic-Lovers-Get-In-They-Feelings-Over-It-Game around"!
All that said, "I watch it"! I won't lie. I like to see some of the carrying on that comes with it.

But, will any of you be watching this one?

It has lost a bunch of it's luster after two Oklahoma losses! Texas losing last week didn't help either! Just wondering if some of you will be taking care of honey do's over watching this one or will you tackle that HDL early Saturday, LOL!

Of course, if your like me, nothing will get in the way of watching the Tigers! The wife knows that too! Shhhh! Be quiet though, **whisper**but yeah she know that!

LOL!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: will The Red River "Rivalry" get your view this weekend?

Oct 6, 2020, 8:46 PM

You better believe I'm watching. I want Tom Herman's buns on the grille! Too bad the idiots at Texas Tech had the collapse of the century two weeks ago or UT would go into this with two losses like OU.

If Rattler has enough time, he can dissect UT's secondary. But that is a huge if.

On the other side, Sam Ehlinger is an absolute warrior at QB for UT (last week excluded. That was just plain weird). He has my respect. Seems like there is a dark cloud over the team affecting everyone. They aren't having fun and it shows. Hopefully this continues Saturday, OU beats UT and they go in the tank the rest of the season.

I understand most people on this forum couldn't care less about college football in Texas. But things are radioactive at UT right now and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2020, 9:09 PM

MoCity said:

You better believe I'm watching. I want Tom Herman's buns on the grille! Too bad the idiots at Texas Tech had the collapse of the century two weeks ago or UT would go into this with two losses like OU.

If Rattler has enough time, he can dissect UT's secondary. But that is a huge if.

On the other side, Sam Ehlinger is an absolute warrior at QB for UT (last week excluded. That was just plain weird). He has my respect. Seems like there is a dark cloud over the team affecting everyone. They aren't having fun and it shows. Hopefully this continues Saturday, OU beats UT and they go in the tank the rest of the season.

I understand most people on this forum couldn't care less about college football in Texas. But things are radioactive at UT right now and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

The craziest thing to me MoCity is the fact Texas in many people's minds(not mine) is the Mecca of H.S. Football. Many of the top athletes from Texas though end up at Oklahoma, one of the Cali schools, LSU, Bama or Clemson! I think Florida has a few from Texas.
You would think stay home, represent my state! It has to be something to it. Texas and Texas A&M are the "big schools"! The p5 monsters. TCU(yes the horned frogs. . . .i know about G. Pat), SMU, Houston, Texas Tech i.m.o are that 2nd tier in Texas! Followed by Utep, Texas St, etc. in that third tier.

With so many kids playing ball one would think for certain those two would be getting the best of the best! They do sometimes but they still look out of state away from "the Mecca"!

I imagine many of those kids see Austin as "may as well be Clemson, SC or Tuscaloosa, AL" it's so far away from where I am in Texas away! Is that some of it? How far is College Station and Austin from Houston, Dallas-Ft. Worth, San Antonio, El Paso?

Oct 6, 2020, 11:01 PM

The old days are long gone.

Leaving Texas and getting away from home is an ego boost for today's footballers. CFB recruiting has been national for many years so it's not surprising when you think about it. Texas is centrally located so SEC and other schools are not far away. In northern Texas, OU has just as many fans as UT. OU and LSU may as well be Texas state schools when it comes to FB recruiting.

Combine that with the longstanding mediocrity from UT and A&M it's no wonder guys can't wait to pack up and leave.

Clemson needs to snag a 5-star OT or LB soon to get people talking and gain momentum here. We are really missing out.

Seriously though, Texas IS the Mecca of HS football but that has nothing to do with where guys want to play in college. The two haven't been related for quite some time.

To give you an idea how insane it is some places: Allen HS (outside of Dallas) spent $60 million on their stadium in 2016!

Oct 7, 2020, 12:16 AM [ in reply to Re: will The Red River "Rivalry" get your view this weekend? ]

I’d say Austin & College Station are both closer to Houston than DFW. DFW to Austin is about 3 hours in a car, not a big deal to me.

On the Academic side (being a TX resident) my feeling is that the state of Texas has made a mistake in it’s admittance policy to its best universities. For a state resident to be automatically admitted to UT, you MUST be in the top 6% of your HS graduating class. The problem is not all HS graduating classes are equal. My youngest just graduated HS with a 100.2 avg, she was not top 6%. Had we moved 4 miles further west, she could have been top 1%. at the next HS over. UT is looking to pull students in nationwide but they do so to the neglect of their own citizens. The first mission of the public state University should be to educate its young state citizens. Texas fails that mission.

On the athletic side, I find Texas (the whole state) to be unimaginative. Texas is overly hung up on bigger, stronger, faster and widely ignores all other attributes. It’s why a guy like Drew Brees (from Austin) wound up at Purdue and the list of guys like that is very long.

Throw in the crooked “who’s your daddy” nonsense and whaalaa......you get Texas’ results.

Oct 7, 2020, 7:24 PM

Gumby® said:

I’d say Austin & College Station are both closer to Houston than DFW. DFW to Austin is about 3 hours in a car, not a big deal to me.

On the Academic side (being a TX resident) my feeling is that the state of Texas has made a mistake in it’s admittance policy to its best universities. For a state resident to be automatically admitted to UT, you MUST be in the top 6% of your HS graduating class. The problem is not all HS graduating classes are equal. My youngest just graduated HS with a 100.2 avg, she was not top 6%. Had we moved 4 miles further west, she could have been top 1%. at the next HS over. UT is looking to pull students in nationwide but they do so to the neglect of their own citizens. The first mission of the public state University should be to educate its young state citizens. Texas fails that mission.

On the athletic side, I find Texas (the whole state) to be unimaginative. Texas is overly hung up on bigger, stronger, faster and widely ignores all other attributes. It’s why a guy like Drew Brees (from Austin) wound up at Purdue and the list of guys like that is very long.

Throw in the crooked “who’s your daddy” nonsense and whaalaa......you get Texas’ results.

Really good insight Gumby! You explained that really well(even I could understand it, lol). That seems extreme as far as the 6% thing goes. I mean, how is it fair that someone with a 100.2 doesn't automatically qualify? I guess that's to keep admission under control or something? But, seems extreme and a bit messed up!
As far as football - I had someone else tell me - and I don't live there just going off what I am told. But, they said, b/c of the spotlight h.s. football players get in TX many of the best players only want to be on offense. Tackles don't get you in the papers - scoring TD's does or gaining a bunch of yards. TX is also having the same problem everybody else is - kids turning to the streets over sports. Don't know! I think you are right about the bigger and stronger mentality too!

It lost it for me when they went all Politically Correct and

Oct 6, 2020, 8:47 PM

changed the name from "Red River Shootout".

And, furthermore, Georgia vs Florida should still ALWAYS be known as the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party. Because, let's face it, even after the name change, the evidence is in the parking lots!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2020, 9:01 PM

The Red River has done dried up.

Oct 6, 2020, 9:16 PM

Maybe. I have a spare $100 million laying around and I’ve been looking for a way to turn it into a bucket of fertilizer. They seem to have mastered it.

Oct 6, 2020, 9:19 PM

I'll watch so as long as the game is watchable. I'm a CF fan as well, so even rivalries of others have my interest.....now of course seeing some butthurt UT fans or a sooner schooner wipeout might put a grin on my face.

Oct 6, 2020, 9:22 PM

I'll probably watch it to see who goes down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2020, 10:09 PM

No

Oct 6, 2020, 10:30 PM

Yes, for sure! I've been to the Red River Rivalry four times with a good friend who is an OU alum. It's an awesome experience.

The whole city of Dallas turns into a big pep rally before the game. The bars all have Crimson & White and Burnt Orange & White balloons, play both schools fight songs, there are street parties around the city, and it takes place at the State Fair of Texas.

Crowd is split 50/50. Texas fans shout "OU sucks!" in their fight song. OU fans, including the marching band, show the "horns down" sign. Two great marching bands: The Show Band of the Southwest, the Texas Longhorn Band and The Pride of Oklahoma marching band.

Really cool thing that I am happy I got to witness in person. Will be strange with the covid protocols this year, but I will still watch it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2020, 3:37 AM

I always liked the name of the game.

Oct 7, 2020, 7:16 PM [ in reply to Re: will The Red River "Rivalry" get your view this weekend? ]

Yes, for sure! I've been to the Red River Rivalry four times with a good friend who is an OU alum. It's an awesome experience.

The whole city of Dallas turns into a big pep rally before the game. The bars all have Crimson & White and Burnt Orange & White balloons, play both schools fight songs, there are street parties around the city, and it takes place at the State Fair of Texas.

Crowd is split 50/50. Texas fans shout "OU sucks!" in their fight song. OU fans, including the marching band, show the "horns down" sign. Two great marching bands: The Show Band of the Southwest, the Texas Longhorn Band and The Pride of Oklahoma marching band.

Really cool thing that I am happy I got to witness in person. Will be strange with the covid protocols this year, but I will still watch it.

Cool insight on the happenings around the city! I bet that would be pretty cool to see. Thanks for sharing that!

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,376
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic